Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

I need some stronger rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nc994run
Obviously you were looking for someone to say "cool story" or something like that, or you wouldn't have posted your story.

The reason you're getting a lot of flak is that we've all been on the trail and gotten stuck behind the guy that is blocking the trail because he broke and had no business of being there in the first place.

I realize you didn't break down, but it seems like you weren't too far from it.
I don't see why I would want someone to say cool story when yes I did almost break down. But I guess you can read my mind and know why I posted this more than I do myself.

Read my title "this is what I get for..."

I damaged my vehicle trying to go on a trail that almost exceeded my trucks limitations. I learned from it. I need more clearance and more traction. So maybe now I might go research for some of my first mods ay?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Obviously the trail DID exceed your trucks limitations..
If it didnt, you wouldnt have to be fixing a ton of stuff.

Obviously the jeep was well modified and suited for the trail, and you werent, so why bother trying?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
Obviously the trail DID exceed your trucks limitations..
If it didnt, you wouldnt have to be fixing a ton of stuff.

Obviously the jeep was well modified and suited for the trail, and you werent, so why bother trying?
two foot diameter tree in the trail of the easy way out. could have waited about an hour or two for the forest service guys to come back with their chain saw in there rhino go cart or whatever they are, but my buddy in the jeep said if I get in, he'll get me out...thankfully it didn't come to that(he would giggle himself to sleep if he got the chance to pull my busted rig out of someplace). It gets very cold at night at 6500 feet in the northern california mountains...didn't want to wait till dark. took the risk and made it home
Old 09-05-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
didn't see the trail, but by the sounds of it maybe someone just needed to pick better lines or use a spotter. Some of the guys on here now know exactly what a stock truck on 31's can do.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its threads like this that piss me off, if you dont push your truck you wont know your limitations, he made it through, and now hes paying to make sure it gets through next time as well, i think its a cool story, you held up with a well modified wrangler
im sure he looked more graceful going through the trail though

not everyone has a dedicated rig with front and rear lockers and 35s that can go anywhere and do anything, most of us push our DDs to their limits and we manage just fine
and i agree with xxxtreme, heck, my stock 94 was yanking out lifted and locked cherokees and had to pull my buddys locker ZR2 on 31s out of every other rough spot
Old 09-05-2010, 06:16 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
and because i was with XXXTREME, i know what our stock vehicles are capable of. we also had a very good spotter.

but...i said enough after 4 hours.....i was sure i was going to break something....that was my threshold and being a long ways from home, it was imperative we make it home under our own power. XXXTREME kept on going for 6 more hours with the other guys.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:00 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Wasn't trying to piss you off, but happy to oblige. If you know you don't have the same equipment, you have to make up for lack of height and open diffs with creative driving. Like xxx said, spotters and better lines. Go read that first post again......"powered through some boulder CRAWLING". That's not pushing your rig. Sorry, that's a bad choice. And sounds like that's where the majority of the damage occurred.

Last edited by kiyobrown; 09-05-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Wasn't trying to piss you off, but happy to oblige. If you know you don't have the same equipment, you have to make up for lack of height and open diffs with creative driving. Like xxx said, spotters and better lines. Go read that first post again......"powered through some boulder CRAWLING". That's not pushing your rig. Sorry, that's a bad choice. And sounds like that's where the majority of the damage occurred.
haha agreed, not so much pissed off, but i understand where the OP is coming from and it seems like hes getting backed into the corner and is being a "female dog" (insert profanity) about it and now standing his ground, but maybe he agrees with you guys idk

either way i agree powering through a boulder crawling trail is just dumb, powering through is a term for mud bogging, not rock crawling, but if it was like he said, "only one way out" and it was on the other side of the boulders, gatta do whatchya gatta do but at the end of the day i think we all agree with xxx lol
Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 AM

And I wasn't trying to gang up on him. I read his remodel thread, thought he had a sweet platform to work off of, and this set him back a couple paychecks is all.

And since there is no pics, who knows if powering through created more body roll and caused extra damage. When I went wheeling with guys at Evans creek, there was a point in following guys with 33's, 4 inch lifts, and spools in the rear became not such a smart move. A couple of us took a different trail and still had a good time. When we all met back up, the only crap the other guys gave us was that they waited for us thinking we took a bypass when we actually took a different trail altogether. If you wheel you should realize people are at different levels. The jeep should have had the courtesy to find an easier trail for a stock rig to keep following.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 AM

yeah, been here and done that.

didn't mangle mine as bad though and I can definitely show you guys some photos of holes you'd be going "really? you went through that?" with a completely stock 91

now I've locked the rear and I'll let y'all know :-)
Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
This story would have been WAY more epic...had a chick been drivin that jeep...then you just got faced.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by skoti89
two foot diameter tree in the trail of the easy way out. could have waited about an hour or two for the forest service guys to come back with their chain saw in there rhino go cart or whatever they are, but my buddy in the jeep said if I get in, he'll get me out...thankfully it didn't come to that(he would giggle himself to sleep if he got the chance to pull my busted rig out of someplace). It gets very cold at night at 6500 feet in the northern california mountains...didn't want to wait till dark. took the risk and made it home
If you would have waited for them to cut down a tree, I would have to say it would be one of the most asinine things I ever read. You got yourself onto the trail with a rig that wasn't capable, and got yourself in trouble. Thankfully you were able to get out, and HOPEFULLY you didn't tear the trail up.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
its threads like this that piss me off, if you dont push your truck you wont know your limitations, he made it through, and now hes paying to make sure it gets through next time as well, i think its a cool story, you held up with a well modified wrangler
im sure he looked more graceful going through the trail though

not everyone has a dedicated rig with front and rear lockers and 35s that can go anywhere and do anything, most of us push our DDs to their limits and we manage just fine
and i agree with xxxtreme, heck, my stock 94 was yanking out lifted and locked cherokees and had to pull my buddys locker ZR2 on 31s out of every other rough spot
good posting..

at the op, at least you made it home.. most web wheelers don't understand that some times you gotta spin to win.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:23 PM

Nevermind

Last edited by kiyobrown; 09-05-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
good posting..

at the op, at least you made it home.. most web wheelers don't understand that some times you gotta spin to win.

Yeah I don't really know what everyone is making a big deal about. I could care less what people think of me, especially on an internet forum. I do appreciate all the advice on here though.

bent the ubolt back a little while ago. Got a new shock for 30 bucks. only the bottom of my rear bumper is dented up,so its not visible. When I re gear my t case I will get a better reinforced skid plate. Maybe some armor, depends on if I'm going to stick with the same sized axles and diffs down the road. I will try to get my buddy with a grinder to cut the ugly nerf bars off. only thing im bummed about is the dent in my fender and the couple small scrapes
Old 09-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
spin your tires and go to jail?? if thats true then 95% of wheelers should be felons.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:15 PM

Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
I have wheeled my rig since it was stock, slowly modifying it. It definitely can't go anywhere. I agree that you need to push the limits of the truck to figure out what it can do, but there are smart ways and not so smart ways to do that.