3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

The Gryphon Runner Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Gryphon Runner Swap

Where to begin? I guess the beginning is the best place.
Around the first of the year, RoadKill (freaking love that show) posted a story on Facebook about the best trucks that can be bought for summer job money, one of which was an old Tacoma. Summer money doesn't exactly apply as I'm a 36 year-old married father of two with a steady, year-round job, but it got me thinking. I've always loved the old Toyota trucks and 4Runners, probably starting from when I was a wee lad watching that iconic scene in Back to the Future.
So I started doing research, and settled on a second-generation 4Runner as the one for me. It has that old-school styling but is new enough to have or take a modern-ish power plant. It's also smaller than the third-generation and later 4Runners. Perhaps most importantly, I could buy one cheap and work on it in my free time until it could become my daily driver. You'd be surprised what you can buy for $800 if you look hard enough.
In retrospect, I probably overpaid. The guy I bought it from lived an hour away. On the other side of a mountain pass. In January. In northern Utah. The engine had... issues (more on that later) which prevented me from going over said pass and I made it not even half way up before the engine blew up. So add another $200 tow to the price of the car. Fortunately, I got it started once it had cooled off and was able to limp it up the driveway and onto the RV pad where I could work on it. The thing is I knew the engine would need some work, but I was expecting a blown gasket that I could fix and drive until I was ready to drop in a 3.4L. That wasn't to be.
I looked at doing a JDM import 3.4, but from what I was reading it was a mixed bag. You might get an easy one or you might get one that just wouldn't work without a lot of parts from your "original" 3.4 (which of course I didn't have). This left me with junkyards and people parting out their wrecked Tacomas and 4Runners. A 3.4L doesn't last long in a junkyard because they are highly sought after around here, so I had to wait for someone to wreck their car. I finally found one in March for $900 including ECM, and borrowed a buddy's trailer and Jeep to haul it home. Add a Harbor Freight engine stand and I was in business, at least while the snow wasn't too deep.
It took me about two weeks to completely tear down the engine to a bare block because 1) I was working only when the sun was shining and 2) most days were unseasonably cold and windy. Finally I was ready to send the engine off to get hot tanked, honed, and decked, and start the rebuild. This is where the pictures begin.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And so it begins. There's no need to paint your block, but I figure if I went to the trouble of cleaning 22 years of grease and grime off a block, why not slap a coat of rattle can on there?
Cleaned up the oil cooler with a $30 soda blaster from Harbor Freight (notice the ubiquitous soda on the ground behind the block). If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a soda blaster on day 1 because it is so much faster and easier than using any of the solvents I tried.
Moving parts going in. The crank was pristine and didn't need any love.
Bearing cap and pistons are in and torqued to spec.
Notice I used the original baffle plate and not the 3.0 plate. I splurged for the T100 pickup tube, so I didn't have to hack up the old baffle play and pickup tube. Turns out it was a good decision. The oil pressure switch is just a placeholder until I can get the pressure sensor off the 3.0.