Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Trail Kitchens "King Charles" Chuckbox

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 08:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Trail Kitchens "King Charles" Chuckbox

After we got back from vacation up at Mount Rainier National Park the second week of August, I began the hunt for a smaller/lighter chuckbox.
I did not rally care for the other wooden offerings on the market, and I was going to pull the expensive trigger on the Kanz Kitchen, but he is pretty much out of business for now.

Then I came across the King Charles Chuckbox by Trail Kitchens who make assorted camping kitchen setups.
I spoke with them about adding a cable to the front door to hold it horizontal like my wooden one, and they said they could do that.
This way I can set a cutting board on there and chop away.
I wanted an upper compartment added to house the stove like on my old chuckbox, but they could not do that they said.

You can put a stove all the way on the bottom as seen on Trail Kitchens website, but I am using that for plates/bowls, etc.
I will have to hunt for a bag for the Camp Chef Denali stove.
Camp Chef has one, but they are out of stock, so I may have to look elsewhere for one.

Overall I am very pleased with the new chuckbox.
Fully loaded it weighs less than the empty wooden chuckbox.
The wooden one loaded weighs in between 80 to 100 lbs, simply too much for me to be lifting in and out of the rig these days.

I may look in the future to the FJ Cruiser plate system by Goose Gear, and add in their fridge slide module with a drawer on top.
Where they show the fridge, I could just put the new chuckbox in there instead.
This way I could slide out the chuckbox and actually cook off the back of the rig.
That will take a lot of planning though, as I would have to delete my current cargobox, and go with a drawer system of theirs on the other side of the fridge or kitchen module.

Links:

Trail Kitchens Website

The King Charles Chuckbox

Pics and one video:

You do loose the upper stove compartment like I had on the wooden chuckbox built by member Pat Lambert, but this new box is so easy to lift, even fully loaded

My old silverware tray fit just fine in the upper pull out tray, and it has more sections than the one they included

The old paper towel holder works (yeahhhhhhhh), but alas the one for a hand towel will not work

Inside shot of the sections, and I fit just about everything I had in the old chuckbox
I did switch from the heavy Magma 10 piece cookset to the GSI Pinnacle Base Camper non stick Large and Small cookset.
Customer service there did a test fit for me and found that all the pots from the small set will nestle in with the large set just fine.
I found the large set I had the pots were just too big if you only had to heat up a small item.