Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand about the mecanic, sometimes a series of bad events make things very complicated, about the carb that makes total sense and I didn't think of that. Keep up the spirit and I too dream about the day I will drive her again. I don't know what it is about these trucks, as I am not even a truck guy to begin with, have always been a road race and drag guy, but she sure got me hooked too!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:58 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
She knows she's purring and standing proud now. Reminds me of mine years ago with the wagon wheels and blue paint job.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Lons81
She knows she's purring and standing proud now. Reminds me of mine years ago with the wagon wheels and blue paint job.

I wouldn't go that far... 22R's don't do much purring at all, it's more along the lines of a very rapid "cack cack cack cack cack cack cack cack" LOL
Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ lol I was thinking chug chug chug chug
Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had to stop in a lot and make this momentous post.
Sunroof out...
Houston.. We have liftoff and
I'm driving my 1981 Toyota 4wd pickup home.

:-)
Old 08-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
WhooHooo. Glad everything worked out for you
Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Made it home great..only to find out the battery was dead.
Battery is new.
So.....that old alternator has died.
Tips on changing it?
Do I have to drain the radiator and pull that hose to get to it?
I've only changed alternators on my big truck and it's up front and to the side, no problem getting to it.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Yea unfortunately you have to drain it and take off the lower hose. Not as bad as it sounds though. With my big GM alt, I actually have to take off my fan shroud also.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM

This is baby girl HOME finally! It was pretty amazing driving her home...so smoothe shifting. The mechanic even said so.

Alternator to replace. I don't think I'll need to drain that rad to get to that bottom bolt, but I could be wrong. I know I can wiggle it out, plenty of wiggle room. But, that bottom bolt is hard to get to. I can feel it. Don't know what size, 11 or 12 I guess.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I removed my stock alternator after it died and did the 2nd gen ir upgrade. I didn't have to take off that hose. It's easier to wiggle it out if you get underneath and do it from the bottom and push it up. Even easier if you have a second person up top to help guide it and bring it out. Good luck!

Oh and congrats on getting her running! Hope everything keeps going well
Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yotantn
This is baby girl HOME finally! It was pretty amazing driving her home...so smoothe shifting. The mechanic even said so.

Alternator to replace. I don't think I'll need to drain that rad to get to that bottom bolt, but I could be wrong. I know I can wiggle it out, plenty of wiggle room. But, that bottom bolt is hard to get to. I can feel it. Don't know what size, 11 or 12 I guess.
Take the splash guard off to get to the bottom bolt... 4-5 14mm bolts on the splash guard.. 14mm on the lower alternator bolt 12mm on top... wiggle it out...
Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by gmack192
Take the splash guard off to get to the bottom bolt... 4-5 14mm bolts on the splash guard.. 14mm on the lower alternator bolt 12mm on top... wiggle it out...
thanks bud, that don't look too hard.

I was just hoping to have some fun with her this weekend..lol..hang out with her, finish the dash...good scrubbing and so forth.
I'll probably get around to doing all that. Just have to get it running again. Want to scoot around town in her.. lol..sunroof out, wind in my eyebrows. lol
no loud music though as I still haven't settled on a radio/dash/bezel setup.
It's really good to have her back in my garage tonight even though her charging system is deaderthanahammer.
She's home.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:55 PM

Had her out today. She's doing great.
Put the new alt on but for whatever reason, she's not getting power TO the alt. So, have to get that fixed next week.
But maaaan, she's looking and driving good. Felt good to pop that top out and cruise along again. Turned a couple of heads.
Gonna put the topper back on over labor day weekend and maybe get the bugshield back on and dash all back in.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 PM

I actually might be getting a topper for mine next week. If I do then you need to get yours on and the bug shield and we will kinda be twins, sounds like a photo shoot to me lol.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by 83Toyota88
I actually might be getting a topper for mine next week. If I do then you need to get yours on and the bug shield and we will kinda be twins, sounds like a photo shoot to me lol.
I agree, sounds like a photo op! We'll make it happen.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow congrats, that must be a great feeling! Not to sure what to tell you about the alternator, exept visual inspection of the plug and wires of the alternator and maybe check all fuses.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by gillesdetrail
Wow congrats, that must be a great feeling! Not to sure what to tell you about the alternator, exept visual inspection of the plug and wires of the alternator and maybe check all fuses.
Thanks man. It is a wonderful feeling. As I was driving it yesterday, I couldn't help but roll back a little to who had ridden in this truck with me over the 32 years and now, some of them are gone..even my age. Life is quick I tell you. One in particular was my buddy Rich. He and his wife and baby were killed about 10 years ago by a drunk driver. Man, we wore out a cassette of Eddie and the Cruisers in that truck. lol. He was good stuff. I miss him still.
I actually took my son to work in it yesterday and was laughing as we bumped along in that little truck. He couldn't believe in 1984 that his mom and I drove, and pulled a lil popup, all the way from Tennessee to Galveston Island and back..Straight shift, no AC..but hey, we were young and the truck was new and we had some fun on that trip.
Actually, she drove part of the way. I got tired.
I also was telling him of how when I bought it my dad went with me to cosign for it. On the way back home, I was shifting like there was no tomorrow. Daddy looked over and said..'don't you think your shifting too much?' (he was a truckdriver).
I said 'naw..it feels good'. lol.
So yea, it's sort of a rush getting behind the wheel again.

To the alternator, dood that's over my head. I think I put it on there right, it's not that complicated and I actually got it off and back on pretty easily. Only think I could have botched up was breaking a wire in that plug, or put the hot wire on the wrong post and I put it on the only post that didn't have anything connected to it. (I had removed the black top and forgot which one was it)
I think there is something up with this Christmas light strand tangle mess.

Before the battery runs down again, I'm taking it to the GOOD mechanic here in town that got it going again and fixed the trash in the carb. I was texting him yesterday and he said one of his techs found a bad connection at that positive post so it probably has something to do with that. They were just trying to get it out, lights/carb/brakes, make it safe for me to play with over this labor day weekend.
So, they'll take their time and relook all of that next week.
That alternator I took off was the original on the truck by the way. So, I guess i got my $$ out of it.
It's all good.
And my wife...she's really enjoying me doing this.
And that makes it all the better.
P.S. Need parking brake cables if anyone has a lead on some.

Last edited by yotantn; 09-01-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Rock Auto has them listed for $15 to
$30. Be sure to get one for the longbed and 4WD. By their selection there is a bunch of different ones.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 83Toyota88
Rock Auto has them listed for $15 to
$30. Be sure to get one for the longbed and 4WD. By their selection there is a bunch of different ones.
Thanks for that. Ima have to get one cause I'm missing that brake and having to look for flat spots. lol

This is her with camper back on! She's pretty durn special. Still have to get her bugshield back on. Funny, I was out there tonight looking at where I had drilled holes before and had flashbacks. That bugshield was my FIRST anniversary present from my wife in 1984. I had wanted it a long time. And when I mounted it, I had drilled the holes in the wrong place, so I was mortified all night over that. Yes, I got it eventually right, but that night I couldn't hardly sleep over botching up my 3 year old truck I'd loved. Those wrong sets of holes are still there. lol. And, so now, I'm looking at em wondering...WHICH set was wrong?
I had the alternator checked and it was fine. I put it in right. But somewhere there was a fuseable link out. He eventually found it. She's charging and running well again. Not QUITE the power she once had, but...neither am I.
Squeeky clean tank and carb, new brakes all around..LIGHTS!
Getting new exhaust front to back next week. Sounds like chitty chitty bang bang right now.
About the only thing I don't have back is the dash radio/ac/air all hooked back up. But, I'm still out on how I'm going to handle the radio. Whether to find a new bezel and go back with stock radio OR somehow put a cool new radio in this bezel I cut up. I'm wanting to find a stock silver bezel with that top box again. I cut it out for an equalizer in early 80's...idiot. But put a stock radio back in, find one push button am/fm and then a hidden radio or something.
And running lights on front and back. They're pretty much gone. but the outside covers are there. The insides are rotted or something.
And, obviously, the bed has some rusted spots. The bed will have to be repaired and painted but that's down the road.
Ongoing project.
But right now....she's a lot of fun in my life...again.
I'm having a darn good time in this fall weather shifting and driving her with the sunroof out. And, it's pretty cool..I'm having folks call me and say HEY>>>I saw you coming through town in ole blue! lol.
I'm looking forward to getting a special knob/insert in the mail tomorrow.
AND my KC light covers shipped today. hahaha. Gotta keep it authentic and in the 80's we had some loud truck bling.

Last edited by yotantn; 09-04-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by yotantn
And running lights on front and back. They're pretty much gone. but the outside covers are there. The insides are rotted or something.
I had the same problem. When I removed my front fenders and bed the inside part of light literally fell apart in my hands when I touched it. All that was left was the lens cover on all 4 of them. You can but them off ebay or Rock Auto. Think AutoZone might be able to order them as well.

Quick Reply: yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread