Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels
View Poll Results: Which Mud Tire gette best milage from what you know or have heard?
Goodyear MT/Rs
36.36%
BFGoodrich MTs
40.91%
Dunlop Mud Rovers
4.55%
Bridgestone Dueler MTs
18.18%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Mud Terrian Tires for my new Runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud Terrian Tires for my new Runner

Hey guys I need to know your experiances with mud tires. I need to get a new set of shoes forthe new Runner, my main concern with the tires is milage, I know almost any mud tire will be good for the wheel'n I do.

So for the pole we are talking about milage more or less. But if you would please drop me some comments here about the milage you have got or expect to get. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:32 PM

Dunlops are alot cheaper. Thats as far as my knowledge goes.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

BFG all the way...my cousin has the M/T's on his P.U and they look good and most of all there performance is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!

The road noise is high but you will be doing mostly wheeling probably...

My cousin has had those tires for about 20-30k miles and there is some wear on them but still plenty to grip REAL well! They only do a little worse than my A/T's...I mean they definately aren't as good but BFG's tend to last a long, long, long time!!!!!!!

Go for the BFG man!!! :rockband:

Old 07-23-2003, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had a set of Avon MT SXT's installed today at Les Schwab. I started a thread here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=14530

And a straight pic of the tire is here:

http://www.lesschwab.com/tires/light_suv/mt_sxt.html

I won't have a chance to play with them in the dirt until the first weekend in August, but I can't imagine that they're gonna be anything short of fun-tastic.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

currently, i have the pro comp muds, i wouldnt go for them again, they run small, and the tread is wearing pretty fast. i would go with bfg my .02
Old 07-24-2003, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

I have the new BFG MT km's and really like them. A lot less road noise than the old BFG MTs. My mileage seems to be better than almost everyone on this forum, so I'm not sure what I'm doing right but I hope it stays that way. The difference on my truck between running 235/70/15 light truck tires and the 31x10.5 BFGs is about 6 or 7 MPG, not taking into account the larger tire size. If you account for the tire size to correct my odometer, I'm guessing I drop about 3 or 4 MPG from the wider tire and more aggressive tread. I have no complaints on their performance off road in any conditions.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:18 AM

Talking

I have been happy with my bfg mt km's. I have the 33x12.50's on my taco and they are wearing well. I drive 42 miles one way to work on the highway and they are quite unless I am hauling something but even then they are not very noisy. I've got about 25k miles and expect to get atleast that much more out of them. They are a little slick on wet pavement and that took some getting used to. I will by them again when the time comes.

Greg
Old 07-24-2003, 06:15 PM
NJ

My BFG Mud (not KM's I don’t think they were out yet) only lasted 13,500 Miles. They are quite smooth now and desperately in need of changing. I even Sipied what was left of the lugs about a month ago to give them a little more traction on wet asphalt.

The only good thing about worn out Mudders is that they don't fling **it all over your vehicle when you get stuck in the sticky stuff, and have to winch your way out. Then again if they were in good condition I probably would not have had to winch out :pat:

Anyone have an online source for BFG's at a good price. I think this time I will go with AT's seeing how quickly the Mud wore out on me... Looking for 265 75 R16.

Thanx
Old 07-24-2003, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

I'm gonna go with BFG's or Goodyear. Both of which I have good experiences with. I had Dunlop Radial Rovers on my Explorer and they were really crappy. They only lasted a year. I know you are looking at a different tread, but I still will never buy any Dunlops ever again.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my $.02. I run the Bridgestone Dueler MT"'s (32x11.5x15) on my '99 4Runner. After 12k miles they show very little wear, they'll go at least 50k. I have had Bridgestone Dueler MT's on my Z-71 also, in a 285 size. I got 70k miles out of them. Currently I have Mud Kings in a 285 on the Z-71 and they are worn out with 85k miles, yes that is correct 85k miles. They don't handle good for the first 5k miles, but after that they are great offroad and not real noisy onroad. I'll probably get another set of Mud Kings for it b/c in 285 they are $596, mounted, balanced, tax included. Oh yeah, the Z-71 sees plenty of abuse, it goes offroad everyday, pulls heavy trailers frequently and goes about 60k miles a year, so the tires I run on it are well tested.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i heard cavalier mud kings are pretty good performing and long lasting, price doesn't seem too bad

i currently have buckshot mudder radials on my truck and they work great. they're a little noisy though
Old 07-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

ive got about 2k miles on my dunlops and they show almost no sign of wear yet. id challenge a set of BFGs in the mudd anyday. they are also roughly 50 bucks a tire cheaper, so you have to calculate that into your "mileage" debate. thats like buy 2 get 1 free a set of 4 will cost you ~390 instead of over ~ 600! with the bfgs you pay extra for the name cause they have good marketing strategy

when we find some mudd at Uwharrie you'll see how well they work

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 07-24-2003 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:40 PM

les schwab

watch out for these guys bought a set of swampers with warranty, sliced a tire on a rockgot a little mud inside the tire> Took it back to schwab they broke the tire down then told me because ti had been used offroadit was not under warranty.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys, the votes are splt 50 50 b/w the BFGs and the MT/Rs yet none of the Goodyear crew spoke up. Oh well guess that will teach me to try a poll, everyone I have ever posted has been split almost down the middle. But I will have to shop around and see what I can get out of my old BFG AT's with the wheels, if I can get enough I might be able to go hih $$$ but not until I seethe $$$ from the sale.

NCSU I can't wait to see your rig perfom, I'll be spotting and watching with the camera so make sure not to get stuck. Nah but serisouly I asked off from work today and I'm getting anxious about the trip already. I'll let you know ASAP if I'm ging to need a ride or not.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

goodyear all the way
Old 07-25-2003, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

NCSU-Runner: Are your Dunlop Mud Runner's loud on the pavement/highway? What about rain/wet stability? Thanks
Old 07-25-2003, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah, I also briefly owned some Goodyear MTR's, but I sold them right after I got them b/c they are terrible in the mud. They may good in the rocks, I don't know that for sure b/c there are no rocks in Central Alabama, but they are not good in the mud.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

BFG's, because I run them.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

BFG's ALL THE WAY!!

I have three sets of them(3 vehicle's all with BFG's!)

I have one Radial All Terrain set (on my Runner), one BFG M/T on my Silverado, and one A/T KO set on my Dad's 2003 Ram. AWESOME TIRES!!!

They have NEVER let me down! And those M/T's!!!

NOTHING STOPS THEM!!! Not even a 3 1/2" Decking Screw...I found it jabbed into the sidewall but it only went in a little because of the INCREDIBLE sidewall protection these things have on them!!!

BFG M/T's all the way!

Well there are my .02!

Old 07-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

NCSU-Runner: Are your Dunlop Mud Runner's loud on the pavement/highway? What about rain/wet stability? Thanks
exact same in every respect as the BFGs except the PRICE. with the windows up and quiet radio you cant hear them at all, even at highway speeds. they might be a little softer compound and therefore wear faster but after almost 3k miles i cant tell almost any wear at all. only time will tell . . . as far as wet handing, they are mud tires, you cant expect alot. the 3.0 doesnt have enough power to worry about breaking them loose under acceleration (but you wait till the I6 goes in ) but you do have to be careful with the brakes or you might get a little loose ( i wish i had ABS :pat: ) .

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 07-26-2003 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Mud Terrian Tires for my new Runner