All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1UZ-FE into 87 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1UZ-FE into 87 4Runner

I am putting a 93 LS 400 motor into my 1987 Toyota 4 Runner. I have got the engine all mounted and the wiring connected how I think it should be but I am having a problem. The engine starts and idles rough like it is misfiring. The engine won't rev past like 2500 RPM (the tach isn't connected so I am estimating) and keeps on misfiring. I checked the check engine light and I am getting a code 12 which the factory service manual says is a problem in the connection for the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors but I have checked for continuity all the way to the ecu and the resistances of the sensors read in the normal range.

I am just wondering if anyone has ever come across this because I am running out ideas on things to check or try. I started the engine before I took it out of the car and it ran perfect so it shouldn't be anything mechanical, it has to be something with my wiring. Its probably something simple that I am overlooking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:30 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
just a shot in the dark man , but what did you do about the dash speed sensor . some people describe this problem happening when the dash speed sensor was not connected, this is why I used the ls 400 cluster.

check this thread out.There is a better thread on this on lextreme but cant find it right now.

again Im assuming you have the stock computer.
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=54136
Old 03-13-2010, 07:39 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

ohh and how about some pics and more details of this swap man ..
Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the fast reply. That's an interesting article and I'll look into that. I'm using a 96 4runner auto trans. UZ bellhousing, Lexus oil pump and planetary. I drilled out and installed the forward most speed sensor that is needed/missing on the 4runner trans. I have an inchworm adapter along with my 21 spline gear box therefore I made my lexus electrical speed sensor that was in the tailhouse of the lexus fit into my t-case. I machined the mechanical sensor shaft so it would fit in the electrical sensor therefore it would have the correct gear on it. So all three speed sensors are hooked up.... I just swapped the Lexus valvebody into the toyota trans so that the wiring and solenoids would be the same. Everything lined up exactly as it should so I dont foresee a problem with that.... Does anything here seem like it jumps out at you as being incorrect? thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 08:05 AM

I just have to figure out how to post pics on here and i will. Im a newbie to posting but not to wrenching
Old 03-13-2010, 08:51 AM

Here is my build. I have used Yotatech, Uzswap, lextreme, the most for research. Without these sights I would not have attempted this swap. I bought a donor 93 LS400 for 450 bucks. It was rolled but it started up and revved and idled quiet and perfect. My trans setup is a 96 toyota 4runner V6 auto. A340F. I picked that up with a T-case for 115 bucks. I swapped the Bellhousing, oil pump, and planetary gears and Torque Converter from the Lexus A341LE. I'm using the inchworm adapter with my 21 spline gear T-case. I installed the forward most speed sensor on the trans as did Cebby from UZswap.com. For the T-case speed sensor I machined the mechanical shaft+gear to fit the electrical sensor. I had to do this because of the difference in gears. 17 vs 18 teeth. I made my own engine mounts. They are solid 3/16 steel. I am also using my stock transmission crossmember. Stock Driveshafts fit perfect too. This doesn't allow me room for a cooling fan in the engine bay which I am ok with. I'm just going to use a pusher fan. I removed the AC compressor and got a shorter belt. I am using the SC400 oil filter housing even though the LS400 one would have fit fine. 2000 tundra headers fit awesome. I just rotated the flanges for a better angle. I made a bracket to lower my steering stabilizer a little bit. My truck also has a 3inch body lift. This made it a lot easier to fit everything. I know there is more but I cant think of it at the moment
Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

hey man , just curious , if you had the whole car ( engine ,tranny) and were going to buy the inchworm adapter .. why buy the a340f and go though all that work swapping parts.The lexus tranny is supposed to be a better match to the 1uz.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:51 PM

well I have to say that there is a learning curve with doing this swap and I found some things out the hard way. I got a auto trans from a 89 4runner. I swapped the output shaft into the lexus and was going to use the T-case from that. that way I wouldnt have to buy an adapter. That whole Intregal T-case bull really messed with my head. I saw a guy on Uzswap did it this way so I thought I could save some money..... This didnt work out and I was left with a lexus trans with a incapatible output shaft. I really didnt want to swap the lexus shaft back in and but a 700 dollar adapter so I got the 4runner trans. If I had the knowledge that I have now about the swap I would DEFINITELY get the prerunner adapter right off the bat. No question about that. Out of all of these sites I never found anyone that swapped the Lexus valve body into the A340F. I bolts directly in and this way you have all of the Lexus solenoids and capatible wiring. This is much easier than swapping the A340F output shaft into the lexus trans. I suppose there might be a difference in clutches between the A340F and the A341LE tho. I guess I'll find out how it holds up

Last edited by blackness; 03-13-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:53 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Yea ive seen some threads showing guys did do what you finished with but not the valve body. Hope it works out.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

get a free photobucket account and upload all your pics there. then just copy and paste the IMG Code from each pic. I think its the 5th link under the pics once uploaded to photobucket.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Swapping the Lexus Valve body into the 4Runner Trans

Forward most speed sensor drilled out on the 4Runner Trans. NOTE: you need to swap the planetary gear from the lexus in order to have the pickup ring for the sensor to read

Im uploading more pics of my engine mounts and adapter plate and whatever else I can find.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 PM

My Donor 93 LS400

Engine pulled

All of the wiring pulled just in case I need something. I'm not using the Lexus cluster

Test Fitting

Thats the final positioning

SC400 Oil Filter Housing

LS400 shifter setup. Its ugly as hell but it'll work for now

A good shot of the 00 Tundra Headers and my Custom engine mounts

Mounts

Old 03-14-2010, 09:17 PM

Inchworm Adapter Plate attached to my 21 spline T-case

My work bench that clearly has too much stuff on it
Old 03-15-2010, 02:37 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Great pics man .. Thanks .

Looks like your motor is sitting back just a little further than mine.

Do you have a body lift ?
Nice welding on those mounts , How did you put those holes in the mounts , they look perfect.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Thanks! I started with a 1/8in drill bit then switched to my step bit/uni-bit. Those bits drill through that thick metal like butter. The little ridge you see at the top of the hole is just the next size on the step bit making a little cut. And yes I have a 3inch body lift. I didnt really want one but it actually looks pretty good and it made the swap much easier.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:52 PM

by the way I have to say thanks because I spent hours reading you build thread and it really helped me.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice welds on the motor mounts blackness

Did you have to cut and rotate the flange on the driver side exhaust manifold? Mine was pointing right at the frame rail on my swap.

Last edited by Yota 3.0; 03-18-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Thanks YOTA, yeah I rotated both just to make it easier. I wish I had a TIG welder. Then I could make some seriously clean welds.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:01 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

no problem man glad i could help.

Hey have you been able to figure out your problem yet.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Yeah I figured it out. I still have not driven it yet because I dont have any exhaust tho. Ill condense this story for you. My trans wasnt shifting into any gear at all. So I wanted to inspect the shifting pin in the valvebody and make sure it was operating properly. Once I had the trans pan off I saw right away that I didnt have the little shifting pin in between the valvebody pin therefore it wasnt moving when I moved the shifter above. I fixed that and put it all back together. I started it, reverse works, neutral, Drive, etc. I put it back into park and realized that it was idling smoother than normal so I revved it up. It revved very freely and smoothly. I dont know the technical reasoning behind this, possibly something with the gear position switch, i dont know. All I know is that I'm very happy that is figured out.

Quick Reply: 1UZ-FE into 87 4Runner