Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Cracked Head or Blown Head Gasket?

Old 06-14-2005, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Head or Blown Head Gasket?

Here's the deal:

86 4wd 22R PU 186XXX miles

Overheated real bad, changed thermostat, checked waterpump, and got new radiator.

Was holding temp great, but was missing. While running, started pulling wires to see which cylinder was missing (not sure number, but closest to firewall). Get new plugs and see that the one in question was full of carbon build-up and wet. Turn it over and still missing. Pull wire and it's gettin arc, so wire's good. Pull plug and turn over and EXPLOSION of water/collant through plug socket.

Sooooo.... Whadoya think? Blown head gasket or cracked head? Either way it sucks real bad. I am not going to do the work myself, I just don't have the time or the right tools and experience for the timing chain, but what can I expect from a mechanic? Also while we're in there any suggestions for a new cam to get a little more performance out of this engine.

Thanks for any help/input,
-Steven
Old 06-14-2005, 04:40 AM

By the way, I was loosing coolant really bad, now I know why. The truck actually still runs, but I'm not driving it cause I'm skeered I'll pop that piston when that valve decides to stick, and because of my luck it would

-Steven
Old 06-14-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just curious, which plug was carboned up? #3 and #4(or both) are really common for the head gasket to blow on.

if you're overheating, that could be a reason for your problems. 9 times out of 10, overheating will kill a head gasket or crack a block or head. the other 1 time, it's due to a poor gasket surface or damaged gasket.

i blew my head gasket last wednesday, but got lucky since it was only blowing exhaust through the coolant. pulled all the plugs and they looked good, except for #4 -- lots of carbon gunk. ended up the fire ring looked like it had hit an irregularity in the head and expanded out into the cylinder, and it had cracked.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
just curious, which plug was carboned up? #3 and #4(or both) are really common for the head gasket to blow on.
#4 was really carboned up and wet with lots of "gunk" inside (swabbed with a Q-Tip) and that's the one that when plug pulled out blew water through.

if you're overheating, that could be a reason for your problems. 9 times out of 10, overheating will kill a head gasket or crack a block or head. the other 1 time, it's due to a poor gasket surface or damaged gasket.
I haven't taken anything apart yet, but am really really hoping it's just the head gasket.

i blew my head gasket last wednesday, but got lucky since it was only blowing exhaust through the coolant. pulled all the plugs and they looked good, except for #4 -- lots of carbon gunk. ended up the fire ring looked like it had hit an irregularity in the head and expanded out into the cylinder, and it had cracked.

What's your prognosis? New head?

-Steven
Old 06-14-2005, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i just took it into the machine shop to get it cleaned up, mainly for peace of mind. i had the block milled when i rebuilt the engine, but never touched the head(other than replacing valve stem seals).

if it blows again i'm going to probably build a late 22R engine. hopefully it won't come to that though
Old 06-14-2005, 09:49 AM

After talking with a guy from engnbldr.com he pretty much assured me that all my problem stems from a blown head gasket and he seriously doubts that I've cracked the head or done any serious damage. Apparently pretty common with 100k + 22r engines. I guess I'll know more once the head is out and taken to the machine shop. I'm also going to upgrade my cam while we're in there.

-Steven