3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Last step of 3.4 Swap, Need help PLEASE! ADD SW /4WD wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last step of 3.4 Swap, Need help PLEASE! ADD SW /4WD wiring

I am nearing completion of swapping a 97 3.4 MT engine into a 1995 4runner (converted to manual during swap) and need help with the last bit of wiring. I have 4 plugs going back to the transmission area on the new harness (ADD detection SW(transfer 4wd position), ADD indicator SW, L4 transfer position, and Back up light. I only have two plug ports on the transmission; back up light and the other plug. I also have the ADD SW on the front differential and I believe that will be spliced into the ADD indicator SW but I am confused to say the least.

I am not sure which of the three plugs need to go into the other plug on the tranny and what needs to be spliced and am I not using one or two of them in the swap?? Need some help understanding this portion and I cant seem to find this information anywhere in the forum (I am sure its there but cant find it)

Please help in explaining what I need to do here. Other than this I am ready to call it good!!

Thanks!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 AM

im curious... how did this turn out for you?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Smile

It turned out great! I sooo love the power and the smooth sound of the engine. I am having some slight minor issues that I need to go and spend some time repairing. I have a couple very small leaks and my tach mod for some reason is not working. I know it must be operator error with soldering the resistor so I have to rip back down to the dash and try to fix it.I also had a small leak on my oil pan I found after everything was mostly buttoned up so I had to fix that which caused a huge delay and tons of time to finish the project. But that was mainly due to the way I fixed it. I live in Cali and have not finished it up enough to get it into the ref for review. So that may also be fun. Right now I have been looking for someone in Sacramento that could help me finalize everything and fine tune the engine and fix some of my last little items.On this project I also went from auto to manual and that has been enjoyable having a stick back! All in all I would do it again in a heartbeat.I could not have even attempted it without yotatech and Hamish18 (Chris) and few other folks on here. Lots of research and lots of time away from the kids and wife but I am nearly there.I do love it though!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm doing practically the same swap as you right now with a 2003 MT 3.4 into a 1995 AT 4Runner. Was it necessary for you to use the 3.0 motor mounts? https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...s-used-236537/
Old 06-11-2011, 10:40 PM

I'm a little bit from Sacramento, but I have lots of experience in engine conversions and a good amount in 3.4 swaps. If you want a service appt PM for shop information (don't want to post a website link or phone number, in case that's a nono) or if you need help to do it on your own then post away and I'll pitch in
Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Thanks CJgarage

I may end up taking you up on it.

Right now I am stumped on the tach mod. I have soldered and resoldered several different 10K ohm resistors in the right place and it looks like it is reading the right signal but it is off by 2500 rpms. I turn the power on and it flips right up to 2500ish and then turn it over and goes up to 3000ish.. So i think it is just offset but functioning.. Is this common with every tach mod?? Does anyone know on this? I have searched around and it seems like everyone solders it on and badda bing its perfect so I just don't quite understand the issue.. Stupid questions, does it matter which way the resistor faces?

Anyone? Thanks guys!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Bump on Tach issue!! AC help?

Anyone have the issue I described above with their tach? I guess I will have to trace the wires and check for shorts. I did find a couple wires messed up yesterday but still didn't fix my issue. Could it be something with with the igniter and wiring their or grounding? It seems to be functioning but just offset.I so love this swap!! Just need to get the AC working and this tach issue fixed and I am done finally!! I so do love it though. Thanks to all your posts outs there and the ton of info on this swap. Could not have done it without all of you guys!- Jason