The Off-Road Gourmet Food, what to cook, how to cook, share your trail side meals with us

Trip Grub

Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Grub

When road-tripping or camping I like to keep things simple and pack light. I’m stocked with eggs (in a plastic crate), turkey, cream cheese, peppers and avocado. Non –cooled items: bagels, chips, mountain man trail-mix and Tabasco Green. With these ingredients I can make breakfast sandwiches, lunch and dinner while keeping my compartment space. If I’m going to require something like specialty burritos for the trip, I’ll make a half dozen before and pack them. I love cooking at home but leave those pleasures behind when exploring.

Jake’s Burrito mix. (Pre-make these for your own good)

Note: Use practical judgment for ingredient measures; I don’t measure

-Onion
-Green chile
-Diced red potatoes
-Sausage AND diced steak
-Fiesta blend shredded cheese
-Tortillas
-Pioneer Brand peppered gravy

Microwave the diced potatoes for 2 minutes while sautéing the onions and green chile in olive oil on med-high in a skillet. Add the potatoes, sausage and steak mixing the entire concoction. After all the items are browned pour beaten eggs over the mix. Fold to turn, keeping those eggs fluffy.

Have your helper prepare the gravy and heat the tortillas in a clean towel (micro not oven) while you cook. Prepare the burritos with a healthy spoonful of gravy on top and enjoy. Don’t second guess the gravy; it’s my secret to living a good life.

Note: Keep these puppies warm if you are going the gravy route; cold gravy=no dice. Find a nice and warm spot in your engine compartment for the trip out to the trail. Use foil, a burrito won’t burn your truck down… just make a huge mess.

Last edited by Vermejo; 05-24-2008 at 04:49 AM. Reason: spelling