Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Why are BFG AT's not higher up on everyones' list?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Has anyone heard about how BFG changed from the US factory to a factory in France? I heard from a fella that after they made that change a couple years ago they have been putting out consistently lower quality tires...

Can anyone speak to this?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFGs are just dead sexy, lets leave it at that.

if there were a sexy tire contest, we know who would win
Old 06-30-2007, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Roboito
BFGs are just dead sexy, lets leave it at that.

if there were a sexy tire contest, we know who would win
Yes,I agree but that's a poor way to choose any product and most people buy BFGs based on that one criteria.

It's like having a hot girlfriend that's so-so in the sack.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Still wondering what the sidewall is on the Nitto's. I like the looks of that tire, and was curious what they are rated at.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:24 AM

if you guys had to chose from these two which would you go with and why?

Nitto Grapplers
Kumho AT's (kl-78)

??
Old 07-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

I don't have any or know anybody with the Kumhos but I've got two years and 20k on my Nittos and zero problems with them whatsoever.

Plus you can still find Nittos on the net for about $100/tire in the 265/75 size.
I'm doing some research on sidewall strength but I've had some pretty good rock rubs with mine and they don't show it at all.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 AM

Does anyone run toyo A/T's? I have some on my truck and like them so far. My dad has had them on his f-250 and really like them. never had a problem getting stuck in the snow or light road mud. (dirt biking rig, parked on some muddy roads) They are similar in tread pattern to the nitto, but i also have only seen pictures of the nitto and not in person
Old 07-12-2007, 11:03 AM

i can get the kumho's for a little over 100$ a piece installed so i may go with them. those are the 4 ply tires.. the 6 ply kumhos are 500$ installed with free rotations.. i may go with those.. i am broke hhaa
Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 AM

I run BFG AT's because of off/on road performance. I'm not biased to any particular brand. I used to run Maxxis Buckshots on my Tacoma and they were awesome. I ran Cooper Discoverers and they sucked bad. But I'll say this:
BFG has won 1.24 Gazillion Baja 1000 Races. Now, that could be because the guys with the best rigs were also sponsored by BFG, therefore running their tires. But who knows?
They are pricey though.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kcrunner
I run BFG AT's because of off/on road performance. I'm not biased to any particular brand. I used to run Maxxis Buckshots on my Tacoma and they were awesome. I ran Cooper Discoverers and they sucked bad. But I'll say this:
BFG has won 1.24 Gazillion Baja 1000 Races. Now, that could be because the guys with the best rigs were also sponsored by BFG, therefore running their tires. But who knows?
They are pricey though.
Please, don't, for an instant, confuse the BFG's that are used on the Baja comp vehicles with the BFG AT's or MT's.
Other than the name there is NOTHING in common with them.

Fred
Old 07-15-2007, 02:22 PM

bump.....
Old 07-17-2007, 06:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FredTJ
Please, don't, for an instant, confuse the BFG's that are used on the Baja comp vehicles with the BFG AT's or MT's.
Other than the name there is NOTHING in common with them.

Fred
Yes, that would be a mortal sin punishable by having to run bald 1ply tires up rocky, mud thick hills for all eternity.

Those Baja tires also cost twice as much.

Last edited by thook; 07-17-2007 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

My beef with the BFGs is I've seen no solid evidence that they are worth the extra $200 they would've cost me over my Nittos.

I'd really like to see something like a sidewall puncture test and off road and on road comparisons and really see what has the edge for a daily driven vehicle and for those who are weekend warriors only.

From my experience I can find no reason the BFGs need to cost what they do but they are the popular choice and an easy sale for a tire place but for a vehicle that never goes off road the BFGs are an awful choice and so are the Nittos but to a lesser degree since the Nittos at least have better on-road manners and are cheaper.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

They cost what they do because they have a brand name on the side that is popular. Same as Nike. The shoes are the same, but they cost 150 bucks versus 20 for a knockoff.

However, my 33's cost 117 per tire, which is pretty tough to beat. You guys with the the 16s get screwed pretty much.

However, Sidewall is why i stick with the BFG's. Its a 3ply, and the only time i've ever gotten one was when i was aired down to 10 psi on the 12.5's and pushed the rim through the side in Moab. Other than that, they've been drug over a lot of terrain.

Baiscally this whole thread is debating something that is silly. Tires are like clothes and shoes. Different strokes for different folks. MT/Rs are some of the best rock tires i've ever seen. However, they have extremely limited tire size in the lower diameters. Thats not good for me as i have early IFS and big fat tires kill the steering. However, for you guys with 16's, you have any number of choices. A guy i know runs Nittos' on 16s on his blown 2nd gen runner. He loves them, and they drive like a dream for him. Another guy buys nothing but MTR's. first 33, now 37.

BFG AT's are a decent tire for the guy who sees 95% road time and 5% trail. There are many tire options, and many that are cheaper. They are not a bad tire in terms of quality, but talking about the best overall tire for every person is like saying that every person must wear a size 9 New Balance Cross Trainer with white laces.

Pick a tire that fits your truck, fits your wallet, and looks good to you.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Good points.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 AM

when i get my truck i will be running the BFG A/T's not only b/c of the on and off road performance but a pretty decent price of $549 mounted and balanced for a known reliable tire.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AxleIke
<SNIP>

However, Sidewall is why i stick with the BFG's. Its a 3ply, and the only time i've ever gotten one was when i was aired down to 10 psi on the 12.5's and pushed the rim through the side in Moab. Other than that, they've been drug over a lot of terrain.
<SNIP>
The BFG's are 3 ply rated, not 3 separate plys.
Also, they're not known for their sidewall strength.
Out here in S. Arizona very few people run them any more, at least those that really wheel with them, because the sidewalls rip relatively easily, compared to some of the other tires available.
The BFG's, both MT's and AT's, along with the SSR's simply don't have sidewalls that work for us here.

Here was a 2 BFG flat day.
This is Al with his 2nd flat of the day (BFG's). That's me with the green hat, standing to the right "man it's going to be a long day with these BFG's and SSR's with us today"

Here are the two vehicles that were running SSR's, both ripped sidewalls also:

Anyway, as I mentioned, BFG's aren't in favor out here for several reasons:
- Relatively weak sidewalls.
- Relatively poor traction on the rocks. Mostly, I guess, due to a harder tire compound, which gives them long on road lift (mileage wise). The BFG MT's traction on the rocks can be improved if you sipe the snot of out 'em, but nothing can fix the sidewall issue..

Fred
Old 07-18-2007, 03:30 AM

what tires do you guys use?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Keep in mind you are talking about rock crawling, i'm talking about trail running. Lets be serious, i have an IFS truck on 33's. You could get it up the trails you are talking about, but not without significant damage and a lot of winch/strapping. No one in their right mind could possibly think that BFG AT's are a rock crawling tire.

Out here the sidewalls seem take abuse and don't go flat. At least mine haven't. I've had a lot. Mine says 3ply on the side of the tire. Either they are lying to me, or they do have 3 plys.

I'm not arguing that these tires are the best. The best All Terrain tire i've seen is the MT/R. As stated, these do not come in a size i can use right now.

The best offroad/rock crawling tire consensus, at least among the guys out here, and in utah, seems to be the Krawler. This, however, is not a road tire, and thus cannot be run on a DD truck without wearing out a $300 tire in a few thousand miles.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 35" BFG A/T's on my 4runner, and after first purchasing them for almost 700 bucks installed, I got stuck in some mud from the "spring thaw". The trails then are pretty thick mud, and the A/T's were overwhelmed by it. I was quickly pissed about the deal, and was determined to ditch them.

I then thought, well you know they are A/T's not M/T's. Over time, I just drove on them, and honestly they see the street 90% of the time. So I started to feel like they are the right tire for me. I have continued to hit the trails and mud with them, and truly over time I've kind of learned how to keep the A/T's clean enough to get mud traction. I have to be a little more throttle happy to help them clean themselves, but they really turned into a descent tire in my mind.

The on road habits of the A/T's, I think, are excellent. The A/T's seem like they don't wear...lol, while they provide very good traction in my opinion. I've NEVER hydroplaned the tires. I recently drove down this two lane highway, with my right side tires in the trough of 3-4" deep water doing about 50mph creating an absolute tidal wave for miles. People were hating me for it, but I had no problems other than fighting the steering wheel due to the drag on that side.

I really think overall the A/T's are pretty nice tires. I do feel I will go with BFG M/T's next though. It didn't feel too good getting stuck in an open trail with no water even visible. The mud was below leaves and it was just SO thick. I want to be ready next spring with some muds I think.

Quick Reply: Why are BFG AT's not higher up on everyones' list?