2010+ 4Runner 5th gen 4Runners

Missing tone ring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing tone ring?

Strange question.

Do these trucks use a whel speed sensor tone ring on the front right wheel bearing assemblies?

Truck is a 2010 SR5 V6 4x4. All stock. No recent work done to it.

The ABS, Traction, VSC lights have been on for a long time.

Did the paperclip thing, and got:
DTC 31 for ABS: Front right wheel speed sensor or wire
DTC 51 and 43 for VSC: ABS general warning indicator, and ECM fault detected

So I checked the continuity of the front right wheel speed sensor wires, from the sensor-side of the wiring harness, to the top of the wheel-well wiring harness connection point. Both wires were fine. Not sure where the rest of the wire goes to, into a ECM of some kind, somewhere, to see if its broken there...

I checked the impedience of both front wheel speed sensors, and they were almost identical.

Then I pulled the passenger side sensor, broke it in half due to the o-ring being rusted into the hub. Swearing. Sanding of rust. Replaced the sensor with a new one. The ABS/VSC/Traction lights are still lit.

When replacing the wheel speed sensor, I had a good look inside the sensor hole, into the hub assembly. There's no toothed ring. I expected to see a metal toothed ring in there. Instead, just a smooth, aluminum, machined, white-greased, cylinder, that rotates with the wheel. I even gently poked at the smooth cylinder and scraped bit of grease out, to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Definately no toothed ring in sight of the sensor hole.

Is this expected? Do these toothed rings ever move so far out of the way?

Last edited by toycan; 11-04-2017 at 11:06 AM.