Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Turn signals not working... Relay location?

Old 06-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signals not working... Relay location?

Alright, I'm fed up. I've searched and searched, read both the Chiltons and Haynes manuals I have, and I still cannot figure out where the turn signal relay is on my 85 truck.

I have narrowed it down to a few plugs below the fuse box on the driver's side kick panel. One is a large green thing with a cap that appears like it can be removed, then there are two other silver-topped relays... can anyone tell me which one is which here? Or maybe post a picture of the fuse box diagram?

Also... unrelated, but another frustrating electrical problem I"m having... my brake lights work great when the headlights are OFF, but when I turn the headlights on, the tail lights come on fine, but when I Press on the brakes, the passenger side light gets REALLY bright, and the driver's side actually goes dim. What's going on with that?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:55 PM

Never mind, I figured it out... it's the big green box, and apparently I have a bad hazard switch... the way it's wired the blinkers don't work when the hazard switch is on, and my hazard switch was on but the hazards don't flash. Turned that off and it works now.

Still scratching my head over the brake light thing...
Old 06-17-2005, 08:56 AM

Look for cheesy trailer wiring or cooked trailer light converter boxes for starters. Those are the singles largest source of operational light problems. Next go hunting for bad grounds. Use alligator clips and t-pins to make new grounds for testing. A test light would be an essential tool here.