Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

OM617.952 into a 1990 v6 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OM617.952 into a 1990 v6 4Runner

Moving my thread from peachparts to here so it might be more useful.

Howdy all,

I've been working seasonally for two years and living out of my '90 the whole time. Play in the summers, ski in the winters and this fall I had the time to do a major upgrade to the living situation.

Over the years, this low mileage beast has had the standard problems fixed, and now I've got a small budget to do a couple upgrades to make it more liveable. I use it as a snowmobile in the winter, and have a full complement of heavy chains. I removed the AC system since it has been dry in the 5 years I've owned it and don't need it in my climate.

I also found a 12v small diesel boat heater from Planar to heat the area in the winter. Its not planned to be a full time heaters, just mornings and evenings to make it comfortable to sleep and defrost the glass. It will be mounted either in the grill along with the fuel tank where air intake and exhaust will be routed into the AC/heater blower motor box, or infront of the spare tire under the body and will vent up into the drain holes in the floor of the bed. Still waiting for it to arrive and then will fabricate the ducting systems for air and fuel intake and exhaust.

Here's a picture of the interior at the moment.

Along the course of things, I've decided to preemptively repower the 4runner with a MB OM617.952 engine before I need to do the headgasket again on this crappy 3vze. This is on a '90 4runner with the r150 transmission

Right now, the mission is to get the om617 running in tip top shape outside of the 4runner using a junkyard ignition, starter, and wiring, then extract the 3vze, remove the oil/coolant temp senders and attach them to the block, then drop the mbz in, fab the engine mounts, figure out a radiator solution, wire in a relay for the glow plugs. I'll deal with the tach some time hopefully

Right now, I've got an adapter plate made and installed from joe@ doomsdaydiesel.net, oil pan made to deal with steering linkage clearance, oil filter re-locator plate for remote filter to deal with firewall clearance, started on some engine mounts using toyota celica 8359 anchor mounts from a junk yard, started to prep an alternator mount that'll reuse the stock alternator bracket, MB power steering pump should mate to the steering gear box without many headaches and in the stock location on the om617 should allow me to remove the crossover lines that are stock in the 4runner. EGR block off plates are made up. Working on wiring a 12v vacuum actuated solenoid to deal with shutoff. No a/c planned yet.

I've also replaced the plugs, injectors, timing chain, head gasket, adjusted valve clearances, new thermostat, waterpump, replaced some vacuum lines and fuel lines, removed the fuel limiter, cleaned the oily ****er up, installed a pre-turbo pyrometer and intake boost gauge for adjusting boost when its in and running, and have put new gaskets everywhere I can find one to replace.

Down the line, I'll add an a/w intercooler if there is space, might add a hood scoop to deal with clearance (and make it look badass), and once I'm happy with it all, it'll earn the MBZ TURBODIESEL badge

Planning to do the swap in the fall after my USFS field season ends. Until then, I can go ahead with the remote oil filter mount, install the gauges and get them lit, expand the fuel filler neck to accept the standard diesel size.

For the swap, there is a major clearance issue in the engine bay since the om617 is longer than the 3vze by a good deal. People have swapped out the 22re for this engine which has a shorter(w56?) transmission attached and the clearance issue seems to be less in those swaps. To deal with this, I was thinking of finding some drivelines from a similar model year with the W56 transmission and mating them to the transmission and transfer case. Does anyone know if the front or rear driveline from the w56 will mate to the t/case or r150f and pumpkin? I figure that if it does, it would be a great way to not have to pay out the nose in a driveline shop, and that they could simply fab up one driveline instead of both.

I also have the swing out spare tire arm, and was thinking of mounting a radiator remotely under the car to avoid the headaches of trying to jam a radiator and fans into the engine bay. The om617 has a purge tank, so I could use that and don't think that having the radiator mounted flat would be an issue. I would also make a screen using some anti-slip metal walkway tread to protect the radiator from rocks, etc.

Here is a summary of what it took and pictures will be added as I can take them:

-Adapter plate to mate MB om617.952 to Toyota r150

-Bearing adapter
-Redrilled Toyota flyhweel for 8 new MB holes

-modified oil pan for steering linkage clearance (removed steering stabilizer)

-Moved transmission 3in back and made plate for crossmember, cut out space in tunnel for shifters
-Filed down MB AC bracket to mount Toyota V-belt alternator, moved alternator wires to driver side
-Found adapter for PS pump hoses to fit Toyota PS gear box (14mm to 16mm adapter from discounthdraulichose.cpom)

For the vacuum shutoff on the engine, I plumbed a line from the main vacuum pump tubing to supply vacuum to toyota part #90910-12073 and from there to the vacuum shutoff port on the IP with a check valve close to the pump, and a slit cut into the vacuum line to bleed the vacuum off. I wired the VSV into the cigarette lighter 12v+ on. That way, when the car is 'on' the vacuum is closed on the vsv, and when the car is 'off' the port opens and pulls vacuum on the IP, then shortly thereafter, the vacuum is drained from the bleed hole enabling a restart. Plumbing for the line goes to the dual port side for the vacuum source, and then the from the free side to the 4wd source, and from the switched side to the vacuum shutoff

I ended up culling a bunch of the electrical system the other day, and was left with very little going into the ECU. This diagram shows what was eliminated

Here's some more pictures.

Throttle adapter

Glow plug wiring and placement

A-Pillar gauges

Glow plugs and auxillary switch

Fan relay wiring, stuffed into the fuse box

Repositioned transmission, inside view

Here's some more from the last round of project time

99-04 Mustang hood scoop in ford metallic blue

Centered, templated, and ready to drill

Driled and secured

Last edited by beardedclam; 05-06-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:47 AM

saved for future use
Old 05-06-2017, 07:47 AM

saved for future use.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:48 AM

saved for future use...
Old 07-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 94 4runner that I finished 2years ago. I also have a 79 pickup w/the om617. Its a great swap. Let me know if you need any advice.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:31 PM

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Old 02-14-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any update on this? I am contemplating doing the same. Both my other trucks are diesel 6.7 cummins and a 6.0 Ford.... Love the torque.