Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1983 Mirage Limited Edition...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1983 Mirage Limited Edition...

So this is my latest addition to the fleet and the story behind it...

Several months back someone had posted a question trying to get info regarding the Mirage Editions, which it seems many confuse with the Mohave Editions. Towards the end of the thread a new poster chimed in saying that her father had bought a Mirage Edition brand new back in 1983 and that her brother now had it since the fathers passing a few years ago. I was intriqued as I had never heard of a Mirage so I did some research to see what I could find about them, and then decided to send her a message asking about her Dads truck. She said he bought it new when he was in his 50's and drove it up into his 80's until his passing, she said it now has been sitting in her brothers garage and that it didn't get much use anymore. I mentioned to her at the time that if they ever decide to sell it that I may be interested in it. She said she would mention it to her brother and took down my contact info......well 6 months later I got a message saying her brother was downsizing the house and perhaps it was time to let the truck go. She sent me lots of pictures, mentioned she had all the paperwork since new, and all the maintainace records too. Well I figured finding another one owner in this original condition was slim to none so I made them a offer and they accepted.....3 weeks later it was on a trailer heading North. Other than a noisy input shaft bearing in the trans which I was told about early on, the trucks in great overall shape. I did spend the first week cleaning it up as it was filthy inside and out from sitting in the garage all those years. Moral of this story is... you never know, and it doesn't hurt to ask when a situation presents itself..

Name:  IMG_5745_zps9118e216.jpg
Views: 3728
Size:  102.5 KB
The following users liked this post:
Seth_PDX (01-17-2021)
Old 05-04-2014, 11:46 AM

Another angle...
Name:  IMG_5743_zps007d1a1e.jpg
Views: 2428
Size:  81.6 KB
Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 PM

Mirage Commercial...

Old 05-04-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks great. You have quite the collection. A guy I work with talks about a friend who had one way back in the day that was bought new off the lot. He says it was the nicest Toyota of that era he ever saw. And thats coming from a bodyman who worked on too many to count. Maybe he'll be able to track it down.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What differences do these trucks have in comparison to the regular SR5 or Mojave Edition?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Its beautiful. Put it on the list of ones I will be buying from you.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Roark
What differences do these trucks have in comparison to the regular SR5 or Mojave Edition?
They are basicly a SR5 with moon roof, chrome wheels, chrome grill and light surrounds, Mirage decals, roll bar and rear bumper and only came in the Metallic Grey. There's not a lot of info available that I can find other than the commercial and pictures of 3 others, it doesn't appear that there are many around. If anybody knows of another one I would like to know...thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 04:17 PM

I think you should sell me that one.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I thought it was going to be one of these and got all excited!

http://hd.sr5.com/?p=7
Old 05-04-2014, 04:29 PM

That's beautiful, and great story too, I'm super jealous!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Obviously I would love to have all of his Toyotas. But you know what....they could not be in better hands. They are in a sweet garage..with a Toyota dealership sign. Might as well be in a museum.

Best part....he shares them with us.

He better expect a vistor at some point, cause Im going to have to see those trucks someday.

Just glad you are on Yotatech man.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
Obviously I would love to have all of his Toyotas. But you know what....they could not be in better hands. They are in a sweet garage..with a Toyota dealership sign. Might as well be in a museum.

He better expect a vistor at some point, cause Im going to have to see those trucks someday.

+1, group trip?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by HighLux

Thanks for the comments Guys....any 1st Gen fans are welcome here if your ever in the area......Kevin
Old 05-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:12 AM

Trekker Paul, on this WEB site, is from Oregon and will be a good source of information for you. If the truck is from the Southeastern part of the country then Southeast Toyota Distributers will be another source of information. The Mirage was not a Toyota factory built option package but was either a Toyota Sales USA or a regional option package. Your truck is really nice. I am the original owner of my truck and I still enjoy driving it. Enjoy!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by suncomb1
Trekker Paul, on this WEB site, is from Oregon and will be a good source of information for you. If the truck is from the Southeastern part of the country then Southeast Toyota Distributers will be another source of information. The Mirage was not a Toyota factory built option package but was either a Toyota Sales USA or a regional option package. Your truck is really nice. I am the original owner of my truck and I still enjoy driving it. Enjoy!

If you look back at the Commercial posted I noticed underneath in blurry letters it says "While supplies last at participating Dealers" which makes me believe it was a dealer installed option package. They would have had to start with a Metallic Grey SR5 with moonroof and chrome package from the factory and the dealer would install the roll bar and Mirage graffics, that's my guess, unless I could find info to shed more light on this. The fact that Toyota would produce a commercial for it makes me think it would have been more than a regional offer.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Some guys have all the luck... but only one person I know has THREE TIMES THE LUCK!! Three beautiful trucks? The Toyota gods have truly blessed you! I bet my truck's PO wishes that he accepted my original offer to buy my truck. About 5 years ago I was out doing some inspections for work and saw the guy loading it up to go camping. I went up to him and offered him $3,500 cash on the spot (these trucks are EXTREMELY rare in my area) but he declined saying that "he'd never sell it." Then a little over two years ago I was driving home from hunting and decided to take the long way home (which I NEVER do) and I saw it for sale on the side of the road for $2,500. I stopped in, offered him $2,000 cash and he accepted because he really needed the money. My wife was ABSOLUTELY PISSED when I brought it home because she was 8 months pregnant with our first child and another project for me was the last thing she wanted lingering around. She'll get over it one day... I hope. If not, I just say "hey, there is a guy on the forums that has three so it could be worse!"
Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 AM

Don't hold me up as an example of bad behavior to justify your own...haha....sounds like you and your truck were mean't to be....great story and another example of "it doesn't hurt to ask"
Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

what a beauty!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Wow that thing is amazing! I always wanted the back to the future truck but I think this just took its place!

Quick Reply: 1983 Mirage Limited Edition...