Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

What's the best fuel injector cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best fuel injector cleaner?

Alright guys, I'm sure everyone has their preferance for fuel injector cleaner. I want to know what the best stuff "that I can buy in a bottle and put in my gas tank" is.

I'm getting some pinging with regular gas and my timing sitting a little low right now. So I figured maybe it was time again for some injector cleaner.

BTW, I tried searching.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Nic

It seems that several here have suggested BG 44K. I think I read it here. The search is not getting the old posts, so I'm not positive on that.

I just recently ordered 4 bottles from eBay. $15.00 per bottle-shipping is free. It's a little cheaper per bottle if you buy more. I was reluctant to pay that much for something I really don't know much about, but I'm going to give it a try.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
Alright guys, I'm sure everyone has their preferance for fuel injector cleaner. I want to know what the best stuff "that I can buy in a bottle and put in my gas tank" is.

I'm getting some pinging with regular gas and my timing sitting a little low right now. So I figured maybe it was time again for some injector cleaner.

BTW, I tried searching.

Thanks for the help.

BG Products are highly rated.

http://www.bgprod.com/
Old 02-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Post 2 for BG...

Well that's 2 for BG. Nic, post in this thread after you use the stuff so that others can see how well it works. I think I'll look into getting some. Do they carry it at any stores or is it something you have to buy online?

Thanks for the info. Anyone else?

EDIT: That link had another link to find shops that sell BG products. I found one that's pretty close to me. Any idea what the shelf price is?

Last edited by AgRunner06; 02-17-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Nic

From what I read here and elsewhere, some say places locally may carry it-like car dealers. However, you aren't going to find it places like Autozone. At $15.00 a bottle with free shipping, plus no tax, and no running around all over town to find a bottle, I figured it would be best to just order it. I should have it here before the weekend.

Once I try it out, I'll let you know what I think. My truck runs well now, so I don't know if I will be able to tell much difference. My car (84 Camry) may show some noticeable signs of improvement though.

Added: By the way, I notice you are in Texas. The fellow that sells it on eBay is in Texas. So, if you order from him, it shouldn't take too long for you to get it. The down side is you have to pay state taxes though.

Last edited by Nic; 02-18-2004 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:08 AM

BG and the concentrated Chevron Techron both are reliable products.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:37 AM
Contributing Member

I'll have to look into getting some of that BG stuff. Does anyone know of any online vendor that'll have it?

I've used the Techron stuff but I can't really say that I've noticed that much of a difference...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

I've used BG44k for almost 10 years now and it's great stuff;I usually get it from a dealership for $18 since PepBoys charges over $20 a can.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Im a BIG fan of Redline SI1

I have 105k on the Runner and have never had a fuel related concern..a senior toyota tech (for what its worth) told me that my engine runs smother at idle than engines he has seen that have been very well taken care of..I believe-along with regular scheduled maintanece- that the Redline has kept things clean and running well.

Last edited by Nobody; 02-18-2004 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

I put that stuff in my dad's 85 Dodge Van without telling him and he called me 2 days later to ask what I'd done to it - it was running so much smoother than usual
Old 02-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

I've used the Chevron Techron concentrate before and like Tacoma Dude didn't really notice that much of a difference...maybe a slight improvement in gas mileage but not really any overall performance increase. I just ran some threw about 500-600 miles ago so I won't have to use any for a while. I will probably try and find some BG to use that way I can compare it to the Chevron Techron stuff.

Good luck Ag!!

Fink
Old 02-18-2004, 01:11 PM

I second the use of the BG F/I cleaner. I had my best results though by having an total fuel system cleaning (they called it engine clean...motor scrub, can't remember) performed by my local F/I shop. No more stumble/hesitate off idle and noticable set-of-the-pants power increase plus it pulled longer on top. It ran about $100 though, but I bet you'd spend twice that on bottle formulas to achieve the same results.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Nic

I would figure that getting it done in the shop would perhaps be better, but as you said more expensive. $100.00 is really not that bad though if the cleaning was done right. A few cans of premium fuel system cleaner adds up real quick. The problem is, I don't trust very many shops to work on my vehicles. I'm just that way. Maybe I shouldn't be.

Since my truck appears to be running pretty good now, I'm going to try a can of the BG 44K stuff and see what happens. I've already changed the #*%! hard to get to fuel filter last week. That was probably the best thing I could have done for my fuel system.

I may even try another can on the second tank since I have high miles. I will be out just under $30.00 using two cans.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Faded
I second the use of the BG F/I cleaner. I had my best results though by having an total fuel system cleaning (they called it engine clean...motor scrub, can't remember) performed by my local F/I shop. No more stumble/hesitate off idle and noticable set-of-the-pants power increase plus it pulled longer on top. It ran about $100 though, but I bet you'd spend twice that on bottle formulas to achieve the same results.
What exactly did they do? My truck is running pretty good now but just in case something happens in the future I'd like to know..

Fink
Old 02-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Motorvac

I had the Motorvac done on my 4runner but I don't think they did it right. I probably got screwed out of $100. It made a slight difference but not what I was looking for. I think I may pick up some of that BG stuff.

Does anyone else have any experience with the Redline?

Old 02-18-2004, 07:57 PM

I ahve used BG 44K in all of my vehicles, and it works great. It costs more than most FI cleaners but is well worth it. I also recently put BG oils in my tranny & diffs, so far so good.

Jeff
Old 02-19-2004, 04:09 AM

I've had quite good luck with the Berryman's line of cleaners.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
I had the Motorvac done on my 4runner
Fink,

I had the motorvac done as well. No offense to AgRunner but I could really notice/feel a difference.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

I didn't have the Motorvac done but I did have some kind of service done...they said what they do is hook up this pressurized thingymadgigger and wait for the engine to cut-out and that was that. I definately noticed a difference from that...not sure if thats the same thing or not.

Fink

ADDED: It would be cool to have a post on which kind of injector cleaner was the best...unless there's one that hasn't been reloaded on the server yet.

Last edited by Fink; 02-20-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

After reading this post I went out to buy some,(B G)No luck at Advance auto,pep boys autozone,carquest,frank's autosupermarket. I can find chevron and redline easily.Oh I called Pep boys,said they never heard of it,but you know how it goes when you call and talk to those morons.So any online vendors before I check the dealer?

Last edited by 86toyota; 02-20-2004 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: What's the best fuel injector cleaner?