Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

Ford 2wd: I'm looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Sherer
Yes you are right I have not looked at tho,s sites Because believe it or not I have got a lot of info on this site manly because lots of people are slightly agervated with me for talking about a ford on a toyota site and I understand that but untill I get banned I will continue to get info from this site Negitve or positive so THANK YOU VERY MUCH
lol I dont see where anyone is aggravated with you asking ford related questions. Thats why this section of the forum was made but what is aggravating is that you want help with a project but don't seem to want to do the leg work to find info on it. I told you about the 2 best prerunner and desert offroad forums but you didn't bother to look at them...

And Robert I'm not doing Sirius stuff with this truck if I were I would get a 4wd but u just want to have something to do for the summer besides work and have so thing to play with and looks good and I have grown up to believe if it's not functional and just fashinable then it's useless but I do want it to be in the middle of tho,s two
While having 4wd is nice, its not a necessity out in the desert. There are probably 10 times the amount of 2wds built then 4x4 because it much easier and cheaper to get travel out of a 2wd. I also agree about function over form in an offroad truck. Its going to get beat up and broken if its used in the dirt.
And one more thing if it's not to racist against toyota is the standard I beam suspension ok to use for what I'm doing just with mid to high range shocks??
I beams are a great suspension for high speed stuff and is why older rangers are very popular to build. With a shock upgrade, extended stock beams and, new radius arms, you can have a cheap-ish setup that will pull more front travel then my truck. However, you said you have a 1997 f150 which are A arm suspension so none of that will work for your truck.

I agree with the manual vs automatic I feel I can get more power out of a manual but I also think with a automatic you would never have to be bothered with the task of shifting in for instance the king of the hammers flying over the whopdy doo,s and being Jared around trying to shift but I won't be in the king of the hammers or be Jared around so I think a manual will be better
With the power that V8 makes stock, you wont see a difference between the auto or manual. You would see a bigger gain by regearing the rear axle to get back the power loss from bigger tires.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's some good advice there above from Robert. Another good website to check is the IH8Mud forums. There's some outstanding custom work on that site, mainly aimed to 4wd and rock crawling, but a lot of that uses the same principles, albeit with majorly different gearing and differentials.
The real downside to major lifts etc is that whenever you have done your A-arm upgrades and body lift spacers, you will find the long travel kits all require some fabrication and welding, even the Chaos Offroad ones. I for one am jealous of your first truck being a F150... I'm from Ireland and just moved to Australia a year ago, having only visited USA once, and even seeing the odd F150/F250 around here is a rarity, as in Australia all cars imported must be converted to Right-hand drive. I have never even driven a V8 let alone owned one, this is something USA/Canada and Australia all have the luxury of, but over in Ireland and Europe we're crippled by compulsary insurance costing an absolute fortune, so to have a V8 at 17 you my friend are luckier than you know!
$2000 is a reasonable budget for a prerunner, and for that money (unless you're lucky enough to find used suspension setups) you will be limited to either cosmetic or technical, but not both. Long travel setups go in the region of half your budget just for the front end, and when you have that installed your wheels are gonna look tiny and the back end will be too low to match, not to mention the upper shock hoops require welding, which will get expensive if you don't have access to a welder yourself.
I would recommend you go for the cosmetic side of things first and worry about suspension travel etc when you have abused your truck and have some fun with what the stock F150 has to offer. I personally am in the same position as you and want the Prerunner look, I only got my truck last month, and I know I can afford to do all the mods I want right now, but I know the law over here requires every single suspension mod to be inspected and certified by an engineer, so I'm gonna settle with a Prerunner 'theme' but without the long-travel kit...for now!
I think you should find a body lift, some nice wide flares, a tube bumper, a winch will prove very useful when you do hit the trail, and throw some nice chunky tires on it, you will get all this within your budget, and if you go on Craigslist you will get even more if you get used bargains.
Anyway, I hope I have been somewhat helpful, and I hope you have fun building your truck, after all, that's why we do it isn't it? Here's some sites for you:
www.ih8mud.com www.chaosfab.com www.fiberwerx.com www.pirate4x4.com www.dezertrangers.com
All these sites are in the US of A, so you're lucky there! Also, to post an image there's a button for 'Insert Image' when you're typing a post, its below the font size/color selection bar in the top of the typing box. Cheers!
Old 12-04-2014, 12:16 AM

Get yourself some Bushwacker or equivalent wide flares, some wide 16" steel wheels and chunky big tyres, steel wheels tend to be low offset so they will sit further out into the fender, requiring wider flares. This will give the illusion of bigger tyres even when they're the same size, it will also make your track wider which has it's benefits. I'm not sure what the weather is like where you live, but I'm in the outback here in Australia, so it stays brutally hot all year round, day and night, but we have a monsoon season too, so that soft outback clay (which is almost like sand) becomes a soft bog, which is why pretty much all the trucks out here are 4wd. I'm one of the unlucky few, but I don't vary off the beaten track in wet season.... however it's not uncommon for a river crossing 1.4 meters deep in the middle of the road! Winch round here is a necessity, I thankfully haven't needed it...yet.
So, chunky tyres on steel wheels, wide flares, a body lift and a winch, all within your original budget....then just have some fun and start saving for a long travel kit in the distant future. After being a member on Mitsubishi forums, I found that a lot of them guys with their little 31" tyres and auto gearboxes were towing top dollar Land Rovers and Jeeps on 35's out when their drivers didn't have the skill. In other words, practice with what you have, which if you ask me is perfectly capable! A standard 2wd F150 will go places a standard 2wd Hilux won't, and that's all down to the bigger frame and higher ground clearance!

Last edited by Chris_McCartney; 12-04-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:26 AM
Banned

Thank you very much and the front suspension of my truck is not a arm it is I beam just not very high quality I beams they are just not made to do what the upgraded I beams are made to do
Old 12-04-2014, 01:38 PM

I'm sorry, this just isn't making any sense.
If your truck looks like this, and has the 4.6l v8, it doesn't have I beams unless someone did a whole lot of work to swap them on.

If it looks like this, it isnt a 1997 with A arms and it would then have a 5.0l or 5.8l unless someone did a whole lot of work to swap it in.

so please post a picture of your truck
Old 12-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Banned

No sir the white one is to old I really don't know what year it is but it's to boxy and the red one is the right year but is 4wd the 2wd 1997 ford f150 xlt 8foot bed leans to the front with a awkward stance the red truck you have posted is either 4wd or has a leveling kit on it like I want to do to mine trust me
Look up 1997 ford f150 XLT (RWD) front suspension diagram and look at the pics they are all I beams UNLESS they are 4WD
Old 12-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned

And my I please say you are really trying to tell me about something I didn't know about MY OWN TRUCK
You see I'm not as lazy as you think I am.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-05-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned

I do read up on my own truck before entering the unknown for me
Old 12-04-2014, 02:52 PM

No sir the white one is to old I really don't know what year it is but it's to boxy and the red one is the right year but is 4wd the 2wd 1997 ford f150 xlt 8foot bed leans to the front with a awkward stance the red truck you have posted is either 4wd or has a leveling kit on it like I want to do to mine trust me Look up 1997 ford f150 XLT (RWD) front suspension diagram and look at the pics they are all I beams UNLESS they are 4WD
We have a 2wd ford at my work that is an A Arm design, of the body style Robert posted.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:53 PM

And my I please say you are really trying to tell me about something I didn't know about MY OWN TRUCK You see I'm not the lazy basterd you thought I was
Have you looked at the other sites Robert posted for you??
Old 12-04-2014, 03:57 PM

No sir the white one is to old I really don't know what year it is but it's to boxy and the red one is the right year but is 4wd the 2wd 1997 ford f150 xlt 8foot bed leans to the front with a awkward stance the red truck you have posted is either 4wd or has a leveling kit on it like I want to do to mine trust me
Look up 1997 ford f150 XLT (RWD) front suspension diagram and look at the pics they are all I beams UNLESS they are 4WD

OK I didn't ask if either of these were your specific truck or model, I said if they LOOK like them, so the same body type.
And for grins and giggles I did google "1997 ford f150 XLT (RWD) front suspension diagram" and what comes up are a few diagrams from a 1992 f150 with I beams, a few ranger diagrams with I beams, and a few other misc ones that have nothing to do with fords.
But then I also googled 1997 f150 2wd lift kits and you know what came up? Lots of coil spacers, lift coils, and some lift spindles from fabtech! They also have a cool install instruction PDF sheet that has lots of pictures of a 1997-2003 f150 with A ARMS http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/files/FT97159-7i.pdf

And my I please say you are really trying to tell me about something I didn't know about MY OWN TRUCK
You see I'm not the lazy
Yes, yes I am. Because if you did already know it, you wouldn't be here asking for advise about it.

I do read up on my own truck before entering the unknown for me
Thats questionable at best.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-05-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Banned

Ok so let's get this strait the ORIGINAL suspension for my truck is I beams right
Old 12-04-2014, 04:59 PM

Ok so let's get this strait the ORIGINAL suspension for my truck is I beams right
No. Where do you keep coming up with this??
Old 12-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned

Or does it have a arms stock as much as I would hate to be wrong am I right or are you because I really don't want to argue any more
Old 12-04-2014, 05:17 PM

Wrong. It has A arms. The best thing to do is go out side and look at it and take a picture and post it up.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Banned

I would but I'm in Florida on a vacation the truck on the other hand is in Tennessee
Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Banned

But I will take some more time to look at the diagrams
Old 12-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Banned

Well you are right I'm very sorry about me arguing with u
Old 12-05-2014, 02:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert m
Wrong. It has A arms. The best thing to do is go out side and look at it and take a picture and post it up.
Okay... you know what I'm done with you..you have such a bad attitude it's pathetic man I'm done

Last edited by rworegon; 12-05-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:01 AM
Banned

I need to learn some courtesy.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-05-2014 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Foul Mouth

Quick Reply: Ford 2wd: I'm looking for input