Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Southeast Fall Colors Run - Nov 5-7 @ Tellico

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me in!

1. Waskillywabbit (maybe my 85 will be ready by then)
2. Bamachem
3. seaflea and Mrs seaflea
4. Bain
5. Brett and Brandy
6. Jonathan
7. keisur - J (possibly Mrs. too)
8. justinh
9. mikeys 87
Old 09-08-2004, 05:19 PM

I'm down.

2. Bamachem
4. Bain
5. Brett and Brandy
6. Jonathan
8. justinh
9. mikeys 87
10. evilcow
Old 09-08-2004, 05:47 PM

2. Bamachem
4. Bain
5. Brett and Brandy
6. Jonathan
8. justinh
9. mikeys 87
10. evilcow
11. Ravencr (Chris and probably wife this time, Kristen)
12. Paul (Ravencr's Friend) Probably

Chris
Old 09-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Woo hoo

I'm gonna try to remember to email Steve tomorrow and see what is going on at Tellico that weekend and how the campground booking looks.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 09-08-2004 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

I'm gonna try to remember to email Steve tomorrow and see what is going on at Tellico that weekend and how the campground booking looks.

Sounds good. I'll be getting a water/electric site again with my pop up camper. The site will hold about 2 tents other than my camper. You can usually get about 2-3 tents per site.

Brian, ask Steve about getting the creekside sites again.

Does anyone know if Tellico closes anytime during the year?

Everyone bring some firewood! I'll bring some pine lighter wood and whatever firewood I can fit.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:19 PM

with the baby on the way and the new house under our belt money is tight so i am going to get the opinions of those that have already been.

right now my 4runner has the suspension lift and 285's trxus mt's.

i already have front and rear diff's set up with ARB's and 5.29's, problem is, i don't have the ARB compressor or anything else, so i haven't installed them yet. I also have manual hubs ready to install but wanted to do it the same time i did the diffs. also have a 2" body lift on the way soon (need it to fully clear the 35's that will be matching the 5.29's). i also don't have sliders. here is where you come in...yeah i want it all done before but it isn't likely that it is going to happen. being a fulltime student cuts into the funds big time and the work week too.

my thoughts...i really wanted to wait on the 5.29's until i get 35's and i don't really need new tires yet, nor will i by november. so i was thinking i would go ahead and install the 2" bodylift and try to order some sliders and get those welded on and just hit the trails open with the lift, tires, sliders, and probably the manual hubs since my right CV has trashed the inner boot.

but, for all those who have been what would you recommend?
Old 09-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

If you're gonna get the body lift anyway, then go ahead cause it's cheap and then you can get your sliders set up for the bodylift. The only thing that I would deem necessary is the sliders. I ran Tellico with 32's the first time and had no problems other than some dented skidplates. You'll be fine though-unless you get wild and tryout Slickrock or Helicopter Pad or Lower 2 or a couple of others. Me, I plan on running trails 4,5,6 and 8. The same trails that I have run everytime, but they are still fun. Try the harder trails and you'll need that other stuff-I doubt that most people on this trip will try those-although I bet Chris (Ravencr) probably will talk someone into trying them with him.

Don't worry, you've got plenty of goods for the trails-work on the sliders and you're more than ready.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
2. Bamachem
4. Bain
5. Brett and Brandy
6. Jonathan
8. justinh
9. mikeys 87
10. evilcow
11. Ravencr (Chris and probably wife this time, Kristen)
12. Paul (Ravencr's Friend) Probably

Chris

Chris-you trying Slickrock this time? I think you'll need a winch for that last ledge just before the top!

What was the guy's name that had the Taco on 35's from Auburn? Anyone contacted him?
Old 09-08-2004, 07:45 PM

thats kinda what i figured, hopefully, i will have the bodylift in hand within a couple of weeks and then i will work on sliders. i want to get the hybrid, square tube/round tube sliders from either stubbs or demello. we will see who can get them out the fastest and most reasonable. i will have to hold off on the installation of the body lift and sliders as long as possible since the wife is a bit shorter and due to her enlarged state she can barely get in and out as it is with the running boards on. at least at that point she will just be a month or so out. after we pop this baby out of her she can hop in and out again right now though i just feel evil making her get in the 4runner. if my tuition grant comes through i may get everything done, but i doubt it.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dragr1
-although I bet Chris (Ravencr) probably will talk someone into trying them with him.
I usually don't need too much arm twisting to follow someone into battle.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justinh
thats kinda what i figured, hopefully, i will have the bodylift in hand within a couple of weeks and then i will work on sliders. i want to get the hybrid, square tube/round tube sliders from either stubbs or demello. we will see who can get them out the fastest and most reasonable. i will have to hold off on the installation of the body lift and sliders as long as possible since the wife is a bit shorter and due to her enlarged state she can barely get in and out as it is with the running boards on. at least at that point she will just be a month or so out. after we pop this baby out of her she can hop in and out again right now though i just feel evil making her get in the 4runner. if my tuition grant comes through i may get everything done, but i doubt it.
Why not get up with Brian (waskillywabbit) in Tuscaloosa about the sliders? You could probably drive to T-town and get some like his installed cheaper than you can order them from California and I believe they are the style you're looking for. I would recommend Trailcarnage in Newnan, but he is supposed to be moving in the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur

Slickrock is pretty nasty, we saw a jeep roll there last time and most of the jeeps on that were locked front and rear and still had to winch the last leg. But if anyone wants to try out, I'll do what I can to winch you up it if you don't make it. I have never seen Helicopter pad, but some dual locked Taco's did it last time and lower 2 has been done by a Taco on 35's, so anything is possible-I'll volunteer to get it on camera if anyone tries it!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

like I said "follow." if he does it and makes it, I would do it and try to make it. but if a taco with 35's did it, the ground clearance on our trucks might drag a little at the top it it's as hairy as you say. I'm fully locked and hopefully gonna have a wench by that time, so you never know.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:27 AM

Keisur, you'd make it way before I would, that's for sure. I'm just locked in the rear, but we'll see when we get there.

Chris
Old 09-09-2004, 04:17 AM
Banned

LOL this is going to be FUN!
Old 09-09-2004, 04:24 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Battle

Well, if you are going into battle on those trails that Brett mentioned, you'd better get some sliders and a winch beforehand AT LEAST lunk head! You'd better get some SLIDERS anyway or you'll be sorry! :cry:

Originally Posted by dragr1
Why not get up with Brian (waskillywabbit) in Tuscaloosa about the sliders? You could probably drive to T-town and get some like his installed cheaper than you can order them from California and I believe they are the style you're looking for.
All you would need is a bit a tubing and some scab plates...cause you could use what I got left of my sliders (I don't see them getting shipped and being cost effective, not too mention a PITA)and some black paint (mine are scratched pretty good from the last trip). My bud Scott could fab that stuff up and weld them on in a afternoon, especially since it is a 3rd gen and he's already done it once.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 09-09-2004 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:38 AM
Banned

...I also have to get ahold of Bain to see about getting a set of sliders prior to the trip. that way there won't be anything holding me back from trying some foolish stuff, hehe. maybe I'll talk to the wife about a winch too.
You'll need the sliders to do the trails we hit last time unless you don't mind lower body damage. If you want to try slickrock or 2 or helicopter pad, then a winch will be mandatory unless you want to back out. I have a 12,000# come-a-long (only a 6' pull though), but using one to winch up slickrock might be a little embarassing for you since there will be a crowd...

Since June, I've gone from 265/75's to 285/75's, no winch to a M8000 w/ syn line (on order), plus I've got a RB 1" BL in the garage that goes on in a week and a half.

Last time I bumped and grinded on my belly (and sliders) so much w/ the 265's that I have about a 14 gallon gas tank now () and my XF case protection plate is smashed up against it.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

yea, I've already attempted to contact the dude on 4ROC for a set of sliders but I have yet to hear from him. I'll have them for sure by then but whether they are Bain's or RB Bolt-ons is TBD.

for a winch I've been eyeballing the M8000 with roller but I have yet to get the green light from the mrs.

Ordered new cv boots yesterday and I plan on Sunday fixing the front diff and the boots.

Last edited by keisur; 09-09-2004 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:15 AM
Banned

Go stubbs or custom ones like Brians for sliders. He has the CAD plans if you can find a good fab man locally.

I'll have a roller fairlead up for grabs in a couple of weeks. I'm going UHMW black for the syn line. I saw yesterday that M8000's are now going for $595 shipped on eBay - about $80 more than they were in May.

I'll keep my eye out for TWO used ones. One for you and one for Ms. Indecisive (Brian) since (s)he sold me the one from the '00 in planning for a 9000# for the FZJ and now needs another 8000# for the 85 runner he just bought.

Last edited by bamachem; 09-09-2004 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
Last time I bumped and grinded on my belly (and sliders) so much w/ the 265's that I have about a 14 gallon gas tank now () and my XF case protection plate is smashed up against it.
Well, if i go i'll be running 265s. Brett did it and he wasnt too bad, just gotta pick the right lines.

Quick Reply: Southeast Fall Colors Run - Nov 5-7 @ Tellico