Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

New T100 owner questions

Old 10-24-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New T100 owner questions

Hey guys, first post. This is my first Toyota, I just picked up a '97 T100 sr5, 4x4. I had a few questions as I'm eager to start beefing up my new truck!

First off, have any of you fit 285/75/16's stock? I have 265's on it now and they don't rub at all, but it's kind of hard to tell how bad the 285's will rub, if they rub at all. Yes, I know I could search but every truck is a little different depending on age so I thought I'd seek out everyone's personal experience on this. As a follow up, if I go for the 285's will I need new wheels or will the factory SR5 wheels work okay with the wide tires?

Second, I'm interested in tail light guards but they're a pain in the ass to find. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Lastly, I want to install an aftermarket radio and subwoofer. I can tell my truck has a factory amp, can someone direct me to a thread that can walk me through bypassing/removing it so I can replace with an aftermarket amp and sub? I've tried searching on this one but all the threads I found didn't really apply.

By the way, here's some pics of the new T:

Old 10-24-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good lookin truck. Those 285s will be bad tight if they will even work. Look into doing at least a leveling kit before you try it. They will go on those rims. Those are at least 7" rims. I'm not sure if they are any wider. I've never had a set of those.

If your factory amp is like the ones in the 4runners it will have two plugs going in and then the speaker wires will come out the other side. There is no reason to go around it. If you are just going to use one sub, all you need is a line converter. Tap in to one pair of your speaker wires and then you will have RCA jacks for your amp. Some amps have high side inputs where all you need is speaker wire to supply the amp. Then just wire it up to power and that's about it. Two amps are better than one.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:03 AM

So it would basically be just a "daisy chain" from the factory amp to my aftermarket amp? Do you know where the factory amp is located on these T100's?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:22 PM

In the 4Runners, its just below the radio. Kind of hard to get at. It's about 6"W X 4"D X 1.5"H and silver. I suppose you could wire in an aftermarket amp in it's place but if your going to use just a single channel to power an sub, I'd just tap in to one of your back speakers for your audio signal.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:23 PM

Could you be a little more specific as to where I tap into the back speakers? Do I just run the signal from the factory amp to my aftermarket sub instead of my rear speakers? Sorry if these are noob questions, I've installed Amps before but it was on a jeep Xj and a ford ranger, neither with factory amps
Old 10-26-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
This is what the 4Runner amp looks like

If you pull it out the factory plug left in the truck will plug right into the Toyota harness they sell at Walmart and stereo stores. The harness includes all the speaker wires in it. If you are improving the sound of your truck I don't see any reason to keep the factory amp. I have never been in a T-100 so I have no idea of how it's set up. I would recommend that you look up your truck on Crutchfield.com. They can sell you all the components and they enclose a custom instruction sheet. They even enclose a new dash bezel if you need a special one to make it fit. They would also set up the wiring for your amp.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:10 PM

If it's just the sub you want, seriously, tap the speaker wires closest to where you want to mount your amp and you won't ever have to open the dash. Google audio line converter and you'll see what I'm talking about. So much easier and you will miss your factory amp if you remove it.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:13 AM

Ohhhhh I think understand now, run the two speakers going to the rear speaker into a line converter, and from there run the rca jacks into the new amp so it can send the signal to the sub? If that's correct I'd rather do that than pull the factory amp. I know my aftermarket amp is much better but I prefer to keep my truck "intact" if you know what I mean. Thanks for the replies
Old 10-27-2016, 02:16 PM

That's the ticket. It's easy to crack a dash piece if you aren't careful and there aren't all that many good T100s in the salvage yards. If your sub amp has high frequency inputs (For regular wire) along with low frequency inputs (RCA Jacks) you don't even need the line converter. Just run speaker wire into those inputs from the speaker you tap in to. Easy.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:04 AM

Hey guys update, I went with another set of 265/75/16's! I got some Cooper Discoverer S/T's, and from looking at them in person I'm about 90% sure the 285's would fit if I trim the valence under the bumper. Also removed the ugly running boards and chrome trim around the fenders, I'm pleased with how much nicer it looks.

Pics:

285's would cut it close in the rear, but I'm pretty sure I could have fit them if I removed the mud flaps
good side pic of the truck with the running boards off
Old 10-29-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
It looked like an old man truck with those running boards. Good call. The Coopers look great. I hope my 4th gen gets some soon.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:02 PM

Thanks! I quoted some Goodyear Duratracs too, but the Coopers were $60 less; I had them on another truck of mine and I really missed them, I feel like I made a good call going with Cooper again.

Search this Thread