3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Idea: Toyota Engine swap site

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Idea: Toyota Engine swap site

I've been thinking about building a fairly simple engine swap site to show wiring differences and such for different combos. Figured why not post to find some suggestions for other things that I could/should include on the site.

Personally I haven't done a modern engine swap, only the old stuff on domestic trucks, however I have a fair bit of knowledge in electronics, wire diagrams, wire harnesses, and worked as a database administrator in the past so I'm pretty sure I could get it made. Currently my main focus is the ecu wiring differences for pickups, 4runners, T100s, and Tundra's, but I'd be more than willing to slowly expand it over time. One part of the site that I'd like to have as a key feature is a good comment/tips system based on exact (or maybe similar) engine swaps so some of the content would be user generated while the wiring details would be from FSM with feedback for errors/corrections.

Usage of the site would be pretty straight forward, something like platform (body/frame you're using), engine (ex: 5VZ-FE), trans (ex:R150 old style from 3.0L), and engine harness (ex: 5VZ-FE automatic). It would provide a printable page showing the ECU wiring differences, if/what needs to be sourced or built, and I'd like to have it show connector differences between the two like the 3 vs 4 wire TPS on the 5VZ-FE.

So suggestions, ideas?

Mods/Admin if this is against the rules, or there's a better section to post this in please move/close as needed.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds interesting to me! Off Road Solutions has a great write up of the 3.4 swap, but it's always great to have more info, and more people participating!
Old 02-08-2017, 11:46 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I didn't mention it before, but the site would be free access, and likely have ads unless a donate button brought in enough to cover hosting etc which I'd prefer. Kind of hate to make it an online store too, but could sell pig tails for splicing into your existing harness and such that are pre-pinned for the application, or if it's a common enough swap, look into conversion adapters that plug between the engine/dash harness and ECU. I'd love if/when it's made that users that are doing the swap can also validate the info on the site is accurate which would more or less be the first step of starting the electrical work.

Thanks for the note about off road solutions, I'll have to take a peak over there some time. Not looking to copy anyone, but sometimes a second look on things helps give ideas to better data formats and such.

The site likely won't be open for release for a year or so since I'm basically working on it in my free time. I have some interesting design issues to figure out and the fact not everything is labeled exactly the same in the service manuals (G vs G+, NE vs NE+, VC vs VCC, etc)

Just to log the idea for later reference for myself, I'm planning to make the repin chart/instructions follow the pin order connector by connector except when there's conflicting pins, then it will show the conflicting pin moved first, and if it conflicts with it's new location, continue until a free spot is found. Logic for this is so at any point in time, the end user will only have a single pin pulled from the ecu connector keep confusion to a minimum (I had this issue when re-pinning a T100 manual harness to auto ecu in manual application).