3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

95 4wd 3.0 5spd ifs to 3.4 starting this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm reusing the 3.0 oil pan. i was referring to the fipg and the dipstick parts. i might go to toyota for that stuff, but i was thinking about trying that website since their prices seem decent and they also have interior parts like the center console latch and recliner handle.

i'm assuming the 3.4 oil pan will bolt up to the 3.0 for storage purposes until i can find a buyer. anybody know of any reason why i wouldn't be able to do this?

thanks for posting that diagram of your evap system, elvota. i'm going to try the same thing to avoid putting that 3.4 canister in
Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by screamer76
I'm assuming the 3.4 oil pan will bolt up to the 3.0 for storage purposes until i can find a buyer. anybody know of any reason why i wouldn't be able to do this?
The 3.4 pan should bolt up to the 3.0 without issue.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you do go install the oilpan from the 3.0, make sure you tap and plug the old dipstick tube. I found that I could have driven the old dipstick guide with a dulled chisel, but I went and tried to drill a new hole for it and, well, don't ask.

And make sure you pull the oil pickup from the 3.0 and replace the one in the 3.4. You'll probably have to cut one of the legs off of it to make it fit. I did and have suffered no ill effects in 35000 kms (22000 miles) of driving. Since August...

Make sure you don't overtighten the oilpan bolts. You'll twist the damn heads off...again, don't ask.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RobD
You'll probably have to cut one of the legs off of it to make it fit. I did and have suffered no ill effects in 35000 kms (22000 miles) of driving.
What was the issue with your oil pickup? Clearance problem perhaps? Did you have to shorten it somehow?

I used the 3.0 pickup and pan without problem. Seems like if the blocks are the same, there shouldn't have been an issue.

Not saying you did something incorrectly... just looking to learn a bit here.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 PM

My 3.4 came from a 97 Tacoma and its stock pan was quite deep, making the pickup quite long. Since it wouldn't fit in my 3.0 pan, I reused the old pickup but found that the baffle under the crank of the 3.4 didn't have the right holes to line up with the mounts. So, I cut one leg off and attached it by the other. No problems.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Oh, and you shouldn't have to drill anything for your dipstick. The location has a plug in it. You should be able to drive it out with a chisel or punch and a hammer. Do not drill!!

Again, don't ask.

As for FIPG material, I used some wicked stuff recommended by my brother (auto parts guru for 30 years or so). I'll see if I can find the can and let you know what brand. Apparently, it's big in NASCAR and will seal almost anything. It works well on my enlarged dipstick hole.

Don't ask.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
Oh, and you shouldn't have to drill anything for your dipstick. The location has a plug in it. You should be able to drive it out with a chisel or punch and a hammer. Do not drill!!.
unfortunately, toyota did away with the plugged hole you're referring to in 2000 and newer models. so of course, my engine is a 2000. i was hoping for a late 99 production date thinking maybe it would still have it. well, it was manufactured in 99 but still after they stopped putting those holes there ORS makes a drill guide for 00 and newer 3.4's. it's about $45, which seems high, but i'd rather be overcautious then end up in a "don't ask" kind of situation
Old 03-28-2008, 06:15 PM

It does seem a bit high, and truth be told, I think you're probably okay drilling it without the guide, but that's just me. I'm cheap. After I inadvertently drilled mine out, I managed to repair it with some metal epoxy and FIPG material and it doesn't seem worse for wear. They seem pretty forgiving!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 PM

we do a lot of aluminum fabrication at work, so i'm thinking about just making my own guide. my concern with that is making sure the angle is right. i haven't actually pulled the pan off the 3.4 yet, so i have no idea what i'm dealing with. maybe i can just match the angle of the original? i guess i'll find out soon enough. i'm hoping by this time next week i'll be able to unwrap the engine and get to work on it. if i could just send everyone else home right now, i'd do all their jobs and mine so that i could get started on it faster
Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 PM

Matching the angle of the original should probably work.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:36 AM

hey robd, i just read your old 3.4 swap thread asking for help with the wiring. just out of curiousity, what was your solution? i think it's pretty screwed that you have to possess a u.s. billing address to access toytech diagrams.
my work buddy is having his alldata discs sent down from washington state, so i'm going to see if he's right about them having detailed wiring diagrams before i spend any money on it.
do any of you think it would be possible for me to map out and tag the 3.0 wiring by just removing the kick panel and glove compartment prior to complete disassembly? i'd like to do everything that i can possibly do while still using the vehicle for transportation, and if i could do that it would cut my down time considerably.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:23 PM

I actually got a lot of help from someone in the US that did the swap. He allowed me to PayPal him the money to get me access.

I found the Toyota techinfo diagrams to be excellent. I downloaded everything I could for the 97 Tacoma (donor engine) since I already have the factory manuals for my 91 4Runner.

What you're trying to do is match the two under dash plugs on your 3.0 equipped truck (in my case labelled IH1 and IH2) with the wiring on the 3.4 harness (labelled IK1 and IK2 on my 3.4). The goal is to find the same feature on the old plug and the new harness and splice them. Map out both the plugs and their features in two columns plus their color codes. Then try to cross-reference them. Some features on the 3.4 won't have a corresponding one on the 3.0. I'd have to find my notes on the swap to give you more info.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:27 PM

Here's a link to the FIPG material I used. Works great!

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm
Old 04-02-2008, 04:36 PM

hey, thanks for the link, robd! that's more than likely the stuff i'll use.

almost everything has been processed at work. i spent half the day cleaning up aluminum dust and shavings. that shop has never been so clean! now i just have to wait for the slowest, most undependable person i've ever worked with to do his part...

i went over the weekend and picked up my obd2 connection from the donor. i'm pretty sure that was the only thing i had forgotten. also wrote down the vin for future dealings with toyota, and the seller gave me volume 2 of the fsm's for free since he didn't need it anymore. score!

i took the starter and alternator to checker and had them bench tested. both tested good. i recieved my water pump and radiator(mine leaks), and am now waiting for the timing kit. i'm reusing the seller's clutch since it was replaced 10,000 miles ago and mic's out well within specs. i'll take the flywheel to be ground as soon as i settle on a shop and my schedule permits. new bearings for the clutch, of course.

probably this weekend i'll download the ewd's. my hope is that i'll be able to map out most of the wiring before taking out the 3.0.

still trying to develop an exact plan for the exhaust, and still trying to decide between lift or cut. i'm leaning towards the lift since my 4runner does not have any yet, but we'll see. i'm really liking some of the member results that i've seen as far as hood scoops go. any opinions, anyone? pros/cons? that's it for now

Last edited by screamer76; 04-02-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Remember to save the throwout bearing from your 3.0 to use with the 3.4 clutch. It really isn't that hard to do. One thing you'll gain from all of this is an intricate knowledge of your truck. That might be good or bad!

Anyhow, this is the hood treatment I gave my 4Runner:

https://www.yotatech.com/gallery/sho....php?photo=362

It's an AutoVent Shade one, but I didn't pay anywhere near this much:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...002538/c-10101

It pays to have a brother who works for an auto parts store. But check eBay. There are tons of scoops from $10 and up.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:04 PM

that's a great looking scoop, robd! did you have it painted to match your
4runner? kind of hard to tell from the pictures. is it fastened on with tape?

i got your pm; thanks. hopefully everything will go smoothly, but there will undoubtedly be trouble somewhere along the way. i'm trying to stay focused on individual aspects of the swap to avoid feeling overwhelmed. the wiring makes me nervous, but all i need to make me feel better is to look at my wiring harness compared to elvota's poor guy!
Old 04-05-2008, 01:22 PM

can anyone tell me which ewd's i need? so far i've got engine control, starting and ignition, connector list, overall ewd. do i need ones like the back-up light circuit?

Last edited by screamer76; 04-05-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:50 PM

that's a great looking scoop, robd! did you have it painted to match your
4runner? kind of hard to tell from the pictures. is it fastened on with tape?
Not yet. It's black and my 4Runner is dark gray. I'm going to be replacing the front fenders with fiberglass parts and patching the rear quarter panels with metal from www.toyotafiberglass.com then repainting the whole truck black with Interlux paint. That's the plan for this year's Toyota project. That and installing A/C. And maybe an e-locker in the rear.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:51 PM

can anyone tell me which ewd's i need? so far i've got engine control, starting and ignition, connector list, overall ewd. do i need ones like the back-up light circuit?
There should be one named overalle or something similar. Download everything you can. Might as well, since it's only $10.

And the wiring was the biggest thing for me, too. You'll be okay. More than once I sat there and asked myself what I had gotten myself into, but in the end, I still get a kick out of driving the thing...

Last edited by RobD; 04-05-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:20 PM

well, it's a good thing i took the dash plugs from the donor vehicle. i was comparing the dash side of ik2 with the ewd for a 2000 tacoma and noticed that they weren't the same. so i went back to TIS and looked up ewd's for 99 tacoma's since that's the production year for my engine. they looked the same as the ones i already had. then i tried 2001 tacoma ewd's and found a match. so i guess i'm going to have to download the entire set of ewd's for 2001 and for 1999 just to be sure. and until i come across another problem i'll assume i should use the 2001 ewd's...???

Last edited by screamer76; 04-05-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 4wd 3.0 5spd ifs to 3.4 starting this weekend