3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

FYI: 5VZ-FE V6 works fine with the auto A340H

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completed this swap a year and a half ago and It's all good. Mine was a 94 Surf (Jap import) with a 3vz. I used the stock trans (A343H) and it shifts fine, the power/economy button doesnt seem to change anything but that might be in the wiring, (need to check over it again) it seems to be stuck on power mode cause it will rev its nut off when u give it a hard time (all good). The speedo works fine but the cruise (from the 5vz) surges a bit too much (might be the wrong speed signal UK was talking about)
I left the trans wiring alone and spliced the 5vz harness to the 3vz trans harness (there are some plugs near the bellhousing that seperate the 3vz trans wiring from the 3vz engine harness, I joined the wires there so the trans can be unplugged and replaced easily if needed)
ADD, 4WD, A/C (see my posts on this forum if u want to know what I did for the a/c)etc all working too. Just need to sort the cruise out.
If someone finds out about the signal converter please post the info here for others.
PM me if anyone wants more info.
Cheers, Adam
Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wilko76
I completed this swap a year and a half ago and It's all good. Mine was a 94 Surf (Jap import) with a 3vz. I used the stock trans (A343H) and it shifts fine, the power/economy button doesnt seem to change anything but that might be in the wiring, (need to check over it again) it seems to be stuck on power mode cause it will rev its nut off when u give it a hard time (all good). The speedo works fine but the cruise (from the 5vz) surges a bit too much (might be the wrong speed signal UK was talking about)
I left the trans wiring alone and spliced the 5vz harness to the 3vz trans harness (there are some plugs near the bellhousing that seperate the 3vz trans wiring from the 3vz engine harness, I joined the wires there so the trans can be unplugged and replaced easily if needed)
ADD, 4WD, A/C (see my posts on this forum if u want to know what I did for the a/c)etc all working too. Just need to sort the cruise out.
If someone finds out about the signal converter please post the info here for others.
PM me if anyone wants more info.
Cheers, Adam
Hi Adam. Thanks for yor post. Did you also used the stock ECU?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Yeah mate I used the stock 5vz ecu and didnt touch the trans at all, I just unplugged the trans wires at the joiners near the bellhousing and cut the plugs off the 3vz loom and then joined them to the corresponding wires on the 5vz loom and plugged it back in. It took a bit of nutting out to match up the shift solenoids right, but I had crap diagrams.
And the rest is basically the same as a manual swap.

Note: My trans is the A343H - I dont know how that differs from the A340H

Last edited by Wilko76; 12-01-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 AM

Talking

forget the auto tragic, how would a manuel 6 speed do on a 3.4 .. and idea . i cant seem to loacte a 5speed for my 2wd 2000 taco . drive shaft lenghts and will the hard line fit clucth assembly

Originally Posted by LoneStarMac
Got off the phone with ORS the other day. Contrary to what's on their web site, they are now saying the 3.4 will bolt right up the the 2nd gen auto tranny, and the 3.4 ECU will control it, no problem.
I know this is great news for me, and I'm sure for a lot of 2nd gen owners also.
Less work less $$...

Chuck
Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 PM

Manual 6-speed!??!? I want one!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Ok, FINALLY, I'm getting some time to work on this after exactly one year of my truck sitting in my friend's shop.

Already have diagrams for both. The 97 4Runner plugs fit perfectly on a 98 T100 ECU, but the cables dont match AT ALL. Some signals are even switched to a different plug..... >.<

I also downloaded the diagram for a 97 T100 ECU. Some plugs still change (mostly tranny ones. I guess this all has to do with the VSS's), but most are the same. Since I have a 98 T100 ECU, I'm going to try and rewire everything that's needed to make the 98 T100 ECU to work with the 97 4Runner engine. If that doesnt work, or if its just too much, I'll go ahead and buy a 97 T100 engine harness with a 97 T100 ECU and try to wire those. Hopefully, the 2nd option wont be needed. If neither of those work, I guess I'll have to save up for a manual and sell the just-rebuilt auto tranny.

Any interested in helping me with the diagrams? UKRunner? fallman? anyone? I'm even willing to PAY....
Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 PM

bringing it back to life!

so i haven't tried to start my truck yet because I haven't installed my dipsstick yet and some other tidbits like getting the starter back in yadda yadda yadda..

MY QUESTION IS THIS:
I have a 2000 Tacoma (not sure of production date, lame) donor engine, harness and ECU. The recipient was my 1991 4Runner. The ONLY speed sensor wire I have hooked up is SP1 that went to the 3.0 ECU to SP1 of the 3.4 ECU. Is that the kinda halfway working that you all were talking about? Or do I need to hook up other wires to the computer to make it halfway work?
SP2+ and SP2- from the 3.4 ecu to speed sensor are just lying about with no sensor plugged into them.

side note, my 91 3.0 has a SP2 coming from the ECT solenoid. What do I wire that to?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 PM

oh, and what about this? http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=30862.0

UKRunner- have you made any of the converters yet or was there no return on it? I am interested, as I would like to keep my auto trans til it goes out.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 PM

kcorpetti,
any luck on the diagrams? I can make you a repin chart. or if you ship your harnesses to the shop (California, United States) I can repin them for you
Let me know
Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 AM

does any one know if the 6 speed 2nd gen trans has a compatiblbe bell housing with 3.4 ,,

Originally Posted by cjsgarage
oh, and what about this? http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=30862.0

UKRunner- have you made any of the converters yet or was there no return on it? I am interested, as I would like to keep my auto trans til it goes out.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cjsgarage Yes what you have done should work you will still throw a code but it will drive.

bwill808 i dont know of a 6 speed in the trucks until 5th gen and 4runners till 4th Gen.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And back from the 6 month grave... Did you get it running (and shifting) yet? I am just about to start my swap too, using stock a340h, so I'm interested too see how you did with the wiring. Seems easy enough with good EWDs.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:59 PM

I haven't got mine running yet, as the Check Engine Light is an issue for me.

Well, that's not entirely true. I had mine running, and pulled the transmission out a few weeks ago. It was driving pretty decently, but felt sluggish. I love the shift-on-the-fly feature of the a340h, but the crawl gears leave some to be desired and the durability is questionable at 230k miles. Oh and the sluggishness. It's turning the transmission and transfer case hydraulically, a major drag. I plan to do the manual hubs conversion, but I think the best bet for best gas mileage is to go to the newer transmission with the adapter and 4cyl box.

unfortunately, I don't have the 1500$ or so needed to make that combo possible. What I do have is a 2wd transmission out of a 1996 4runner (I used the engine for a customer's 3.4 swap and got to keep the shell for my pickings). So right now, I'm disassembling my a340h and building the new style sensor into it at the base of the case much like TeamShiftPoint did. Hopefully that will cure my Check Engine Light and give me 4wd enough to get up the snow a few times this season!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thought I would weigh in here as I'm about 95% of the way through this swap.

Donor was a MY98 JDM Surf
Recipient is a 1992 JDM Surf

Much respect to Wilko and Pane and the rest of the internet, without whom this swap would have been a nightmare.

-I didn't connect the speed sensor, as per several other people I just use the one off the dash
-A340H has 4 solenoids. The 5VZ ECU can control 3 of these (1, 2, SL IIRC). The fourth solenoid allows the transfer to go into L4. It will only do this if the speed is below 19kmh and the throttle light/none. So bypassing this is a little dangerous, as it will let you select L4 whenever you want.
The bypass: Run a wire from pin 5 on the connector by the bellhousing that goes to the solenoids. I ran this to the kick panel beside the ECU.
Run another wire from the L4 pin of the other connector beside it, this goes to the transfer position switch. When in L4, this pin should be grounded.
Take a 4-pin relay. Connect one side of the switch to +12v (when ign. is on) - also connect one side of the coil. I just jumpered them together.
Connect the other side of the switch to Solenoid 4, and the other side of the coil to the L4 position switch. When you put the transfer in L4, it will ground out the coil, turning the solenoid on. Great success!

As for the A.D.D indicator switch up front, I ran 2 more wires from this up to the kick. One I connected to a ground point, the other to the wire on the body loom coming from the 4WD indicator lamp on the "combo meter".
Then I ran another wire from the H4 pin on the transfer position switch. This is short to ground whether it is in H4 or L4.
I ran this wire all the way to the ADD relay (on the brake pedal brace on my truck). I cut the wire that is the ADD relay's ground, and attached the one I ran from the H4 pin.

Note that all of this bypasses all of Toyota's various cunningness designed to stop things breaking if your transfer or diff has no oil, for example. If you put it in L4, it'll go into L4, and the front diff will engage. No questions asked.

I haven't got the ECT PWR pin hooked up but the transmission shifts fine as-is.

The only thing I haven't worked out yet is the 1/2 shift position. At the moment 1/2/D all behave exactly the same. I probably haven't connected something involved in this just right, or at all... there's still a lot of spare wires hanging out down by the ECU

I know this is an old old thread, but I hope this information helps someone along the way.
The following users liked this post:
tophr (08-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 PM

Nope, the information surely helps!
I did, after all, get my 4Runner happy again.. however, I have decided to get the adapter and 4cyl case. I want the gas mileage benefits of not having to drive a hydraulic transfer case and I get the durability of the newer transmission..
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM

kcorpetti,
any luck on the diagrams? I can make you a repin chart. or if you ship your harnesses to the shop (California, United States) I can repin them for you
Let me know

CJSgarage.

I need your help with repining. I have a 96 T100, 97 4runner motor with auto engine harness and ECU HELP
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by STJ Motorsports
kcorpetti,
Let me know

CJSgarage.

I need your help with repining. I have a 96 T100, 97 4runner motor with auto engine harness and ECU HELP
Hi. Well since I didn't have enough free time and no 2nd vehicle to use while working on the swap, my desperation made me buy a complete Conversion Harness from ORS. The rest was as simply as plug and go. I can say, as of right now, I've driven about 3000miles with my 3.4 on the stock A340H transmission and everything works perfectly: 4x2, 4x4H, 4x4L, gear stick, ECT, ADD, all warning lights, everything. So, if anyone isn't really concerned about the extra $$ for the conversion harness, ORS is a great option.

Of course, if ORS could do it, it means anyone else can. It's just a matter of correctly repining everything, because a T100 ECU will correctly run the stock auto transmission and t-case. It will even use the Engine's Coolant Temperature Sensor to make sure it doesn't upshift when the engine is cool. I have 0 complaints.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Yeah. Mike's been great to deal with on my end. I've bought some harness pins from him when our dealers couldn't get it fast enough. But if you ever need a harness, that's definitely my forte. Let me know
Old 10-11-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by STJ Motorsports
kcorpetti,
Let me know

CJSgarage.

I just realized you still may need help. Do you need the whole harness or do you have some of the harness now? Let me know what you can provide and I'll get started immediately
Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM

How do I send you photos ? I have a Iphone and can send photos to your phone. This what I have a .... 96 T100 4x4 5 Speed came with ECU and everything but the motor and harness. I bought a motor out of a 97 4Runner auto 4x4 with harness and ECU. I have all ready swap the auto to manual by taking the flex plate off and replacing with flywheel and clutch system and oil pan swap, installed and bolted up. But the damn wiring.

Quick Reply: FYI: 5VZ-FE V6 works fine with the auto A340H