Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

Toyota Echo

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Echo

Hello Everyone, First, I want to thank everyone for their support and awesome graphical explanations on the 22re. I am far from being a mechanic (just a survivor) and thanks to this forum I am wrapping up the timing/head gasket repairs on my 22re. While I finish up the 22RE wiring, air intake, sensors and cooling re-assembly, I am researching head gasket and radiator replacement for a Toyota Echo. Is anyone here familiar with that motor? Here is what I posted on Toyota Nation: Hello All, I was unable to find anything specific about the head gasket replacement. Is there a reason for this or is everyone running their Echo cars hot until they die and seize completely? :-) I started replacing fan and engine temp sensors and thought about the oxygen sensors galore but now I have front-end damage from an accident and I am considering replacing the radiator and fan assemblies + head gasket. I have over 200K original miles on this engine so I am ready to start throwing parts at it to get more life out of it. The engine runs smooth but boiling anti-freeze after driving time of 30 miles or equivalent time at stop and go's and the hoses never feel tight when the engine is running. I have a little white smoke but I do not see any anti-freeze in the oil yet. I bipassed the fan temp switch and run the radiator fan on high full-time now. Has anyone replaced the head gasket in the Echo yet? All advice is definitely appreciated and considered - I am finishing up the head gasket replacement on my Toyota 22RE. Now I am researching the Echo motor howto's, parts, et cetera. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by netsomnia
Hello Everyone, First, I want to thank everyone for their support and awesome graphical explanations on the 22re. I am far from being a mechanic (just a survivor) and thanks to this forum I am wrapping up the timing/head gasket repairs on my 22re. While I finish up the 22RE wiring, air intake, sensors and cooling re-assembly, I am researching head gasket and radiator replacement for a Toyota Echo. Is anyone here familiar with that motor? Here is what I posted on Toyota Nation: Hello All, I was unable to find anything specific about the head gasket replacement. Is there a reason for this or is everyone running their Echo cars hot until they die and seize completely? :-) I started replacing fan and engine temp sensors and thought about the oxygen sensors galore but now I have front-end damage from an accident and I am considering replacing the radiator and fan assemblies + head gasket. I have over 200K original miles on this engine so I am ready to start throwing parts at it to get more life out of it. The engine runs smooth but boiling anti-freeze after driving time of 30 miles or equivalent time at stop and go's and the hoses never feel tight when the engine is running. I have a little white smoke but I do not see any anti-freeze in the oil yet. I bipassed the fan temp switch and run the radiator fan on high full-time now. Has anyone replaced the head gasket in the Echo yet? All advice is definitely appreciated and considered - I am finishing up the head gasket replacement on my Toyota 22RE. Now I am researching the Echo motor howto's, parts, et cetera. Thank you!
If I lie and say that I am going to put the Echo 1.5L in a pickup would I get more answers here? One guy replied to me in TN forum - saying that it cannot be that difficult to replace head gasket in Echo because the motor is like a lawn mower engine. I agree - it's not much bigger then my JD lawn tractor motor. LOL HOw tough could it be? I might even skip the leak down test and start tearing it down and rebuild from top end up.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:02 PM

could someone please direct me where to find guidance. i just swapped out my 1.5L engine in my toyota echo i know the engine i replaced it with runs. but now that i have it in the car it will not budge not even if i try turning the crank bolt manually, i have never replaced this type of engine i did however only put one, maybe two, fly wheel bolts in as i was expecting to be able to rotate the crank bolt to finish installing them later.....