Dear Customer who wants a manual,

Thank you blah blah blah

Thank you blah blah blah

We appreciate it blah blah blah

Pound sand blah blah blah

Sincerely,

Toyota Grunt who responds to letters

:wabbit2:
I'm sure that's how it works, but maybe if that same grunt receives 3 or 4 letters on the same subject he might decide to tell his supervisor. its worth a try. You never know until you try.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jkelley429
Heres mine!!

[Dear Toyota,
My name is Justin Kelley, and i currently own my first Toyota (not last, i will be a customer for life), an 89' Toyota Pickup 4X4. As many of my fellow Toyota Owners and i believe, Toyota has strayed from its old ways of building hard core, top of the line off-road vehicles. I believe that Toyota should choose to offer the manual transmission from the FJ Cruiser and the Tacoma as an option for the 4Runner and Tundra. I also believe that you should reintroduce the Landcruiser, which should be a very basic hard core off road vehicle. It should have the option of a manual transmission, a diesel engine, and a Solid Front Axle. I have been a loyal Toyota customer, and will continue to be. Although, i would be more willing to purchase a brand new vehicle if these options were offered. I encourage you tpo check out this link to a Toyota Forum where many other Toyota owners are sharing their ideas about future Toyota development.
"https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f193/dear-toyota-i-want-manual-216247/"
Thank You for your time and i look forward to hearing back from you.
- Loyal Toyota Owner Justin Kelley]
and heres my response. not very reasuring.

Dear Mr. Kelley:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

Your loyalty for Toyota products is appreciated.

We make every effort to manufacture a quality product by researching, testing, and constantly monitoring performance. Consumer opinion and perception also play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling, and reliability.

Although we cannot guarantee the vehicles like you described will be offered in the future, we do know if it were made, it would be because of customers like yourself that provide honest and candid feedback.

We appreciate your feedback. It is through communications such as yours that we become aware of the reactions and expectations of our customers and consumers and are able to review and improve our products.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email by using the following link, http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html, or by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and from 7 AM to 4 PM on Saturday.
Sincerely,
Anita Mouton
Toyota Customer Experience
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 PM

At least they are getting better at saying "sorry, not interested". Or rather, No.

I bought my VW because it was about the only enclosed thing that would take four people and the sort of cargo I usually carry (up to a 55" tv) with a manual transmission. No more manual option from them and the low ground clearance doesn't suit me any more. And my f250 died. 212k on the VW on the original clutch commuting 50 miles in awful traffic in the San Francisco Bay area. If you know what you are doing a clutch and manual transmission lasts almost for ever. Like on the FJ40 we have at the ranch, 40 years old and still going strong.

Now I'd like a 4Runner 4x4 manual with the D4D engine. No hope of that. Or an FJ cruiser with the D4D and manual. No hope of that either. So do I take the relaxed transmission reliability in the 4Runner or the questionable economy and poor visibility in the FJ?

Mercedes are bringing the GLK 250 this year, not as off road capable as I want and no manual but at least they are offering their torque laden 2.1 turbo diesel.

I should buy a Ford just to spite Yota.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 AM

Nah,
Just to spite Toyo? thats a pretty far stretch. I think in the long run you might be the one to be unhappy. I would never drive anything other than toyo. I'm big on Customer service. Sadly, i think i might even prefer Customer service over the performance of the Vehicle.

Ford has not been reliable for me and for than matter neither has Chevy. their customer service is horrible at best. I wont get into their product..

I know this reply wont stop you from going to Ford(like you really would anyhow)

Good Luck.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM

No, I've had a Ford, I'm not getting caught that way again. The old F250 was rough but soldiered on, but the engine was shot and they wanted $7k for another underpowered diesel. I had a Taurus once, I wanted to meet the software engineer who programmed that transmission so I could tell him how much contempt I had for him.

Anyway, no, it will probably be a silver Trail because there's no point driving around central Nevada on old roads if the wife can't see anything except the dash. Silver because the sun really heats up a dark vehicle fast.

It's a real shame we don't get manual diesels though.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 AM

I know what you mean. I have heard this concern before. I went to NV about 2 years ago... Talk about hot! I had no idea that anywhere could get that hot! Yes, it was a dry heat. but Dayum! Manual diesels would be nice... i mean they have them in Europe all over the place and sometimes you can't tell them from a Gas car...
good luck!
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Toyota ruined the 4Runner in 1986.

How did toyota ruin the 4runner in '86?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 PM

The sad thing about the American public these days is that the vast majority will not know the benefits of driving a standard because all they have ever known is an automatic.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1987_edwards_yota
How did toyota ruin the 4runner in '86?
Taking away the solid axle.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vang530
Taking away the solid axle.

A least they kept the rear axle solid
Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Even if they offered a manual transmission you probably wouldn't be able to find one. I have been looking all over for a Tacoma w/ a manual, which is offered, and can't find one.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Tacoma V6 manuals are available

I had been hanging on to a 91 SR5 V6 with a manual (230K miles) waiting for a V6 manual TRD off-road to become available. This configuration was not even listed on the Toyota web site (for California zip codes) for a long time. Two of these appeared at dealers in California a few months ago and I bought the one that was close enough to get to for a test drive. They are available, but you have to keep looking on the dealer web sites and be really patient. Mine has 900 miles on it now and I am very happy with it. Lots more power than the old 91 with a couple more miles per gallon. It is a little wider than the 91 trail truck and perhaps an inch shorter on ground clearance, but it will get the off-road travel done.

I also had a 2000 Runner with one of those rare manual transmissions that my wife drove. It was very nice to drive, but the springs were a bit stiff. Someone t-boned it when it had 150K miles on it, bending it enough that it was totaled. It was a real drag as the manual option for this vehicle was gone and at 150K miles it was only just broken in. We switched to a different manufacturer for our replacement. We would buy a 4Runner in a heartbeat if the manual transmission was available, and we would be willing to pay a premium for it. We won't buy one otherwise.

Last edited by eugenedbrooksiii; 11-21-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM

i see a swappertunity! here as soon as that nice warranty runs out. assuming you were lucky enough to get your hands on a wrecked taco with a 6speed
Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 PM

I dont know how many people have given the Automatics that have been produced in the last few years a real chance. A 5 speed auto gets better gas mileage and you can get full control kits for it if that is really that big of a deal. You can shift them down the same way as a manual minus the actual engagement is a lot rougher. A manual is simpler and doesn't really have issues that a basic mechanic cant fix easily and for older vehicles its by far the best way to go since their auto's sucked balls.

For newer vehicles like the 2003 and up 4runners I would personally never take a 6 speed.

Dont hate me for the comments but automatics have come a long way in 15 years
Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 AM

i dont think the quality of the auto tranny is on trial here toyota has been making great auto transmissions for years. my buddy has an 99 auto taco v6 4wd he put 490,000 miles on. he says hes only changed the atf once beats the hell out of it and shes still goin strong.

I personally prefer manual for the control and feel. don't get me wrong autos are nice.

I guess it just depends on what kind of driving ur gonna do if your only taking timmy to soccer practice or hauling groceries the auto is probably for you.

probably 90 percent of new 4runner buyers will never take there rig off-road im sure thats why toyota won't send 6spds or diesels to the u.s. so i say if you really want a brand new 6spd 4runner make one yourself! toyota will never pull there head out of there a** and bring the 4runner back to its true roots at least not in the usa
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM

I want a manual Tundra
My auto has taken a beating and kept on going, but I'd love it more if it was a 6-speed manual (or heck, I'll shift through 8 gears if they'll just give me a clutch and a stick.)