Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Axle housing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle housing?

so I snagged an axle housing out of an 83 yota for my SAS. got a good deal 100 bucks. but its just the housing, since I'm coming from IFS land I am not sure of everything that I need to complete the axle. I also have the 3in IFS eliminator from trail gear. watched a ton of videos and did a bunch of research but no one really talks about the axle portion they kind of just put it on its already prepared. also if there is aftermarket things I should be looking at that the kit doesn't provide feel free to up my knowledge on the subject. btw I have a 91 3vze pickup
THANKS
Old 02-11-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Low range off-road did a YouTube video series of the rebuild and parts of a Toyota solid front axle. They sell all of those parts as well. You need to also beware of bent housings as many times when they aren't a complete axle guys are selling bent housings.

As far as aftermarket parts there's a ton. Depends what your budget is. Definitely do backing plate eliminator. Rock rings are a good addition as well. If you are going to get into heavier rock crawling trunion bearing eliminator and six shooter knuckles will help.

Last edited by Yotard; 02-11-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Depending on brakes you intend to run. Front range offroad has a bracket to run Taco brakes with IFS wheel hubs but takes some machining on wheel hub. Make pulling knuckle easier than the Camo method. Some Taco brakes will require 17" rims to clear calipers. FROR has details. There is a way to use IFS locking hubs..

Need to figure out how you'll do front brake lines. I cut of an IFS mount and welded to frame out of way then trimmed backing plate so all it does is hold other side of brake line.

X2 on having housing checked for a bend.

As far as other parts you can go from mild to wild.

Parts will add up price wise so the more you can salvage from your IFS the better.

I'll also warn you about some after market parts like spindles, I replaced my worn stock spindles and come to find out the the bearing fit very tightly on spindle which created problems later. I should've test fit better. And after realizing issue thought I'd fixed it with some fine grit sand paper but seems not as well as I thought. Also had issue with brass bushings. Good bit of time with a rat tail file to fit axles.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:26 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I am in a similar situation as OP, except im am still looking for axle donors. All i keep finding are $1000+ complete axles that look completely stock and trashed, needing a full rebuild im sure. Saw this today, but how would I know if its bent before I buy it? And is it even worth buying just an axle housing??
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pt...983761744.html