Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

How much oil in 3.4's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElwayLite
You obviously didnt pay attention to the whole "slightly" in my post. Everyone that has any engine knowledge knows overfilling is bad, but thats extreme overfilling. If you think running a 5.5 quart system at 5 quarts is any better or worse than running 6 quarts you're wrong, but once again this is one of those posts where you've been wrenching all your life and any overfill is bad. How about the guys that run courses in performance cars and SLIGHTLY overfill to keep constant oil flow, you think they blow out seals regularly, no. The manual says 5.5 quarts but its wrong, mine takes exactly 5.8-5.9 to reach full on the disptick therefore it gets the full 6. Most guys on bob is the oil guy running a 3.4 fill 6, but i guess since you have all those links stating overfilling is bad, we just dont know what we are talking about. :rolleyes:
And you obviously have some sort of chip on your shoulder. Had you actually bothered to read and comprehend the entire thread, you would have seen that I was the one advocating going by the dipstick, not the manual. But, perhaps that was too long ago for you to remember.

The fact of matter is that since you didn't specify what your magical definition of "slightly" was, so I was posting to correct any ideas that those with less knowledge might get about running "extra". I am sure that you are a regular on Bobistheoilguy and have forgotten more than most of us will ever know about engines and oil. But, since your comprehension is so poor, I will just ask you to re-read the thread slowly and show me where I made any judgement about whether "running a 5.5 quart system at 5 quarts is any better or worse than running 6 quarts". For most people, the dipstick is an adequate measurement of what is needed. However, I stand by my opinion that for the average person who doesn't know any better, it is better to err on the side of a bit low than a bit over when it comes to oil. Of course this conversation has nothing to do with "perfomance cars", it was in reference to the Toyota 3.4 engine, which hardly anyone would call a good choice for a "performance" vehicle, so I am guessing that you just added that to make yourself look smart.

Don't bother replying, I won't see it. Welcome to my ignore list.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
Damn you beat me to it

Duckman! Where ya been? Come play with us in Tahuya next month!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by WATRD
Duckman! Where ya been? Come play with us in Tahuya next month!

Well Mostly family stuff... my mini-me is taking up some time...

And work the other time... and I bout a house, so im poor. Damn houses... Had to move further north just to afford it...

Anyways... Yea Id love to come... Ill pencil myself in and see if the wifey will let me out on parole.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

heheheh I know the busy feeling

We would love to have you. It's been a while.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Now if only Mobil1 came in 6 quart containers )
Old 11-09-2004, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Yep same here, I just throw in all 6 quarts.
That's what I did with mine before I added the remote filter and it was slight bit overfull. I put the whole 6 in though. The engine isn't going to care about being a little over...
Old 11-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

I've always thrown in a full 6 quarts and never had any problems, the amount it gets overfilled isn't enough to worry about, in my case I'd rather be a bit overfilled then being a bit underfilled, since the pick-up in the oil pan is at the front of the engine, so making those really steep climbs doesn't affect my oil pressure.