Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

5.0L vs. 3.4L

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.0L vs. 3.4L

So I am at a cross roads on what to do with the motor in my truck. Both engines can be had for roughly the same price. I know the 5L is going to be alot more work, but is it worth that work? There are plenty more power upgrade options for the 302 and they are much cheaper. What's everyone's insight?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off- you need to be realistic about what power levels you WANT, and what your truck can handle. Sure- a 5.0 has alot more available for it, but what good is a 347 w/450 hp if it spends it's life down at 2-3K rpm all day?

Just for comparison, I dyno'd my supercharged 3.4 that has a few additional power-parts, 252 rwhp first time out, with a bad coil! I then replaced the coil, and refined the A/F ratio a bit more- bam! 306 rwhp, on a stock pulley. I went this route because there was very litte fab needed, and I didn't lose any of the rest of the vehicle's functionality- and I like OBD II diagnostics.

Either way- good luck!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, he just owned this thread up...
Old 11-04-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by 89934runr
First off- you need to be realistic about what power levels you WANT, and what your truck can handle. Sure- a 5.0 has alot more available for it, but what good is a 347 w/450 hp if it spends it's life down at 2-3K rpm all day?

Just for comparison, I dyno'd my supercharged 3.4 that has a few additional power-parts, 252 rwhp first time out, with a bad coil! I then replaced the coil, and refined the A/F ratio a bit more- bam! 306 rwhp, on a stock pulley. I went this route because there was very litte fab needed, and I didn't lose any of the rest of the vehicle's functionality- and I like OBD II diagnostics.

Either way- good luck!
I'd love to see this 305rwhp on a stock pulley on a 4x4... i think it's corrected flywheel numbers, as there is no way you can hit 300+ whp on a s/c 3.4 without MANY mods... (trdoldman is the only person to do it without nitrous) and he had a tiny pulley, water injection, headers, etc.
im not badmouthing your set up (hell i want one) but 300+rwhp just isnt going to happen with a 3.4 without many mods...
Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
theres a big difference from 300hp at the crank to 300hp at the wheels.

either way, a finely tuned s.c. engine (with perhaps an upgraded turbo) can easily attain 300hp at the crank.
_+ he did say "my supercharged 3.4 that has a few additional power-parts"

but back to the thread.
at any rate, i would consider the maintenance costs w/the 2 different engines.

long run, what will be more cost effective (considering the fuel crisis)?
im interested in this thread also. to see who/how others have done.

Last edited by idanity; 11-04-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Look into a buick 3.8L. YOu can get them factory supercharged. Its lighter than the 5.0, so you'll have better power to weight ratio. AA sells the adapters BTW
Old 11-04-2007, 04:38 PM

Both seem to be very reliable motors. The supercharged 3.4 may close the power gap on the 5L but then reliability comes into play, having to run premium ect. Also, normally domestic parts are cheaper than import.

On the other side there is the ease of installation, no need for adapter plates, new motor mounts, gauges, alternators, ect.

I dont need the 300hp, but a local guy that is running a 5L says he gets better mileage now compared to his 3.0 because the motor does not need to work as hard to push his rig. I can see that statement being true, also the V8 has the torque curve starting lower.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:39 PM

ery litte fab needed, and I didn't lose any of the rest of the vehicle's functionality- and I like OBD II diagnostics.

Either way- good luck!
The obd stuff works on Fords too. The 88-91 Ford is a stand alone computer.

Oil is going to break $100 a bbl very soon. meaning $3.40 to $3.60 a gal or therebouts depending on where you live.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:03 PM

1. I didn't mean to 'own' anything; I'm obviously biased toward the 3.4 having done my own rig that way. I also strive to keep things lighter when I can. It's the same reason why I put a turbocharged 4.2 Trailblazer engine in my 68 Firebird.

2. Sorry if you don't like the #s, but it's a reality. Stock longblock- SC, 325cc injectors, Walbro 190 FP, Supra MAF, modified Downey headers, stock pulley pushing 6-7psi, my own intake tube, FTC-1, IK22's, Innovative WB for tuning, 3" exhaust, Snow water injection. This through a MC clutch, a fresh R151F, 4.56 (w/ synth) gears, on 31" tires. Wait till my purpose-built block & heads go in! If it helps you at all- I do beta testing for some of the aftermarket EFI systems, so I kinda know what I'm doing.

3. Yep- yer right, MANY 5.0's are OBD II; if he swaps over the ECM. My bad- most of the swaps I see are carbureted or TBI setups.

Jeff

PS- GREG_CANADA, that is a sweet 89; I miss mine...

Last edited by 89934runr; 11-04-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:08 PM

I would run a chevy 4.3v6 it the most common swap the second is 3.4supercharged toyota v6 and besides there are more chevy parts than ford
Old 11-05-2007, 12:02 AM

think about how much fun having a v8 in your toyota will be. the 3.4 will be more reliable, but the 5.0 is a much more common engine, if i ever have the $$ to spare i would want to do a 5.0 swap, all that torque of the v8 just makes me drool

unless you want to keep it toyota you might as well go for the v8 if your going to go through all the trouble to do the swap. i dont know about gas mileage and how that will come out but i never thought of my truck as an economical ride, but thats why i got a bike
Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by roundhouse
The obd stuff works on Fords too. The 88-91 Ford is a stand alone computer.

Oil is going to break $100 a bbl very soon. meaning $3.40 to $3.60 a gal or therebouts depending on where you live.
Closer to $4.00 for those of us lucky Californians.....

But as for your engine dilemma, I'd recommend a Buick 3.8. They are light, very reliable motors, and have a very nice, and usable powerband. They are also nice because some of them are factory supercharged, and the engines can be had pretty inexpensively, in quite a few cases, under $1000 for a used one. But that's if you know where to look, and where you live, too.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 AM

1. I didn't mean to 'own' anything; I'm obviously biased toward the 3.4 having done my own rig that way. I also strive to keep things lighter when I can. It's the same reason why I put a turbocharged 4.2 Trailblazer engine in my 68 Firebird.

2. Sorry if you don't like the #s, but it's a reality. Stock longblock- SC, 325cc injectors, Walbro 190 FP, Supra MAF, modified Downey headers, stock pulley pushing 6-7psi, my own intake tube, FTC-1, IK22's, Innovative WB for tuning, 3" exhaust, Snow water injection. This through a MC clutch, a fresh R151F, 4.56 (w/ synth) gears, on 31" tires. Wait till my purpose-built block & heads go in! If it helps you at all- I do beta testing for some of the aftermarket EFI systems, so I kinda know what I'm doing.

3. Yep- yer right, MANY 5.0's are OBD II; if he swaps over the ECM. My bad- most of the swaps I see are carbureted or TBI setups.

Jeff

PS- GREG_CANADA, that is a sweet 89; I miss mine...
Ok NOW i believe you can be hitting high 200's (id still love to see your dyno chart for it) but that is quite a few more mods than "just a stock pulley)

I've been thinking of a blown 5vzfe for awhile.. .still deciding on a custom turbo or the trd blower... what do you think? i dont need this thing in the 12's.. but a mid 14 second truck with 33's would be killer... (considering its a high 17 mid 18 now)...
btw thanks on teh truck.. i have the bumper painted and lights on it now....
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s35/Greg_Canada/ look here for more pics if you'd like.
How tough was the 5vzfe supercharged swap? did you use the ORS harness?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just for comparison, I dyno'd my supercharged 3.4 that has a few additional power-parts, 252 rwhp first time out, with a bad coil! I then replaced the coil, and refined the A/F ratio a bit more- bam! 306 rwhp, on a stock pulley...
Wow, that is impressive. What was the A/F ratio running at for that?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:24 AM

You ever dyno yours MT?

Whats your acceleration like compared to the 3.slow? (like what car would you compare it with)
i prettymuch want a sweet 25-70mph accel... highway onramps... my buddys jetta vr6 pulls nice.. .i'd be happy with mine like that...
Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
You ever dyno yours MT?

Whats your acceleration like compared to the 3.slow? (like what car would you compare it with)
i prettymuch want a sweet 25-70mph accel... highway onramps... my buddys jetta vr6 pulls nice.. .i'd be happy with mine like that...
No dyno on mine, but it runs like a bat out of hell. I guess I'd compare it to my BMW 328i (2.8 L I6 with true dual exhaust). No comparision at all to the 3.slow.

I know TRDOLMAN had dyno numbers over 300 RWHP on his 5VZFE but he told me that was with a 2.0" pulley. He also was running no cats, headers and IIRC he was running a little on the lean side too (like around 13).
Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kiff
So I am at a cross roads on what to do with the motor in my truck. Both engines can be had for roughly the same price. I know the 5L is going to be alot more work, but is it worth that work? There are plenty more power upgrade options for the 302 and they are much cheaper. What's everyone's insight?
What type of driving/wheeling do you want to do with this truck?

You might hit up www.rockstomper.com. Scott Ellinger had a 5.0 in his truck years back. It had it's good and bad points. Weight is one of the bigger bad points. It breaks stuff on the trail especially when combined with all the added torque.

I would take a "systems level" approach to selecting your engine. If you don't wheel hard, well you can get away with more engine Vs. breakage. If you do, you might find you are now stressing, or example, steering parts and end up rebuilding and reinforcing a lot more of your truck then you would if you went with a lighter engine.

Frank
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM

Read this article...http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=305949

It will show you a lot about what you might encounter with V8 power under the hood.

Frank

Last edited by elripster; 11-05-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

That's a bad link Frank, I think it has too many https.

In addition to the weight I wouldn't like the extra size. Seems to be a very tight sqeeze to get a V8 in there and still have room for a radiator and fan.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:58 PM

I fixed it. Yeah I wouldn't do this V8. It wrecked his front diff, etc... If one HAS to do a V8, look at the newer lower displacement engines which are still quite powerful while being lighter. There will likely be some CAN issues to work out but a smart shop can help there.

Otherwise, go with the V6. I mean you really need to think about how much power you need Vs. want and more is not always better. In 4low you hardly need any torque to crawl. The power is really to improve street driving maybe also help you in the sand/mud if that's your thing. Even then you don't need 4 million horsepower.

Frank

Quick Reply: 5.0L vs. 3.4L