3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

She's Dead...Where to find a 3.4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She's Dead...Where to find a 3.4?

The 3-slow finally gave out on the old 4runner. Honestly, I'm not sure what went wrong, and I don't want to find it. All you need to know is that its a miracle I ran for that long on cylinders with 74-80 PSI. Anyway, I'm in the Denver area and I'm looking for a 3.4 5 speed with low miles, just like everyone else. Does anyone on here know of any importers or sellers that have any in their inventory currently? Ive called the two biggest JDM importers (Arizona and NY) and neither of them have an 5speeds coming though any time soon. I've also cruised CL and the forum looking for people, but everyone I've come across is looking for 1800 or more. They say they've all but dried up on the shipments. ANY help at all would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:56 PM

I forgot to mention, I'm thinking about just spending the money and going with the Yota Shop kit: https://www.yotashop.com/toyota-3-4l...y-engine-swap/ What do you think?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't necessarily have to have a 5 speed as a donor. The most important thing is to have an engine, harness and ECM from compatible models. I'm about to do a swap on my 89 4Runner with an engine and harness from a 2000 auto. My ECM is from the auto so I'm going to find me a 5 speed ecm and make the wiring work. A good 3.4 should run you around $800-$1200 retail. I bought my whole donor vehicle with 150K miles for $225. I would take your time and try and find you a wrecked rig if you have the time. That way you will have all of the parts you might need.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know and don't care why your old engine failed, are you sure you are up to the task of the swap? You are going to need some working knowledge of both engines in order to get this project completed. The engine swap is going to be a couple skill levels above figuring out what happened to your 3.0.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you look at Yoda-Jim's A.K.A. Jim's used Toyota Parts in Colorado? Got a G52 Tranny from there month ago for about $350 delivered to my front door in Arizona. http://yodajims.com/ I ordered it just after mid-day on Thursday and had it on Tuesday... Tranny is great! I've bought several other things from them, they try to please,

grey
Old 04-18-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know and don't care why your old engine failed, are you sure you are up to the task of the swap? You are going to need some working knowledge of both engines in order to get this project completed.
Sorry, I was still a little frustrated when I typed this and realized I wasn't that clear. When I said I don't know and don't care, what I meant was that I had very low compression in all cylinders and 0 in my front right (2 I believe). I'm just tired of ducking around with the 3.0 just to have more crap break, so it's not worth my time or effort to dig into it and spend more money on it.