Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Just how loud are Mud Terrain Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run Yokahama AT's on my 4runner and Yoka.. AT's on my DD thay aren't bad at all.
but the best answer is to " just run em" plug in some Audio Adrenaline or some other form of Hardcore Christian Rock (noticed your sig) and enjoy....
Old 03-27-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to say that compared to your Pirelli ATR's, any mud terrain will be a ton noisier. The question(s) you have to ask yourself is: Will a loud tire bother you if you are on the pavement 80% of the time? Are you getting a MT cause you really need it, or will a decent, slightly aggressive, AT be enough? And don't kid yourself, some AT's can be noisy too. The fact that you are even asking the MT question tells me you are concerned if they are too noisy, otherwise you would't have asked IMO.

I've got friends who look at a mud terrain tire noise like coffee in the morning, they can't live without it. They love the noise. Others can't even make it 10 miles (ie. my brother) before the noise gets to them and they want to rip them off the rims. Advice: Don't ask for people's opinions cause they will vary too much, instead go out and drive someone's vehicle that has had mud tires on for at least 8-10K miles (You won't get a good sense whatsoever if the MT tire is new). Then see if you can live with it.

Cheers and good luck
Old 03-27-2008, 03:03 PM

I've got 285/75/16 Mud kings and they are pretty quiet and ride very smooth. Mileage wise; I do 98% of my miles on the road. Try to get out every or every other weekend for some wheeling and it's worth it for me to have the M/T's. Correct air pressure; alignment & straight rims will assist in a smoother, quieter ride. I say do it, you'll love it off road!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:03 PM

I've got 285/75/16 Mud kings and they are pretty quiet and ride very smooth. Mileage wise; I do 98% of my miles on the road. Try to get out every or every other weekend for some wheeling and it's worth it for me to have the M/T's. Correct air pressure; alignment & straight rims will assist in a smoother, quieter ride. I say do it, you'll love it off road!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
why do you have to have the 255/85 tire size, thus limiting your options? I'm guessing for mpg increase? or you need the skinnies for the every growing grooves in the freeways? why get skinnies when the MT will throw your mpg out the window?

my thought was getting MT's for the looks CAN'T justify the wear/use i'd be using them for. less mpg/faster wear on freeway driving/road noise/poor wet weather traction. just a few reasons the MT's got crossed off the list soon! that's why i went AT. just made more sense.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 PM

I have Goodyear MTR's and they are as quiet as any AT tire I've had. I keep them rotated and balanced every 2-3k miles, and got them siped. I'm only at 20k miles though, so I guess they're going to get louder from here on out...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 PM

when i ride in my friends tacoma with 33 bfg m/t i like the noise they make, sounds the way a truck is supposed to sound =]
Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 PM

I run the 255/85/16 bfg mts and I hardly notice the noise unless I try listening for it. I only have like 5 or 6 thousand miles on them though.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 PM

First, the reason why I want that size is that it seems to make sense in terms of the kind of off roading I would like to do and also I like the idea of less tire to move. Its also nice that width never becomes an issue as far as rubbing. But...Its an MT or bust for the most part.

I don't think that I will need them for Mud but I know they are supposed to be killer for pretty much any off road terrain. But if people have gone say...95% of the places with an AT that an MT can go...I should and probably would reconsider.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:07 PM

I am more bothered by an obnoxiously loud exhaust. Mud Tires don't bother me. The tires don't resonate in the cab like a loud muffler does. More like a hum with the windows closed.

I prefer a radial mud tire in all situations. I think a radial mud tire is a better "all terrain" tire than an AT is. The AT will suck in more situations than it does well in. Where the MT works fine everywhere.

And really the tires you are considering are pretty tame by comparison to Boggers or TSL's and are really an AT by comparison. The voids are not that big.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 PM

i don't have mud terrains, but my friend has Pro-comp M/T on his F150 and when i'm inside my house with all windows closed i can hear him rumble up my street from about 200 yards away. I never want to go anywhere in his truck because the noise is super annoying.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Man4God
First, the reason why I want that size is that it seems to make sense in terms of the kind of off roading I would like to do and also I like the idea of less tire to move. Its also nice that width never becomes an issue as far as rubbing. But...Its an MT or bust for the most part.

I don't think that I will need them for Mud but I know they are supposed to be killer for pretty much any off road terrain. But if people have gone say...95% of the places with an AT that an MT can go...I should and probably would reconsider.
Take deep mud and deep snow out of the equation, and a good A/T will go 95%+ of the places that M/T does (tire sizes being equal). Do some searches of what some of the more respected and experienced yotatechers run, you'll see many run A/T's (ie. BFG AT's) and use them on hardcore trails without mud bogs and deep snow.

Don't get me wrong, M/T's can be great, but your original question was about whether they are noisy. They are and don't let anyone tell you they aren't.

My guess is you'll always question whether or not you can live with M/T's. Even if you go with A/T's, the M/T question will always be at the back of your mind. So go get some M/T's and be done with it, you need the experience and no amount of discussion or questions by you will solve that.

Until I am mud boggin regularly or doing the deep snow thing, I will always lean towards the quieter, less rattling AT's. Been there, done that and prefer my AT's. As for looks though, nothing looks better that some MT's on a rig.

My 4cents, or is it 6 now? LOL

Cheers
Old 03-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

buy some good m/t... not pro comp. It's a truck, not a BMW, it sounds good for a truck, looks good, and handles good off-road. Even a/t (bfg) make some noise over stock tires. Just buy the M/T before you change your mind and go for all out street tires
Old 03-28-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
quit being a wuss and just run em...

If they are too loud.... get a better stereo

the only thing "loud" to me are boggers
Old 03-28-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by denpacc
Take deep mud and deep snow out of the equation, and a good A/T will go 95%+ of the places that M/T does (tire sizes being equal). Do some searches of what some of the more respected and experienced yotatechers run, you'll see many run A/T's (ie. BFG AT's) and use them on hardcore trails without mud bogs and deep snow.

Don't get me wrong, M/T's can be great, but your original question was about whether they are noisy. They are and don't let anyone tell you they aren't.

My guess is you'll always question whether or not you can live with M/T's. Even if you go with A/T's, the M/T question will always be at the back of your mind. So go get some M/T's and be done with it, you need the experience and no amount of discussion or questions by you will solve that.

Until I am mud boggin regularly or doing the deep snow thing, I will always lean towards the quieter, less rattling AT's. Been there, done that and prefer my AT's. As for looks though, nothing looks better that some MT's on a rig.

My 4cents, or is it 6 now? LOL

Cheers
Great advice. I really think that if I were to play it smart, a solid AT would be just fine. I don't deal with snow, I don't deal with mud (and don't plan to). That being said, I am sure I can be happy with 265/75/16s and then I am pretty much coming back to what I originally thought I was going to buy when I started looking at tires: Nitto Terra Grapplers. Seems to me that a lot of former hardcore BFG guys are switching. So that is the route I am going.

Thanks for all your input though, perhaps one day when this truck is not a DD, MTs will be on there.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:13 AM
Maj

If the reason you hate your Pirellis is because of noise, then you really shouldn't consider any mud tires. As others have said, mud tires are fairly quiet when new but soon begin to howl even with frequent rotation. Some of the more aggressive tread patterns will cause the whole cabin to resonate just before coming to a stop when braking.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:05 AM

I currently am running 35" BFG A/T's on my 89 pick-up. Less then 500 miles on them at the moment and they are not too bad. My father-n-law has some BFG muds on his 96 nissan (stock size tires) with well over 6k miles on them and they are not bad either.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Maj
If the reason you hate your Pirellis is because of noise, then you really shouldn't consider any mud tires. As others have said, mud tires are fairly quiet when new but soon begin to howl even with frequent rotation. Some of the more aggressive tread patterns will cause the whole cabin to resonate just before coming to a stop when braking.
The reason why I hate my Pirellis is because they seriously have never been able to balance for crap. They were fine the few times I took the truck off road as far as traction but they have been cupped since I bought the truck. The truck came with them with about 20,000 miles, about half the life and I am positive that the guy who put them on didn't have them rotated even once...
Old 03-29-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Man4God
Great advice. I really think that if I were to play it smart, a solid AT would be just fine. I don't deal with snow, I don't deal with mud (and don't plan to). That being said, I am sure I can be happy with 265/75/16s and then I am pretty much coming back to what I originally thought I was going to buy when I started looking at tires: Nitto Terra Grapplers. Seems to me that a lot of former hardcore BFG guys are switching. So that is the route I am going.

Thanks for all your input though, perhaps one day when this truck is not a DD, MTs will be on there.
Great, when are you getting your Nitto Grapplers? I think you'll be happy with them.

Cheers
Old 03-29-2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by denpacc
Great, when are you getting your Nitto Grapplers? I think you'll be happy with them.

Cheers
In a couple of months when my wife's tires are paid off. Discount Tire has the 6 months 0% financing if over $500...I can do that easy.