Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Tinkham - 5/26/2004

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinkham - 5/26/2004

Another attempt at the summit foiled by snow. It looks like the road curves to the right in this picture but it actually goes straight, the drift is still as much as 15' deep in places.

We did get past the hillclimb without much difficulty though, here's some videos.

Ben (GRNTACO) in the tank trap
Don in the tank trap
Shane on the hillclimb, finding the line [15MB]
Rob (WATRD) on the hillclimb, making it look easy
Ben on the hillclimb
Don on the hillclimb
Old 05-27-2004, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Tinkham Washington Summit!

Well, almost...

Last night a small group of us night-wheeler types took on Tinkham again in our ongoing effort to make the summit. It was me, with ChrisCo riding shotgun, Shane, Ben (GrnTaco) with Victoria, and DonCo aka "Token" our sacrificial Jeep with his lady Lin in the passenger's seat. As we were airing down, Craig, in his "low rider" Chebby S-10 4x4 spotted us and joined in.

We made our way up to the infamous hill climb, where Shane went first. He had some difficulty negotiating the climb with his passenger side wheels in the snow bank and his driver side wheels on the loose dirt and in the holes, but after a few attempts, he crawled his way up. I went next and walked right up. Shane says that he kicked some dirt up and made the trail easier so that was possible, but the rest of us decided that Shane should just stick to the flatter sections or get some 'real' tires. heheheheheh

Next up, Ben had little trouble and made it look easy. Token came along behind in his Cherokee with dual lockers and also crawled right up. Finally it came time for our hanger on, Craig to give it a shot. Plain and simple, with no lockers and about 2" of ground clearance, he wasn't going up. So we parked the Chebby and Craig rode with Shane.

Once we were all at the top of the climb, we headed for the summit, only to be stopped by the mother of all snow banks. Yep, up there, there is a drift and the snow is still 15' or so deep where it's drifted into a draw in the trail.

Electing not to take on a 15' deep snow bank, we did some exploring and got to see Token take on another snowy section where his rig looked like a "weeble". You know, it wobbles but it won't fall down. That thing has got some SERIOUS lean to it. Eventually we grew bored of throwing ourselves against the snow, and we headed back down the hill climb to explore a few side trails the "Night Crew" have not been on in a long time.

There are pictures and videos sitting on various cameras right now, so if you voice an interest in seeing them, I am sure that those in possession will be more motivated to post them promptly I didn't take a one It felt too good to be out on the trails again, so I was just enjoying it

Last edited by WATRD; 05-27-2004 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:43 AM

Two threads are now one.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Perfect! Thanks! I hit "Post" right as your mail about this thread came in

Thanks guys! That was BLAST!
Old 05-27-2004, 09:03 AM

I am in the same boat as Rob on the picture thing (too much fun to take pics). The four pictures I took of the hill climb were covered in the video.

I seen DonCo taking pictures and I would like to see what he has.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:36 AM

how many times you guys go up to Tinkham? I havn't been up there in a while. :cry:

Last time i went i used 1/4 tank of gas just getting up the summit from North Bend.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:41 AM

Ben- do you have a locker?
Old 05-27-2004, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sad I wasn't there... The 8th then?

Kevin - Ben's locked front and rear. It makes a TON of difference. An ARB front is SOOOO next on my list!

Serith - This is the 4th time this year. We made the decision after the 1st one to keep trying until we got to the summit. Once we do that, then we'll probably wander to Mt. Gardner for the night runs.

EDIT: I just watched the videos... Umm, Ben... I think you're lucky that Shane dug out all that dirt for ya'!

Last edited by midiwall; 05-27-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:23 PM

Like Mark said I am locked..............it makes that hill climb childs play We still have a 15' snow drift to conquer before we set foot on the summit.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
EDIT: I just watched the videos... Umm, Ben... I think you're lucky that Shane dug out all that dirt for ya'!
LOL

That was doable when we were there on Monday.....................the more I think about it the more I think you and Rob had something going...

EDIT: *shacking head* 1985 Celica :pat:

Last edited by GRNTACO; 05-27-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by GRNTACO
EDIT: *shacking head* 1985 Celica :pat:
You betcha' baby!
Old 05-27-2004, 03:11 PM

You betcha' baby!
Finally figured out WTH you guys are talking about. This should be.... amusing... :pat:
Old 05-27-2004, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shane
Finally figured out WTH you guys are talking about. This should be.... amusing... :pat:
Glad you figured it out.....................this is going to be fun
Old 05-27-2004, 04:23 PM

wait what? my friend wants to sell his 85 civic so he can finally get a taco if anybody wants to buy one!

but what are you guys talking about?
Old 05-27-2004, 04:30 PM

Surfing with the knowledge of ye' friends and wheelin' partners will bring answers to those who ask the questions.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:19 PM

Wink

You betcha' baby!
Ah! Can't wait to see this.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Surfing with the knowledge of ye' friends and wheelin' partners will bring answers to those who ask the questions.
I looked around and searched for half an hour and still don't know what you guys are talking about? Any links for us not in the know?

Looks like you guys had a blast up there. How far away is the summit from the drift?
I know that Shane was braking trail but I had to laugh when his video was 4 minutes and Ben drove right through the same spot. I'm sure there was all kinds of razzing after that one.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Waterboy
I'm sure there was all kinds of razzing after that one.
And during, and before... Notice though that none of them tried a new line, they just followed my tracks.

On the Celica thing, some NUT signed up for some club organized run with some random car.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:27 PM

crazy kids! yeah i searched for a half hour and gave up.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Shane
And during, and before... Notice though that none of them tried a new line, they just followed my tracks.
After the ruts you carved on your third and fourth attempts, none of us had any choice about taking another line

Quick Reply: Tinkham - 5/26/2004