Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

New to Engine Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Engine Swaps

I am really new to all this, but does anyone else have any issue putting a Chevy engine in a Toyota? It just seems wrong to me.

Anyhow, I am also looking for a good swap for my stock 86 22r w/manual trans. I was looking at the 3rz, or a 22RET? Any thoughts? I'd like to stay with a Toyota engine.

With these swaps, is it necessary to upgrade the clutch, and trans to handle the added power?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:12 AM

personally if your thinking about doing a chevy engine at all you might consider doing the 1uz-fe swap from a lexus ls400. it has great power, its toyota and you can find TONNES of write-ups on what you need to do the swap.

I am pretty sure you have to go to an HD clutch when you do the swaps. I always use automatics when I switch motors since it takes the shock out of the system.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM

97 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 liter to 350 chevy

I was just wondering how hard it actually is to put a chevy motor in a toyota. I'm only 19 and I really want the ability to go where chevy's go and I can't do that because my toyota doesn't have the power to turn tires bigger than 33s.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:29 PM

well if you don't swap the axles and get super strong diffs. The low end torque of the Chevy v8 will just break stuff with the 35s or bigger. extreme4x4 did a build with one and stated the same thing. The 2jz motor from the supra and the 1uz from the Lexus both have the power to turn big mudders fast. If you want outright torque. Go with a 7mgte or turbo 2jz and laugh at the guys that scorn imports. No matter what, axles will need big upgrades for the extra power.

Chevy motor to a Toyota
1. 3 inch body lift
2. Custom bent tubular headers
3. Transmission adaptor
4. Custom wiring or carb for fuel ( I like stand alone engine management)
5....... There is more... I just can't think of it

better options are out there for power and I would put a 1988 7mgte against a Chevy 350 any day
Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 AM

Cool swaping out 3.0 for 400 small block

Im sick of this weak 3.0 and have a nice 400 chevy small block sitting in my shop. My question is what transmission/transfer case configuration do i need for my 94 4Runner 4x4? i was told the existing auto trans would not work because of electronic shift issues when switching to a carb engine. any advice or parts recomendations would be helpful...
Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 AM

I think most people end up running the manual transmission to go with the 350/400. but if you really wanted you could put in a chevy transmission and tcase with this. the turbo700r4 would be a nice choice and is fairly economical. the newer version of this is the 4L60E. if you read up on what the transmission will take to wire up the newer 4L60E is at least easier to find (in my neck of the woods at least)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:26 PM

Bowtie banned

If you want a GM motor, then I'm sure you'll get a GM trans, t-case blah blah blah, then of course you'll want "tons", simple solution Buy a GM truck and wheel it and stay out of the Yota forums. I like the 1UZ swap myself, I'm sure that or a similiar Toyota engine will be in my next build/upgrade. Stay true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Friends don't let friemd drive Chevys.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM

The 1uz-fe is my number choice as well. Any of the 87-90 turbo motors or 91 and up out of a supra is a close 2nd choice. My decision between the two would be solely based on displacement vs torque/ horsepower numbers.

Any of those motors in a Toyota would kick butt
Old 06-16-2012, 11:20 AM

97 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 to 350

So where abouts would I be able to order one of these import turbo ed bran new crate type motor.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:50 PM

If your talking about the 1jz or 2jz motors then I would go into google and find the pre-modified crate motors. good for up to 1000hp. I would just find a slightly beat up sc400 or ls400 Lexus so you have all the parts and do the v8 swap. Build the motor up on a stand and get more hp before dropping it in. Then sell the rest of the car to a scrap yard somewhere.

There is a video of a guy with his 95' runner 1uzfe and what looks like a 5 speed. So you see what your finished product would look like
Old 06-17-2012, 10:46 AM

would you happen to the price of such a engine if i ordered a prebuilt one of the internet
Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Your looking at 500 used to 30 grand. Mind you, the 30 grand engine has been fully altered and re-engineered for Max hp. And you can have a local shop do it for less
Old 06-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Forgot to mention. Your looking at about 5-7 grand for a deviously powerful motor with turbos. That motor will make the 400 cry
Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2big4arunner
I think most people end up running the manual transmission to go with the 350/400. but if you really wanted you could put in a chevy transmission and tcase with this. the turbo700r4 would be a nice choice and is fairly economical. the newer version of this is the 4L60E. if you read up on what the transmission will take to wire up the newer 4L60E is at least easier to find (in my neck of the woods at least)
I went with a gm 4.3 cpi 4l60e, toyota transfer case with 4.7 gears
I FREAKING LOVE IT !!

My last 4runner had a 3.0 5sp duel case with 4.7 gears in rear.

Gm 4.3 pro's
So easy to work on.
Parts are cheap and easy to find.

Con's
Lots of fab to put in
Cost's more for the swap
Gas mileage is about 14 mpg combined

There is no down side with an auto that has a lockup convertor.
It's so smooth over the rocks and feels like a stick shift down hill.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM

the torque of the V8 is what im after.considering the difference in cost is a factor as well. replacement parts that im sure to break are alot less expensive not to mention that i can find them anywhere. if you have the funds then the turbo motor is a good option.my complete build will be around 3000.00 bucks including the truck. not bad for a 400+ HP 4runner. already having my own shop, alot of parts and several rock crawler friends is for sure an advantage. also to answer the chevy hater who replied earlier that asked me to leave.... the way i see it is we do what we can with what we have to do it with. im not going to rub my chevy in your face or brag about it on here simply because that would be childish and rude considering this is a toyota forum. i really dont think its a problem to ask for advice from others who have been there. if you dont like what i post then its easy to fix...DONT READ IT....dont take offense to another mans treasure thats all im saying
Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM

james the truck looks amazing. i like the engine setup as well as the flex on the suspension. good job on the yota !!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by mechanical_mind
the torque of the V8 is what im after.considering the difference in cost is a factor as well. replacement parts that im sure to break are alot less expensive not to mention that i can find them anywhere. if you have the funds then the turbo motor is a good option.my complete build will be around 3000.00 bucks including the truck. not bad for a 400+ HP 4runner
If you have a 400+hp motor in a truck, the front and rear axles to handle said hp are gonna run you 3 grand..... Let alone the rest. the kits to adapt the motors and transmission are about a thousand dollars. I could make the 1uz that bolts up to a 340 transmission produce great reliable power and not have to Fab much at all.

With that being said, stick to what you know and got. I wouldn't Blame you for wanting that motor in the truck but a lot of drivetrain upgrades come with it. Either way, I would love to see progress on the truck.

I love the look of the crawler as well. Great job.

Inspiration = imagination + determination
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why do you want a V8? You said "more power". There really hasn't been a situation where I thought to myself man i really need more power. I have the 22RE, it has maybe 125hp. My buddy has a Suzuki Samurai that has probably 80hp. We can both do the most difficult trails at the local offroad park. It's all about gearing and traction, not power.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Thanks mechanical_mind .

Originally Posted by David Walker
I am really new to all this, but does anyone else have any issue putting a Chevy engine in a Toyota? It just seems wrong to me.

Thanks.
I hated my 3.0 so much. It just soured me on any toyota motor's for now.
I thought about the 3.4 , and that would have been cheaper in the long run.
I wanted a gm v6 . Im not going to turn this into a chevy / toyota debate.
To each his own.
But if something need's fixing . These are so easy to work on.
Do you what a pain it is to change a knock sensor on a 3.0 / 3.4 or adjust valve's ? On my gm 4.3 I can see my knock sensor , water pump , spark plug's , pcv ...... no valve adjustment . My motor had 250,000 when i pulled from the blazer and still ran great Before i rebuilt it. Generally speaking i think toyota stuff last longer but my motor is "fun to work on". I did nothing but cuss at my 3.0 just to change the spark plug's.

Not sure i would go v8 , my v6 get's me up the sierra's here at 70 mph if i want. And you dont need hp for the rock's. Although my v6 get's about the same gas mileage as a v8 so maybe next time......
Here's a few more pic's of the motor

What ever motor swap your thinking of go for it! They might cost more $ but they are so much fun!

Last edited by james92toy; 06-19-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:52 PM

I really appreciate your posts James. It shows your just another guy that is having fun in a toyota. I see what you like about the 4.3. I dont know why your gas mileage is so low (*looking at tires and trails) When you put the 4L60e in, did you have to do much to make the transfer case or floor shifter work? or did you put in a herst shifter and call it a day?

I am trying to make my older a340f transmission work more like the 340 I have in my 03' 4runner. I have been searching for a couple more days but it seems like its down to computer and torque converter. I Know I have a bunch more hp under the hood and I dont have the drive by wire on both. but man does that newer transmission shift better.

Quick Reply: New to Engine Swaps