Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

help swapping buick 225 into my 84

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mouse4x4
The engine compartment cleans up nicely with out all the eletronic junk in there dosent it
yeah i didn't have as much electronics as the 22re guys do but i tore out soooo much emissions stuff it wasn't funny i miss the good old days of seeing your motor and only having a couple wires to run the whole motor!!!

I havent got to drive it yet due to crazy hours at work but i am trying to and i will get video when i do!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Well i finally got to take her out across the street for some snow wheeling and only a couple little bugs to figure out and i will be set!! all i need is a better fitting rad hose cause the one i had was ghetto and burst, P/S belt, and to put on the muffler i have. also i need to get a toyota temp sender so i can know how hot the motor is without an aftermarket gauge, i like the factory look.

The power was sweet though!! i even got to use high range 4wd with out lugging out the motor with 39.5's and 4.10's!! i cant wait to get her on an actual trail!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 03:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice to see the buick conversions still happening. I did mine in '82 and have been very happy with it, I went with the t350 because I had a stick in my smallblock Landcruiser and wanted something easier to drive on the street. I think this is the third or forth engine I put in here but would do it again if I had to. I had an aluminum Buick V8 I was going to install last time but the V6 works and fit so well I rebuilt another and put it back in. The V8 went into my friends baja bug (another great swap)
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 AM

man that looks good!!! i am actually looking for an aluminum buick v-8 to put in, but i would prob go th350 with that much HP and one tons! but that is another build i guess.

so what radiator did you end up using? i have the stock one from my 4cyl right now and figure for the winter up here it will be fine but i am worried about the summer months.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:17 AM

It's a 3 row that I think I got from Downey, it was about $200 at the time but has never overheated (exept when I had a bad head gasket) even in 90*+ temps on the beach. I think it was a deal since it's lasted over 25 years. Check with a local radiator shop, they should be able to build you one using your ends and mounts if it's in good shape.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.. your buick swaps turned out really clean guys!
i have never seen one in a toyota before, but i saw it here, finally... job well done!

I've got a 69 jeepster with a buick 225 V/6. it's all original including the 27k miles on the odometer.
but i love this engine and it has tons of torque!

I got another 225 stored away. but you know, i really should have swapped in a 225 instead of a SBC 327. the chevy's just too much for my truck.

I should have gone the route you guys have taken.. lesson learned i guess!

Mike

85 Toyota p/u 4X4 SBC 327
(and it's too damn powerful)

99 Toyota 4-Runner 4X4
(wifeys)

69 Kaiser Jeepster Commando 4X4
(27k original miles, my daily driver)
Old 03-22-2009, 12:03 PM

I think the Buick V6 is the perfect size and weight for the Toyotas and they don't have enough power to break things every time you get on it. I've only broken one ring gear since '82, My gf had the truck and shifted with the choke/fast idle cable pulled out too far. I had a smallblock in a FJ40 before I built this and it wasn't very practical, I wanted something I could drive everyday and still take on the beach, the Buick conversions were perfect for that purpose.
One of my customers had a mint Jeepster with a V6, it only gets driven a couple times a year while he's up here, I don't think the oil ever gets dirty. I keep trying to get him to sell it to me but it will never happen.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:59 PM

Yeah, jeepsters are pretty rare these days. i don't think i'll be selling mines anytime soon also... haha!

We'll, before finding the other 225, i can only think of one reason to justify the V-8 swap in my p/u.
I pull a trailer behind my truck, and sometimes it's heavy cargo weight to take to my work site.
And when we go out camping, it's the huge ice cooler packed with ice, the gear and a load of firewood in both truck and trailer.

I really do miss the 22R and it's a great engine! but i needed power and the sbc did good. atleast for me.

But again, like you said, the 225 buick would have been the perfect combo overall.

Mike

85 Toyota p/u 4X4 & matching trailer
SBC 327 (and it's too damn powerful)

99Toyota 4-Runner 4X4
(wifeys)

Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Wait a minute......Hey refried.
I have a th350 behind my sbc in the truck... does the buick V-6's have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the chevys?

My jeepster's 225 has a th400 behind it? i gotta' look into this, seriously!

Thanks! Mike

99 Toyota 4-Runner 4X4
(wifeys)

Old 03-22-2009, 03:05 PM

No, There's 2 different bellhousings, a chevy style that fits big and small blocks and another one for Buick, Pontiac, and Olds. I've seen adapter plates that will make them work.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by refried
No, There's 2 different bellhousings, a chevy style that fits big and small blocks and another one for Buick, Pontiac, and Olds. I've seen adapter plates that will make them work.
By any chance, do you know who makes these adapter plates?

And thanks for your help!

Mike

99 Toyota 4-Runner 4X4
(wifeys)

Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 AM

you want to come to alaska i will trade you engine and trannies!!! i would love a 327 to go woth the d-60's and tractor tires that my friend is trying to sell riht now.......could be alot of fun under my truck!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by KONASTAR
By any chance, do you know who makes these adapter plates?

And thanks for your help!

I'd check some of the larger speed shops like Summit, and P.A.W., The last time I put an engine in the truck I was thinking of going with a 4.3 and saw them from a few different companies I don't remember where though.
Tom
Old 03-23-2009, 03:06 PM

another teaser:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=54561935

i got a crack in my radiator so it needs to be replaced for multiple reasons now but it ran great and is too quiet so i might have to get a new muffler for it...lol

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 03-23-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
you want to come to alaska i will trade you engine and trannies!!! i would love a 327 to go woth the d-60's and tractor tires that my friend is trying to sell riht now.......could be alot of fun under my truck!!!!
lol.. the 327 would be a great candidate for that setup. lots of power for it too!
i've never dyno-ed this engine but i really should have. it has 400+ HP potential! and barely has 2k on it.

But i'm still going back and forth on this motor swap idea.
I will rebuild the 225 however, and use it as a backup motor for the jeepster or a future swap for my truck. we"ll see.

And thanks refried. Thats some useful information i can use. You guys have been great!

Mike
Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 AM

lol.. the 327 would be a great candidate for that setup. lots of power for it too!
i've never dyno-ed this engine but i really should have. it has 400+ HP potential! and barely has 2k on it.

But i'm still going back and forth on this motor swap idea.
I will rebuild the 225 however, and use it as a backup motor for the jeepster or a future swap for my truck. we"ll see.

And thanks refried. Thats some useful information i can use. You guys have been great!

Mike

yeah i wish i could have dynoed my 225!! my friend that gave it to me said they had it dynoed when they built it and it was at 250HP and 295 FTLBS but that seems really hot for a 225 but still possible. i do know mine has ported and polished heads a weiland 4 BBL aluminum intake, aftermarket cam that i dont know which one, and an elderbrock 650 on it, which is good for some HP but i dont know if it really is as high as he said.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM

I should have about 230hp with my 3.8, It's .040 over with 9:1s, Big cam, and lots of head/intake work. I took about 1/8 inch of metal from 3 sides of all the intake ports and matched intake and gaskets, When I had them finished I opened up a '86 fuel injected motor and the size and shape of the intakes were similar to what I had done to the '80-84 heads. I would have saved myself a lot of work if I had started with the later rwd fuel injected engine. I'm only running a 390 Holley on mine because at 6000 rpm they only need 350 cfm. I like running smaller carbs for better low rpm response, I used to run a 500 on my last few engines and never had any complaints except fuel mileage.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by refried
I should have about 230hp with my 3.8, It's .040 over with 9:1s, Big cam, and lots of head/intake work. I took about 1/8 inch of metal from 3 sides of all the intake ports and matched intake and gaskets, When I had them finished I opened up a '86 fuel injected motor and the size and shape of the intakes were similar to what I had done to the '80-84 heads. I would have saved myself a lot of work if I had started with the later rwd fuel injected engine. I'm only running a 390 Holley on mine because at 6000 rpm they only need 350 cfm. I like running smaller carbs for better low rpm response, I used to run a 500 on my last few engines and never had any complaints except fuel mileage.
a holley 390? is that a two barrel? i didn't know that they only needed 350 at 6000 rpm, i just had a four barrel intake and an elderbrock sitting in the garage and threw it on there, i think it is even still jetted for a 350...i still need to tune it up.
yeah so i really doubt i got 250 if you are looking at 230 with all that i am probably still in the 200HP range dont you think?

I have seen these motors as high as 325HP but those are high $$$$ race motors

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 03-24-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wait a minute......Hey refried.
I have a th350 behind my sbc in the truck... does the buick V-6's have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the chevys?

My jeepster's 225 has a th400 behind it? i gotta' look into this, seriously!

Thanks! Mike

99 Toyota 4-Runner 4X4
(wifeys)

The Kaiser-Jeep TH 400 needed an adapter (installed at the factory) to fit the "Dauntless" Buick V6, the Dauntless 350 and even the early AMC 360 as Kaiser got older Buick "nailhead V8" bolt pattern on their transmissions.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
a holley 390? is that a two barrel? i didn't know that they only needed 350 at 6000 rpm, i just had a four barrel intake and an elderbrock sitting in the garage and threw it on there, i think it is even still jetted for a 350...i still need to tune it up.
yeah so i really doubt i got 250 if you are looking at 230 with all that i am probably still in the 200HP range dont you think?

I have seen these motors as high as 325HP but those are high $$$$ race motors
An engine needs a lot smaller carb than most people think, I think I needed a 365 cfm carb but they dont make one, so a 390 is close and leaves room for engine mods. The 390 is a 4 barrel, It's made for small displacement engines (they made them to run them on Pinto engines ). The throttle plates and venturis are smaller than a 500 or 650 cfm carb so it has much better throttle responce at low rpms but will start running out of air around 6000rpm (I have hit 5000rpm in third and shifted it at 6500 but I don't do that often).
A stock 231 has about 165 hp, I should have about 230 with all the top end work I have in mine, If you can get 1 hp per cubic inch with a carbed motor your doing pretty good (most people are very optimistic about thier hp ratings.
The high hp engines you see are called Stage II engines, They were built by Buick for Grand National Stock car racing (and other 6 cylinder classes) and have very little in common with the passenger car engines.

Quick Reply: help swapping buick 225 into my 84