Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Newbie-Help! Perfomance Problem

Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie-Help! Perfomance Problem

Hi folks,
New guy with growing performance problem. '98, 2.7L, 4cyl, 5 spd, 130,000 miles, daily driver. Recently experiencing loss of power, hesitation when I start to accel, speed up, esp. low rpm. Real bad up to 2,000 rpm, then improves, at highway speed its harder to notice.

It bucks a little and feels like a miss. If I try, I can get it to give me a little back fire. I'm thinking the obvious plugs, wires, fuel filter, stuff. But, I heard of similar complaints that turned out to be a manifold, Tb/sensor. Hoses may be leaking. What should I be looking for and/or prepared to replace?

When I start up in the a.m. no problem. When I put it in gear and drop the hammer, it hesitates, 'round the corner in 2nd and hit the gas and it bogs down, and it improves with higher rpm's, and has not stalled, yet. I have to feather it or down shift or it will bog and hesitate. Only tried injector clearer, no help.

I can do some stuff myself... But if I have to I'll consult a pro.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was having somewhat similar problems...really sluggish acceleration (flooring it and the rpm's not doing a thing), back fire and then it would improve at higher rpm's once it got there. when it would transfer from being sluggish to accelerating, it acted like it had a super-charger on it. it would just bolt.
check your egr valve, tps, charcoal canister, throttle body (probably good idea to clean it) and maybe your air filter as well.
Click Here and sift thru the threads and see if you can find any other comments or suggestions as theres probably a ton.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by scampman
Hi folks,
New guy with growing performance problem. '98, 2.7L, 4cyl, 5 spd, 130,000 miles, daily driver. Recently experiencing loss of power, hesitation when I start to accel, speed up, esp. low rpm. Real bad up to 2,000 rpm, then improves, at highway speed its harder to notice.

It bucks a little and feels like a miss. If I try, I can get it to give me a little back fire. I'm thinking the obvious plugs, wires, fuel filter, stuff. But, I heard of similar complaints that turned out to be a manifold, Tb/sensor. Hoses may be leaking. What should I be looking for and/or prepared to replace?

When I start up in the a.m. no problem. When I put it in gear and drop the hammer, it hesitates, 'round the corner in 2nd and hit the gas and it bogs down, and it improves with higher rpm's, and has not stalled, yet. I have to feather it or down shift or it will bog and hesitate. Only tried injector clearer, no help.

I can do some stuff myself... But if I have to I'll consult a pro.
Any advice would be appreciated.
A buddy of mine in Northern CA has a 2002 tacoma with the 2.7 Your symptoms sound similar, he had a burnt valve. IMHO
Old 06-27-2005, 07:12 PM

I read many previous posts with similar issues, seems it could be various valves, sensors or an ignition problem, TB, fuel flow, and so on...

If I hook up at Autozone, would it pop a code if no dash lights are on now?