3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap with high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap with high mileage

I'm planning on doing a engine swap on my 93 Toyota pickup and a buddy of mine is going to do it for me he already has an engine for me that has 180k miles. Should I go with that engine or should I get one on eBay that is a JDM Engine with about 50k miles? Only reason I'm not sure it's because if I get the JDM Engine and it's not good I don't want to spend another 200 to ship it back
Old 11-14-2016, 07:48 AM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
If possible spend the time to just do a compression and leakdown test on the 180k engine, if that comes back looking good, you are probably just fine going with that. Plus, is the engine from your friend going to come with all of the accessories? From what I have seen with the JDM engines they come with very little.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by mbomberz1
If possible spend the time to just do a compression and leakdown test on the 180k engine, if that comes back looking good, you are probably just fine going with that. Plus, is the engine from your friend going to come with all of the accessories? From what I have seen with the JDM engines they come with very little.
yea hes going to replace all the gaskets and seal it up.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Flave
I'm planning on doing a engine swap on my 93 Toyota pickup and a buddy of mine is going to do it for me he already has an engine for me that has 180k miles. Should I go with that engine or should I get one on eBay that is a JDM Engine with about 50k miles? Only reason I'm not sure it's because if I get the JDM Engine and it's not good I don't want to spend another 200 to ship it back
I'm not 100% on this, but I've heard the engine harness on the JDM motors are on the drivers side vs the US motors on the passenger side. That'll make running the harness a bit harder since you'll have to extend all of the cables to reach. Somebody please let me know if that isn't true.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Most of the JDM engines are from Toyota HiAce vans. Literally everything except the long block is different. If you're doing a 3.4 swap I cannot discourage a JDM purchase enough, unless you plan on purchasing a complete swap from a separate rig for all the USDM parts you will need. 180k is NOTHING for a 3.4, I sell swaps with 260k plus on them. But the key is finding someone who will give you everything; ECU, Harness, Alternator, Starter, PS Pump, AC pump, brackets, Evap box, intake box, ignitor, body side plug cuts, OBDII port, crossover, downpipe (with cat is best) and the list goes on. You won't get ANY of that with a JDM engine that is usable.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Most of the JDM engines are from Toyota HiAce vans. Literally everything except the long block is different. If you're doing a 3.4 swap I cannot discourage a JDM purchase enough, unless you plan on purchasing a complete swap from a separate rig for all the USDM parts you will need. 180k is NOTHING for a 3.4, I sell swaps with 260k plus on them. But the key is finding someone who will give you everything; ECU, Harness, Alternator, Starter, PS Pump, AC pump, brackets, Evap box, intake box, ignitor, body side plug cuts, OBDII port, crossover, downpipe (with cat is best) and the list goes on. You won't get ANY of that with a JDM engine that is usable.
okay cool i didnt know any of that. But know i do. thanks for the help