3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

1990 2dr 4runner swap started today

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 2dr 4runner swap started today

I purchased this 4runner thursday for $1500 in Los Angeles. It has alot of reciepts showing a new bottom end a couple of years ago, and regular maintenance. It has 190k miles on the car, and It ran great. Unfortunately I only drove it around the block before purchasing it. The next day, I drove it to work and it started leaking water from the rear of the drivers side head. So much for a good deal.
Needless to say I started my 3.4 conversion today. The wiring is freaking me out a little, I live in Callfiornia, and the smog referee said check engine lights better be working properly or it wont pass.
Attached Thumbnails 1990 2dr 4runner swap started today-1.jpg   1990 2dr 4runner swap started today-mail.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A trouble code ( or CEL - check Engine light) is an automatic fail for any reason.

Saying that however, my ref never plugged in a scanner to my OBD2 port. Never even asked where it was so there would be no way that he would have know if I had a CEL or not. My OBD2 port is tucked away behind the glove box.

I could have removed the bulb and he would have never known, but I had no CEL's.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn that rig is nice and rust free! Want to trade bodies

Be sure to keep up the progress your making. I want to see how this turns out.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
A trouble code ( or CEL - check Engine light) is an automatic fail for any reason.

Saying that however, my ref never plugged in a scanner to my OBD2 port. Never even asked where it was so there would be no way that he would have know if I had a CEL or not. My OBD2 port is tucked away behind the glove box.

I could have removed the bulb and he would have never known, but I had no CEL's.
If you're refering to your 92'....you dont have an OBD2 port....OBD1....and if I remember correctly its in the engine bay...under the hood.
It was mandated that all vehicle manufactures go to OBD2 for new vehicle year 96'....

Not trying to blast and no disrespect...just inform correctly.

-Ted
Old 04-11-2010, 04:30 PM

I bought a 3.4 today with 79k miles for $300.00 off of craig list. It came out of a 4wd taco that was wrecked. The oil pan,and timing cover is broke,and it is missing the throttle body. I found another complete engine for $400.00 with a blown head gasket, including the harness and ECU. I'm going to try and pick it up next weekend.
I emailed DR. Tweak from Phoenix tunining and he said he would build me a harness for $600. I dont really have that kind of money ,so i will probably try it myself. (or work some overtime).
Attached Thumbnails 1990 2dr 4runner swap started today-2.jpg   1990 2dr 4runner swap started today-3.jpg   1990 2dr 4runner swap started today-4.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by snowshredder555
If you're refering to your 92'....you dont have an OBD2 port....OBD1....and if I remember correctly its in the engine bay...under the hood.
It was mandated that all vehicle manufactures go to OBD2 for new vehicle year 96'....

-Ted
Hmmmm. I dont have an OBD2 port?

Actually I do, and nothing that I posted was misinformation.

2drunner: you were not going to use the ripped up oil pan anyway so no loss there. Sound like you can make one viable motor from the two.

Wiring is tough, but certainly try it on your own. There are enough people here to help you if you get stuck. Start reading your diagrams and trying to sort out circuit functions and such now in your spare time.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 PM

-Ted
Check his signature, he has a 3.4 swapped in the 2nd gen, therefore, OBD II.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

-Ted
Yes, he does.

Not trying to blast and disrespect...oh, to heck with it. I just want to jump on the bandwagon.

If you had followed his posts on going through the hoops, you would know that he's one of the better sources of info on swapping in Cali.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2drunner
I emailed DR. Tweak from Phoenix tunining and he said he would build me a harness for $600. I dont really have that kind of money ,so i will probably try it myself. (or work some overtime).
The harness really isn't that bad. It was what psyched me out the most, but in the end, all you're really doing is splicing some wires into the body harness to run things like the gauges and stuff.

Go to the Toyota Techinfo website, pay the $15 or so per day, and download every single wiring diagram for both vehicles. Make a chart of the two plugs under your dash and find the same functions on the engine harness. Cross-reference the functions of each wire and badda-bing, you're on your way.

Oh, and don't forget the hours of soldering/shrink-wrapping you have coming up
Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 AM

The wiring is what had me worried too, but it really isn't not all that difficult, its just a lot of reading, checking, re-reading, and re-checking and then some splicing and soldering like RobD said.

Just make sure that you know what year computer and harness you are working with for the 3.4. It will make a difference in the wire colors and pin locations.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:45 AM

I have an opportunity to purchase a harness and and ECU for a good deal, but it came of a automatic 3.4. Can I make this work? Thanks for all of the help, I'm feeling a little more at ease.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Good luck with the swap, love the 2 door bodies! Mine looks basically the same except different color
Old 04-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2drunner
I have an opportunity to purchase a harness and and ECU for a good deal, but it came of a automatic 3.4. Can I make this work? Thanks for all of the help, I'm feeling a little more at ease.

man if you were buying that other complete motor with the ECM and harness with the blown headgasket I would grab that. Then you have the ecm and harness and tons of extra parts. You could keep them for spares or make some cash back parting it out. You need a throttle body anyway right?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
man if you were buying that other complete motor with the ECM and harness with the blown headgasket I would grab that. Then you have the ecm and harness and tons of extra parts. You could keep them for spares or make some cash back parting it out. You need a throttle body anyway right?
Ya but I cant get this guy to call me back. I found a couple of others, but they are all automatics. Can I make an auto harness and ecu work on a standard trans?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM

2d, I have just finished this swap (97 auto computer and harness to 93/94 manual) and yes you can do it. I have only had mine running for a few days, but I haven't seen any problems yet. Please keep in mind that I do not yet have my OBD2 plug wired, so I don't know what codes I may get but I will post them up as soon as I find out. PM me your e-mail address and I may be able to help out.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ride4Fun
2d, I have just finished this swap (97 auto computer and harness to 93/94 manual) and yes you can do it. I have only had mine running for a few days, but I haven't seen any problems yet. Please keep in mind that I do not yet have my OBD2 plug wired, so I don't know what codes I may get but I will post them up as soon as I find out. PM me your e-mail address and I may be able to help out.
You guys rock...I love this site
Old 04-17-2010, 07:01 AM

Ride4Fun:
Looking forward to hearing how your swap goes with using the auto computer with the manual setup. Please post back as you your results and any trouble codes that you may encounter.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Update

I got my engine and trans pulled this week. Turns out the water pump went bad, so It blew a head gasket. Everthing was hard to get out because it got so hot. I got a great deal on a steam cleaner last week, and it works great . I cleaned the heck out of this 4runner. I learned something about steam cleaners too. You cant stop in the middle of cleaning, and answer the phone. This thing started making alot of noise, shaking and rattling, and then.....blew the f@ck up like a bomb. Just my luck. Luckaily It only blew off a brass fitting (in 100 pieces). I ordered a new one, and it was only $50.00 . I felt a little lucky because of the explosion was so big.
Anyways, I found a 2004 Tundra wrecked in Los Angeles for $1200. The front end is intact and it only has 45k miles. If the guy doesn't back out I'll pick it up Monday. Its an automatic.
Attached Thumbnails 1990 2dr 4runner swap started today-1.jpg   1990 2dr 4runner swap started today-2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 06:04 PM

Well I got the doner truck today. It looks a little different than the pictures he sent me, but I still bought it for $1050. I pulled the harness out of my 4runner, and started on the Tundra harness removal. I'm selling the other 3.4 for what I bought it for $300, if anyone wants it.
Attached Thumbnails 1990 2dr 4runner swap started today-6.jpg   1990 2dr 4runner swap started today-5.jpg   1990 2dr 4runner swap started today-7.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 AM

Selling everything for $3000

I have 2 complete 3.4 engines, 3.0 and 3.4 harness,a 2004 Tundra for parts, and a clean 1990 2dr 4runner. I hate to do this , but Im restoring an old ford and I'm running out of money. lawdog66@verizon.net 760-985-4751

Quick Reply: 1990 2dr 4runner swap started today