All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

My Lexus V8 into 2nd Gen 4Runner conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad a$$ i love it
Old 01-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

hey tt!

ive seen your rig on the aussie site but never found the pix or write-up of your swap. that is a neat and tidy job, well done!

lee
Old 07-10-2006, 01:28 AM

I've already posted this Vid in a seperate thread so most of you might have already seen it, but just thought I'd add it to the buildup thread I done of the V8 swap for anybody that searches this in the future.

So, heres a vid of my Lexus V8 2nd Gen 4runner
Enjoy!
http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/al...V8_4Runner.avi
Old 07-10-2006, 02:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome... As with 90% of the other members here a V8 swap is on my list too.

I'll end up doing it myself though to save a few grand. I'll also probably end up with a Chevy 350 too although if I get a chance to get a 4.7l Toyota motor before I do it I'll jump all over it. Around here though used parts and engines from wrecks go for 90% of what a new motor costs so I'll probably go with Chevy. I can get a brand new Chevy 350 with 290hp/330 lbs in a crate from GM for $1500.

I ahve the 4.7 in our 4runner and I have to say I bet it's a blast in that rig for sure. I drool everytime I drive it!

Btw I don't know what year engine you have, but my '03 runner specs out to 235hp/320 lbs... And what a kick in the pants it is.

Congrats on one hell of a truck.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Btw I don't know what year engine you have, but my '03 runner specs out to 235hp/320 lbs... And what a kick in the pants it is.

Congrats on one hell of a truck.
Thanks mate glad you like it....

My V8 is the 1UZ-FE, which is the 4.0l all alloy V8, so that'd be why it has different power specs to your 4.7l....The 1UZ-FE V8 is found in Lexus Celsiours (LS400), Soarers (SC400), and Crowns (GS400).

Heres a link to more specs
http://www.lextreme.com/Lex%20Specs.pdf

And yeah, my 4runner has that same kick in the pants feel.....I absolutely love it!!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:13 PM

Hey Twisty...Great Job pal... Hats off 4 U

I did my swap with a 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE) from a 2003 Prado into my 1992 4X4 P/U truck (Thread: https://www.yotatech.com/search.php?searchid=2035499). It took a while, but I'm finaly done!

I still got pits and pieces here and there to tweak though. I'm not a mechanic but got passion for TOTYOTA and wanted everything to be TOYOTA while others advised me of not venturing into unexplored lands!! They told e to get a MOstang 5.0L H.O. or a chevey or other but I wanted the challenge and I made it ...Hurray...

enough of that..now, I have a rattle like when the truck moves from a complete stop and I am suspecting [not certain of the gears ratios...!! Whoops] the gears in my front differential since I changed them from a 1998 prado to mate with the propeller shaft (Left Hand side of Vehicle - Driver suide- US standard) coming from the transfer case. That rattle fades away as I speed and things seem to be normal then.

Any hint from you would be welcomed.
Thanks..
WINDANCER4X4
Old 08-14-2006, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

It looks like it has always been there. Great job!
Old 08-15-2006, 03:54 AM

P.i.m.p.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:35 AM

WOW!!! That thing is unbelivable.... big props to you my man. Looks fantastic! And sooo clean. Very good job. Dya wanna do mine?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by jct61765
It looks like it has always been there. Great job!
Originally Posted by OutdoorLiving
P.i.m.p.
Originally Posted by 4Runner 4Play
WOW!!! That thing is unbelivable.... big props to you my man. Looks fantastic! And sooo clean. Very good job. Dya wanna do mine?
Thanks fella's.....glad you like it!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by windancer4x4
Hey Twisty...Great Job pal... Hats off 4 U

I did my swap with a 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE) from a 2003 Prado into my 1992 4X4 P/U truck (Thread: https://www.yotatech.com/search.php?searchid=2035499). It took a while, but I'm finaly done!

I still got pits and pieces here and there to tweak though. I'm not a mechanic but got passion for TOTYOTA and wanted everything to be TOYOTA while others advised me of not venturing into unexplored lands!! They told e to get a MOstang 5.0L H.O. or a chevey or other but I wanted the challenge and I made it ...Hurray...

enough of that..now, I have a rattle like when the truck moves from a complete stop and I am suspecting [not certain of the gears ratios...!! Whoops] the gears in my front differential since I changed them from a 1998 prado to mate with the propeller shaft (Left Hand side of Vehicle - Driver suide- US standard) coming from the transfer case. That rattle fades away as I speed and things seem to be normal then.

Any hint from you would be welcomed.
Thanks..
WINDANCER4X4
Thanks mate, glad you like it!!! The 4.0l V6 would be a sweet motor!! A mate has a 2004 prado with that motor, and he pretty much kept up with mine when we had a drag on the beach one day.....and if I sold my runner, I'd be getting a Prado (we haven't got new 4runners since 96 :cry: ) or Hilux with that motor.

I wouldn't have a clue what is causing your problem but sorry....specially if it's only happening at slower speeds, you would think that it'd get worse with speed if it was something to do with the diffs, or driveshafts??
Old 08-16-2006, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I will be doing similar thing too but mine is a 2UZFE and it is going into my 93 2wd kind of like that little orange one you have in the pics.

I have been on your site before. I was wondering if you have better shots of the motor mounts.

James
Old 08-16-2006, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by JamesD
I will be doing similar thing too but mine is a 2UZFE and it is going into my 93 2wd kind of like that little orange one you have in the pics.

I have been on your site before. I was wondering if you have better shots of the motor mounts.

James
Nice....there is quite a phew 2wd pickups in Oz running Lexus V8's.....I'd love to have a drive of one!! would be awesome fun!!!

These are the only other pics I've got of the engine mounts (sorry about the quality)

LHS

RHS

And you can kinda see the RHS one in this pic behind the alternator....this if from when I swapped my new motor in after overheating my first motor and blowing the headgasket. It was cheaper to get another motor then to bother fixing it, and the newer motor is in heaps better condition then my original one.
http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/album285/DSCF1875.jpg

If you need better photos, or more specific ones, just let me know and I'll go take some.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:45 AM

That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! Factory look and from what i can see in the pics factory fit. I have been looking for motor swaps for my new project 4runner(85) because it has a blown head gasket. I do VW swaps all the time and aim to make it looks as stock as possible.I had thought about the 350 or 327 swap in to the runner but after alot of thought i figured i would apply the same ideas used in my vw's,Make it look like it came that way,clean as possible,keep the motor vw just from a newer car. The main swap i started out doing was taking the VR6 motor from a corrado,passat,jetta and putting them in to mk2 gti's.Its easy but still a v6 in a car ment for 80hp.

I was thinking a trd s/c v6 in the 4runner but this looks so nice and im sure theres more power from this. Im going to look for a motor.If everything works out i will be messaging you for some pics/info.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! Factory look and from what i can see in the pics factory fit.

I was thinking a trd s/c v6 in the 4runner but this looks so nice and im sure theres more power from this. Im going to look for a motor.If everything works out i will be messaging you for some pics/info.

Thanks mate, glad you like it!! So many people comment on just how factory the swap looks, and it's something I'm very proud of, as thats what I wanted to achieve!!

I recently got dal battery's setup under the bonnet, got an Odyssey PC1200 for the Start Battery, and a 120amp/hr Fullriver AGM Aux. Battery.....should have no dramas running the stereo and fridge all weekend while camping now!! I've still got to wire it up, and tidy up the other wiring...But heres a couple of pics.

Other recent mods are 4.8's diffs and rear air-locker. The 4.8s made a huge difference with running the 35's, should have done it ages ago!! So nice to have some bottom end again! And its currently in at a mates workshop getting some custom sliders and rear bar with tyre carrier made up!!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who'd have thought that with all that motor under the hood you'd have had room for another battery?

Such an awesome truck twisty...
Old 09-27-2006, 09:24 AM

Old 09-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by twisty_toy94
A pic from just before the front diff went bang!!

Can you say BEAST!

Wow, a V8 AND dual batteries in there and it still has room for more! Very clean swap, you Aussies can do it up right. One question though what does the body lift have to do with the steering link? Did you mean an engine lift maybe?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

This is such a great resource, I'm looking into doing a 1UZ-FE swap myself... look forward to get some PM's from me asking for information. :-)
Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Can you say BEAST!

Wow, a V8 AND dual batteries in there and it still has room for more! Very clean swap, you Aussies can do it up right. One question though what does the body lift have to do with the steering link? Did you mean an engine lift maybe?
Thanks mate!! Kinda both.....the 2" bodylift allows the engine to sit higher up (engine lift) so the front sump can clear the steering link that runs under the engine bay (the one connecting the idler arm to the steering box). You can see there's not much clearance in this pic.

Quick Reply: My Lexus V8 into 2nd Gen 4Runner conversion.