Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

22RE (OEM) to 22RE (Keith Black).

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 AM
JPL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 22RE (OEM) to 22RE (Keith Black).

Thought I'd post up about my "swap" (eventhough it's not a v6, v8, or turbo diesel). I'm having a local performance shop do all the work but I figured I could update this thread with the whole transition from a worn out 22RE with 263,000 miles that burns oil, extreme loss of power (compression: 130,130,130,and 90) to a newly rebuilt to spec 22RE KB edition 9.7:1 engine with performance cam. Also thought I'd mention that I commute monthly between Page,AZ (4,300 ft elevation to 7,000+) and Show Low,AZ. My primary use is highway with occasional snow and sand off roading when needed.

Rig: 1991 Toyota 4Runner 22RE, 5spd, 4x4, SR5.

Engine: 22RE KB edition long block [Keith Black hypereutectic pistions 9.7:1, and 272 "highway" cam]. from Zack Lee @ ZukiEngines.com

Other goodies: Pro clutch kit and EGR delete plates from Wes @ LCEngeneering.com

And other work: While the engine is being swapped out I plan on replacing my leaking P/S fluid leak: P/S pump, hoses, and steering box. (I'm going with stock remanufactured parts because I'm already way over my budget with this engine swap).

I did tons of research (never enough) on the performance engine and parts. I found many great shops that build the 22RE and quite a few that I knew I should avoid. Most shops require a few weeks sometimes 6 weeks to build such an engine for the 22RE. I called about 10 different companys before finding ZukiEngines. My situation made it very hard to decide who to go with because I needed an engine delivered and installed by the 28th of this month (2 weeks with the second week being thanksgiving). I had it narrowed down to 4 companys but nobody keeps these quality built engines just laying around ready to ship. I explained to Zack my situation and he was able to juggle his current project since he had a little extra time to complete it. In other words I got very lucky! I should receive the long block either monday or tuesday. I'll keep you guys updated on the process and result.

Question: I am on a budget for any parts from here out, but what should I replace or add with this swap other than the usual gasket set or seals?
Also, Does anyone have experience with a similar built engine? How does it compare? Pros, Cons? Thanks.

Last edited by JPL; 11-16-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have not heard very good things about Keith Black set-ups. Search around here on the topic and you will see why.

Basically the rings on those do not seat very well (the metal is too hard)...leading to lots of blow-by and oil consumption. However, if your builder is good and you trust him...then go with it.

Last edited by snobdds; 11-16-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why KB hyper pistons ? What factors, other than a fancy name, helped you make this decision ?

I ask cause I'm curious...

Any head work being done ? Injector work ? Since you have it torn down now would be the time to do additional machining to allow your parts to work together.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 PM
JPL

Originally Posted by Sensei
Why KB hyper pistons ? What factors, other than a fancy name, helped you make this decision ?

I ask cause I'm curious...

Any head work being done ? Injector work ? Since you have it torn down now would be the time to do additional machining to allow your parts to work together.
This is a performance motor built for the high compression pistons and cam, a complete long block so all I have to do is swap all my exterrior parts onto this new rebuilt engine. I like the power gain from a higher compression KB piston and the larger cam for more top end (may lose torque though). Forge pistons are overkill and overpriced IMHO. I have a lot of hill climbing with the elevation change I go through when commuting between northern AZ to the wht. mountains. This setup should be fine with my stock EFI, injectors, manifold, intake, etc. But I do plan on doing a full 2.24" exhaust system with headers and cold air intake in the near future.

Here are the basic specs on the performance engine I'm having installed:

· Bored painted block

· KB hypereutectic 9.7:1 Performance Pistons

· Turned crank

· Taiho Bearing set (Japanese)

· Resized rods

· New head casting w/ 3 way

· HP valve springs

· New head bolts

· New Italian valves

· Stage 1, 2 or 3 Performance camshaft

· HP Springs

· Pistons and rings (Japanese)

· OSK Timing set (Japanese)

· High flow Timing cover (installed)

· Aisin High flow Oil pump (Japanese)

http://zukiengines.com/store/#ecwid:...roduct=2194600

Last edited by JPL; 11-16-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:11 PM

Great project! sorry if I missed it but What color did you pick? and Whats the warranty like? Your rig is gunna be sweeeet!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:26 PM
JPL

Originally Posted by sc87yota
Great project! sorry if I missed it but What color did you pick? and Whats the warranty like? Your rig is gunna be sweeeet!
I went with the semi-gloss black and it has a 3 month warranty, but the builder said if I ever have any issues with it down the road he'd look at it for free, and if it's not my fault (i.e. running too lean, rich, or abuse) then he will fix it free. He's delivering the long block in person from Silver Springs,NV (that's a 14 hour drive).

This builder caters mostly to off road racing, so I'm sure it'll work for my application (highway, future towing, and minor off roading).

My truck is currently in the shop and the engine should arrive tuesday morning. I would love to do the work myself but I only have a single car garage. I commute once a month 260 miles each way and didn't think I would make it back home. I'm one week 3 of my surgery recovery (last week) and need it ready by November 28th. I spent more than expected so it might be spring till I start up on new projects.

Last edited by JPL; 11-21-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 PM

JPL, I am not here to throw water on your fire but here is what i have experienced with a motor setup similar to what you have listed

I ordered a long block with KB pistons and a high volume oil pump on it. (not from the same mfr) I have around 10k on the motor.

I cannot keep oil in the damn thing. Consumes a quart or so every a tank of gas (ie ~250mi). I have done my oil pan twice, (three times if you count original install) and replaced the front oil seal.

I can't imagine it is leaking all this oil as it does not leave a slick where its parked.

My advice, if you go with this setup. Do put an oil pressure gauge on it.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
do yourself a favor, search on here for OER or oregon engine rebuilders, he builds a similar setup with those pistons. I would NEVER run those things in ANY engine. Junk, pure junk and yet, OER continues to market this "lifetime" warranty setup, but then blames user and replaces parts with lower quality stockish part even though you paid for the "performance" engine.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mYnAmEiSmUd
JPL, I am not here to throw water on your fire but here is what i have experienced with a motor setup similar to what you have listed

I ordered a long block with KB pistons and a high volume oil pump on it. (not from the same mfr) I have around 10k on the motor.

I cannot keep oil in the damn thing. Consumes a quart or so every a tank of gas (ie ~250mi). I have done my oil pan twice, (three times if you count original install) and replaced the front oil seal.

I can't imagine it is leaking all this oil as it does not leave a slick where its parked.

My advice, if you go with this setup. Do put an oil pressure gauge on it.
Is your tail pipe oily by any chance? If yes then you have massive amounts of blow-by and your rings never had a chance to seat.

Also, did your builder use a torque plate when he honed the cylinders?

Your not the first to have this issue with K.B. pistons...
Old 11-21-2011, 01:26 PM

I was not looking to flame the guy, but yes, John from OER built the motor back in 2008 iirc. (would have to check receipt)

No mention from him about torque plate on the hone.

Yes, it blows oil out the tail pipe. I had previously thought it was vapor mixed with soot or something.

I may be looking at a rebuild of the bottom end of my old block... I guess it was a good thing I ate the core charge.

Engbldr was back logged at the time, I needed the engine asap and he mentioned OER.

Oh the time a quick search could have saved.... LnL

aight /hijack (sorry, also was not my intent)
Old 11-21-2011, 02:27 PM
JPL

Wonder where all that oil is going??? If it doesn't smoke or leak... that's very strange. I sure hope I don't run into that same proplem. From the little research I've done, seemed to me the main issue with KB pistons is improper gap on piston rings and/or simply the piston rings.

Zack Lee use to be a builder for 22RE Performance and has been building these long blocks for some time with confidence using KB pistons.

I'll keep this thread updated with any issues I may have, but I hope I'm part of the lucky few and don't experience any strange issues others have experienced.

No problem, I'm glad people are letting me know about these issues (even after the fact). I don't mind and it's not really a hijack because it has to do with the parts I'm having installed. Also, just got word the engine is arriving wednesday so I doubt it'll be done before thanksgiving holiday.

Last edited by JPL; 11-21-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:21 PM
JPL

Here's how my truck as it sits today. Waiting on parts and running out of time..

I brought my Valve cover home so I could clean it up and get it painted, I'll post pictures when it's done.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Since you have time I would be working on that throw out bearing (if your puting in a new clutch). In needs to be pressed off and the new one pressed on. That is what held up my swap, the person I took it too used the dog ears as a pressing point. Well it broke and I spent two days waiting on a new part from Toyota.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:42 PM
JPL

I sure hope they know how to remove the throwout bearing, they're a performance 4x4 shop that specializes in Toyota. The clutch kit comes with a new one, but it wouldn't surprise me is something else delayed the project.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:54 PM

I forgot your getting it installed at a shop...they should know what there doing.

I am interested in this with the Keith Black pistons. I had Jim at 22RE Preformance build my motor so if this man of yours trained under Jim, it should be good.

Last edited by snobdds; 11-21-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM
JPL

Originally Posted by snobdds
I forgot your getting it installed at a shop...they should know what there doing.

I am interested in this with the Keith Black pistons. I had Jim at 22RE Preformance build my motor so if this man of yours trained under Jim, it should be good.
Good to hear, sure hope his quality is as good or possibly better than Jim's work (if that's possible). Finally a glimmer of hope.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:03 AM
JPL

Working on the Valve cover while waiting for more crucial parts to arrive (currently holding up the swap). The engine is out, long block is ready, engine bay has been pressure washed, still waiting on the new long block and clutch kit...

Going for more of a classic look on the Valve cover:
Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 AM
JPL

I now have everything EXCEPT for the pro pressure plate from LCEngineering.. Good news is that I should be able to extend my time off work since my truck will NOT be completed by monday morning.

Zack Lee arrived this morning to personally deliver the freshly rebuilt performance long block to the shop. It looks very nice and clean, Can't wait to see how it runs.

I delivered the valve cover and other 90% of the parts to the shop this morning and got a few pictures of new engine..

Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 AM

No ARP Head bolts?

Did they go with the updated rocker arm shaft that are drilled to support higher oiling of the cam. I found that was the single biggest improvement...I no longer have the valve tick inherent with the 22r series motor.

Looks good...
Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 AM

JPL - Sweet!

Quick Reply: 22RE (OEM) to 22RE (Keith Black).