Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

6.2 gm

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info, it reads like a good wikipedia post filled with personal experiences. If you're going to bump a 2 year old "zombie" thread, then bring something to the table. Nice job.

Speaking only for myself here, once I purchased a full sized truck with tons of power I quit trying to squeeze it out of my 22re. I know I have a different goal for my truck than some do, but (as a previous poster stated) I can appreciate it for what it is-reliable, nimble and paid for. That being said, engine swap threads are amazing-what some of you guys can do impresses me to no end.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I mean i agree that for strait out performance a SBC or a LSX would be a far better choice. However not every one builds trail only or race rigs. Since there are lots of parts out there for SBC swaps this would be no harder IMOP. It might be even less stress full since you dont have to worry about dialing in a carb and you dont have a tall manifold to worry about for hood clearance. Simply put they are work horses. Also not factored in is there where different versions of both engines. NA the 6.2s range from 135-150hp and the 6.5s NA range from 142-172hp. Factory turbo 6.5s where rated at 195-220hp. They are dogs with out turbo's but lets face it a 22RE is a little bit of a dog its self and you can argue with numbers and low end grunt which these trucks tend to love.

Other pros to the 6.2/6.5s are
Military surplus parts, engines, trucks, etc.
Used as government vehicles many still in use.
Very popular as fleet vehicals
Can be found in just about every pick and pull in the world.
Mechanical injection.
Cheap
Efficient
Easy to work on.
Goes any where a SBC will so just about every where.
Great first time diesel

Down sides.
NEEDS BOOST TO MAKE ANY DECENT POWER
NA they are dogs end of story.
Lots of torque might be hard on toyota trans. Not sure about the R150 and R151 they might hold up.
Might have to fab headers to work with the diesel heads.
Does need a good radiator to keep cool.
Not a lot of room for the small block and turbo.
If you are building a NA 6.2 or 6.5 you might want to upgrade the injectors and IP while its out so thats about 600-800 bucks but well worth it IMOP. Saves a lot of pain latter if its a used engine.

Last edited by cbr600rx7; 06-07-2011 at 07:44 PM.