3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.0 to 3.4 swap help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow thanks so much! Helps a lot guys. Now I know what I'm doing sorta. That's exactly what I needed!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 PM

Well I understand where the wires are on the ewd but don't know exactly where to put it in the engine to dash harness. They all just keep splicing. Not to sure. I'll search and see if someone has what each wire does posted. Or someone here? My connectors are c1 and c2. I printed everything from tis today. Thought it would help, so confusing! Thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you save electronic copies of the EWDs? (Did you save all the individual PDF files to your PC, flash drive, external hard drive, etc?) Or did you just print them out?

If you only have hard copies, go make 5-10 copies of everything, because you will be writing all over them, making notes while trying to figure out what each wire does for both the 3.0 and 3.4 engine and dash harnesses, then even more notes when trying to match similar wire functions between the 3.0 dash harness and the 3.4 engine harness.

There's really no easy way to say this, but you're going to need to spend A LOT of time going through the EWDs, over and over and over again, until you could basically re-draw them from memory. You may find it useful to build a separate spread sheet for the 3.0 and 3.4 engine control and identify each connection that goes between the engine and dash harnesses (making a note of what each wire is connected to on the engine side and on the dash side). Then, when that's done, start a 3rd spread sheet that will document your conversion harness, and using the 1st 2 spread sheets, for each of the engine to dash connectors for both the 3.0 and 3.4 match similar functions. Its at this point that you can start to see what connections are and are not needed; most of the connections line up fairly easily (like the +B and BATT lines) while others will take a bit of head scratching.

Your C1 and C2 connectors, are those on the 3.0 or 3.4 harness? And most of the splices you're referring to are probably grounds or +12V.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Ok ill start seeing whT I can do. A lot of work. Already spent about 8 hours yexterday and got almost no whete. The c1 and c2 are my 3.0 dash plugs on the truck. And I'm lookin through these and many wires look like they go from the dash harness on the truck straight to the ecu plugs e-5 and e-6. Also I'm not sure what the ik2 plug is? And ik6. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 PM

Ok well I got ql
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 PM

Ok well I got most the wiring figured out.....maybe. I just need lots of those metal pins on the end of the wires then go into the back of the connecters. Any ideas where to get them or has to be Toyota dealer?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM

Well I wired everything up. Been doin only that for past 5 days constant. I'm crankin, getting fuel, but no spark. Ignitor grounded good. I just don't know what is wrong. Any help?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Well got fuel. An assuming I have spark because it fires with starting fluid but doesn't start on its on. Don't know what's wrong. Done for today. Frusturating.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Please if anyone has any ideas let mw know. I hear the fuel pump, made sure +b wire, batt constant, and ign2 are all hooked with power. Will fire with starting fluid but that's it. So Im thinkin injectors not workin right or spark is not good enough to ignite gas? Just stuck now. Keep going over and over wires, all in right place it seems according to both ewds. Also efi relay make 3 loud clicks when first turn ignition on. Normal?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
If you're getting fire with starting fluid, then you're not getting gas. Either the COR isn't wired right, or you're missing grounds to the ecu. Have you hooked up your obd2 port yet?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM

No I havnt hooked the obd up yet. Make a difference
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 PM

Could be grounds. I had some from ecu I didn't know for sure. Grounds all over. E02 e03 e05 and I have one wire from the truck body harness that's for ecu ground but don't know where to put it
Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Ok well I hot-wired the fuel pump and still no start, it only tries to start with starting fluid. Otherwise nothing. It's like my injectors are not putting in fuel. Any help apprieciated, back on it tomorrow. Possibly my efi relay? I can hear it clicking tho.... So batt has power, switched 12v got power, COR hooked up right, only hear the pump if I hotwire it. IGN2 is hooked up to the body harness and has power. Any wires missing to start?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a section in the FSM for engine diagnostics with a flow chart of things to check based on symptoms. It goes so far as to tell you what voltage ranges you should have at all the various components (like 12V at one pin of each of the injector connectors) and in what conditions (ignition turned to "on," or turned to "start," or with engine idling, etc).

I would follow that first, make sure all the components are getting the correct signals and if not, then start tracing back until you find the problem.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a white with a blue stripe wire that powers just about everything under the hood. SHould be hooked to the white/red wire coming from you existing EFI relay.

This would be the first thing I would check.

Second would be the MAF and the pins for and make sure that are tight and then ohm them out to the ECM
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 PM

Ok thanks you. Ill check out what you guys said.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:16 PM

Well I checked that wire from the ecu and it is all hooked up right. My injectors,coils,cam/crank sensors. All have power but my maf doesn't. I rechecked the pins and looked ok. But might be because I repinneed it for a 2001 maf, that's what I have tho. The red/ white coming out of the maf has no power. Only the two terminals towards the middle do. 4.5 volts. Also if maf was not getting power it wouldn't even attemp to start? Any way to bypass to see if its the problem?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:15 PM

Ok well I think my maf has power now. Everything I check seems fine! Did some wiring besides just the stuff to fire it. Ceck engine light works, 4wd and reverse. I don't know about the tach tho because it won't start. On the 01 ecu I have 2 terminals Im not positive where they go, and some grounds!! There are so many. The 2 are MREL i think. Just goes to the efi relay. And IGSW. it's combined with the ignition stuff. The E1 Ground can I just come out of the ecu and straight ground it? It is exactly like no spark or no fuel. But I hotwire the fuel pump it has pressure to the injectors. Also it will do quick rumbles with starting fluid. Don't know where to go from here! Any advice as to what to check or where to put terminal? Or what terminals to make sure are hot or grounded? Thanks you
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Also dntsdad, I don't see and white/blue wire from the harness. Unless it's another color combo, could be my problem. Is it another wire besides the red and black IGN2?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 PM

Also I hear the fuel pump, but I don't smell any gas at all. If I wasn't getting spark but getting fuel I would smell it. And if I was getting spark and fuel it would start. One is missing. I checked and it seems I have spark.

Quick Reply: 3.0 to 3.4 swap help