Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Look what I found! 1981 Trekker!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Trevorthetrekker...I was pretty much kidding bout rubbing the grease in the wounds...lol. But with the work I do (hardwood floors and custom tile work)
I bleed on a daily basis.

For example...lol Did an Orthodontist office recently. Lots of cuts...lol.
Really cool floor though.

Name:  star_zps40b1e6d8.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  star1_zpse7149fe1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  152.0 KB

Name:  star2_zpsf1c81cc9.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  146.5 KB
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Really nice job on those floors! I'm the resident handyman for my friends and family so I've done my fair share of hardwoods and tile. I did some hardwood inlays for a friend before that turned out pretty good, but not they that intricate! I know how tedious it can be so that work is really impressive!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by kawazx636
Really nice job on those floors! I'm the resident handyman for my friends and family so I've done my fair share of hardwoods and tile. I did some hardwood inlays for a friend before that turned out pretty good, but not they that intricate! I know how tedious it can be so that work is really impressive!

Thanks kawazx636!! It is a double edge sword being the "handyman" isn't it? I get roped into more stuff than I care too with freinds and family.

Now..good news for the trekker. I have found a secret stash of toyota goodies untouched for several years, a tip and some internet research paid off this afternoon. Im making a trip to this place in a week or two and getting a cab, and some other stuff.

When I am there...I will take lots of pictures of what the guy has and post his contact info. He is out of the toyota game, but has a considerable stash to liquidate. I'll let you guys deal directly with him. We talked for an hour on the phone just now and he is a good ol boy with a passion for toyotas.

I havent really done alot as its been a crazy busy week of work. But I did a pretty thourogh inspection of my frame and am prett happy with its condition.

Mightymouse may come by Sunday to look over the trekker with me and
offer some tips/advise etc. May even get a floor for this thing from him,
and snatch up goodies from old boy as well.

All for now.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cuts and burns and smashed toes? CAN I JOIN THIS CLUB? Although, after 25 years with knives and boiling stuff, etc, I Lol...

NICE flooring work! > x2 .

And, loving the Rig! Gotta read a bitore, but nice work thus far.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-07-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM

I bet after 25 years you have sliced up some fingers!! Probably some bad cuts too. Big knives give me the willies. I can even watch when the wife carves a pumkin. Im sure she's gonna stab herself.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Btw, fell forya big time on the rot work! Geeesh!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Its all good. An excuse to buy a new welder. Been missing my old hobart handler. Looking at those 3 n 1 deals...you know tig/mig/plasma cutter.
Not like Im a shop...so I really dont need a high end one. Have a subpanel in the garage with 220v ready to go.

Im starting to embrace the rust. Rockers are pretty solid. Its not the old road salt eat it all up rust...its the sat for 14 years water pooling in the floorboard rust. I cant wait to get that cab and start the show.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 PM

Hahahaha, its way less now, and I move fast... But, if I say, work on tge rig for 20 hours in 2 days, the odds go up against me. And yes, bad burns, including a flash of ice cubes a guy dropped in the fryer right behind me while I was running the line. Serious burns all over my back, the back of my legs, and even on my neck. I've had knives fall off of a top shelf and go right through my foot, darn near, and even a couple instances where the very tips of my fingers came off due to working too quickly with the meat slicer. actually, the meat slicer incident was a 1 time thing, but I have had to run line cooks to the hospital because they weren't paying attention with a highly dangerous slicer, and in 1 case that peeled his finger back to the bone like a banana! I've forgotten at least 30 instances I'm sure out of the 100 that I can remember, ha ha ha ha ha. 1 of the worst is the fingertips, there are just so many nerves and it literally is agony. But, you throw on a coagulating finger cot, I'm going right back to throbbing work through the night! Lol. burns are pretty bad as well, but painkillers seem to work fairly well with those. But the fingertip thing? Holy crapoli! oh yeah, I actually had a piece of Pyrex go right through my rest from the bottom to the top. I field 2 diapers with blood before passing out on the floor in the hospital. That's what happens when you slip on slippery noodle water, and a smashing down on the glass! Hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 PM

My god! I was curling my fingers up into my fist when I read the banana peel comment. Enough !! Enough I say. You win. Some stiches here nd there and one successful back surgery for me. I ruptured 2 discs at once stepping from an un poured driveway up to a finished garage floor (bout 2 ft step up) with a 100lb bag of sand for a custom mudset shower pan, and pow..back popped and right leg went numb. Had a good Surgeon who actually fixed me. They say 85% of back surgerys fail.

Ok, I was just "face molested" by a really muddy german shepard licking me and climbing all over me. Great. Dang dogs...lol
Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Just catching up on your thread. My brother in law lays carpet and cuts are just a part of life for him. I helped one time and got a cut, super glue is his on site repair for you

Glad to hear you got the carb tore apart and put back together. I have plans of learning the carburator. Is it fairly straight forward to learn?

If I was looking at your tailgate right, there usually are some adjustments that can even out the gap on both sides. Getting body gaps set can be a real pain.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM

Super glue aye? Not poisoness? Hmmm....I go through alot of bandaids for sure. I dont do alot of carpet anymore...actually a big job last week...but Im more of a tile guy at heart. Was a local 18 tilesetter for years.

Well the carb was daunting. But...I got two of those plastic tray jobs that come in soft side tackle boxes. With all the little compartments. As I took off a part...it went in a compartment. I grouped assemblys together.

With the diagram in the carb kit, the FSM, and pictures on Yotatech..it was actually really easy. I had a gallon of chemdip and soaked the carb body...jets and such in it overnight. Rinsed em off and blew em out with air.
A big compressor is worth its eight in gold..lol. Reassembly went rather quick actually. I drilled out rivets that held choke on...then used little bolts and nuts to reattach it.

All in all...a 7/10 difficulty. Nothing too bad. If you are ever up near here..bring it by. I like budlight. LOL.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
further info for your hatch .
there are no adjustments for the TREKKER hatch .
3 holes are drilled into the glass , which corraspond to the hinge , and frame undernieth . 3 holes support it to the roof .. if you try to move it , this will happen

unless your holes on the topper/canopy are ovaled .. there is no adjustment ..

I still dont think the glass is stock , because a stock glass fit much better then that one

Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Im telling you its stock tempered glass...its the damn topper and bed that have spread....look how close the reveal is on pass side....even the lower hatch fiberglass....then look at drivers side.

I really wish it was just a glass thing. I really do. I hate tempered glass.
With a passion. Wrapping up final details on a big custom shower...hung the last shower door. Big mofo. Second I release tension to let it hang on its own...it blew up. Sounded like a .22 going off. Scared the crap out of me.
Cut my hands to ribbons. And glass crackled in the shower pan for half an hour...breaking into smaller and smaller pieces. Sounded like a bowl of rice crispies.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
I hear ya on the glass .. as above .

your only option then , in my opinion , is RESTORATION ..
in my build , you'll see the original metal Winnabego used rusted away and sides of the tub were "loosy goosy" , probabally same thing you have .

Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 PM

I pretty much realized it had to come apart...be reinforced. Lots of fiberglass work etc... Least I can get a new topper from you...save alot of work on the spidercracked sagging thin ass top.

Your pics are my only reference to what lies ahead.

You are the Lewis and Clark of Trekker restoration.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i remember seeing this on the stl craigslist, glad to see someone got it who will take care of it!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
you are stoked!!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what's happening with this? Any updates?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow bro....she runs, floor boards rusted , little rust elsewhere...id say it could be much worse! im jelly!

Update: browsing CL found your trekker...you give up or no time...? whats up with it?

Last edited by vital22re; 06-05-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Language
Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 AM

Ok. Lets get back to this one a bit.

Been studying slackers build thread for back half pictures and such.

Im going to start piddling with her again and do what I can till I figure out whats going to happen with the ruptured discs and crap in my back and neck.

Plans.....

Frame off restoration. Close to original as I can with a few safety/conv upgrades. Little bit of a lift.

Its terrible to have motivation and not being able to do alot being hurt right now.
What I need are a couple kids to yell at and make do work for free in the guise of teaching them.

Quick Reply: Look what I found! 1981 Trekker!