Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Newbie run, WA

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie run, WA

Hey guys in WA, who is looking for a newbie run. Not too hard of trails. Perfect for those "don't wanna dent my ☺☺☺☺" guys. We will be bringing up a 2007 FJ Cruiser on mud terrains and a rear e-locker, and my 98 4runner ltd. on Mud terrains and a rear-e locker. We are going to Reiter Trails sometime mid-May.

Who wants to come?
Old 04-28-2007, 05:52 AM

I was sort of thinking the same thing and a number of people have been asking me where to go up here. Reiter Pit is a good place to start.

Count me in.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:19 AM

The FJ is my mom's rig. She came home and I was tooling around (just came home) in the dirt outside our house so she brought the FJ back and was weaving through the ruts and over some rocks and some inclines. After that she was itching to do some wheeling.

If you have a few people that want to go, you can set a date and we will conform, or the other way around. Whatever works.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:53 AM

12th and 13th are off limits for this trip.
That's pretty much it.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:32 PM

The 26th too.
Second annual Kirkland to Leavenworth run, schweeeeeet!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:02 AM

K, so we decided we will go THIS SATURDAY.
If you want to tag along....I'm not sure what time we'll be there, probably around 11am or so.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:18 PM

Will be meeting with an older toyota, a brand new wrangler, the fj, and me in the 4runner. Should be in the lot at noon.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:14 AM

Not that you'll get this now but yes I'll see you at Reider parking lot around noon.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:08 PM

Well I was there but I didn't find any YotaTechers but I did run into some guys from CORE 4X4.

Here is an interesting obstacle;

That stump is pretty close;

No - I'm tellin ya that stump is really close

Ack! (notice the light under the right rear tire) I'm teetering back and forth.
The stump is about an inch from my door.

Push

Success and not a scratch

And lastly the FJ in its natural habitat;

Last edited by KD7NAC_07FJ; 05-29-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:20 PM

Sounds like fun! can sorta count me in but unsure of which sat you are referring to. Cinco de mayo? or next sat? I've been going atleast once a week for the past month and a half.

KD7NAC...haven't seen that trail but got close just like that going up this and

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u254/jdizzydub/ReitersPit010.jpg
[/IMG]
down thru here, clearly thought I was gettin body damage.

Fill me in, and I'll be in Chelan for Memorial weekend, maybe hit Moses dunes on the way out!
Old 05-05-2007, 07:21 PM

oopps sorry.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:31 PM

It was today.

The trail I went up was May Creek trail that goes up around to Lake Isabel just east of Wallace falls. There are about 4 good obstacles and the FJ performed fantastically! I skipped out on the last one because it was a slab that was wet and way to slick by the time the other four jeeps went up it and I don't have those kind of tires.

The CORE 4X4 guys were duly impressed by the FJ
Old 05-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Man I wish I had a little more notice..everytime I get up there we find new trails and things to get into. This last time up, I thought I was gonna loose my Runner to this monster gravel hill!

Coming down backin up the weight of the engine pulled the passenger side paralell to the hill and the whole driverside was lifted. It would've tipped and slid or tumbled down it was so high. Seriously the scariest time of my life---I have pics and vids, but i need to figure out how to get the video uploaded.

Definately the stupidest thing I've done in my Runner.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:53 PM

Well, the FJ just sort of putted around, played in some mud holes, did some hill climbs and some mild rocky sections. The 4runner got it's first run in rocks and I swapped paint with some trees...

I did one of those mini-trails, tighter than I thought it would be in my walk-through. FJ was not allowed on this trail, and now I'm glad it wasn't. As soon as I got on the trail there was a tree that I needed to turn around with large exposed roots. Got my front tire over the roots, started to get the back over and all of the sudden...BOOM the truck pivots and I leave silver paint and pick up some red...oh well.

Later on, on the same trail it was a winding left. I was coming down hill between 2 very close trees where the trail was dug down on the trees about 2-3 feet. (Figure it's all mud in the spring/winter) and one of the roots was hanging out and looked scary. I had 2 passengers in my 4runner and I'm watching this root come less than an inch from my doors (hefty ass root) I get it past my back driver side wheel well and go "sweet...came off spotless" and a loud boom. Quarter panel got smashed in and I picked up some more red paint! I left white this time. I kept all my glass, that's all I cared about. Coming up this obstacle on the way back (trail got too narrow about 50 feet up) I got up, there was still mud in the bottom. I try and hang wide on the corner to preserve my passenger side and I hear dreaded wheel spin and the 4runner starts losing momentum. Click the locker switch and up I go! Got out of the trail with no other incidents.

Another cut-through trail in the 2nd pit, just a little ho-hum nothing thing and it was a sharp downhill, cut right, then left with exposed tree roots on both sides... I cut left get my tire on top of the left roots. I slide off the left roots, and smash into the right roots. My passenger goes (Oh, man...you got that!) and I just said "f it" and gave it a little gas. I was gonna do more damage trying to back off it. Long story short, my 4runner is missing the silver limited trim off the passenger side rear door, the door is intact.

I got thrown the keys to the FJ and went to play around a little while my passenger in the 4runner got to drive my 4runner. I started down this little drop down and felt the pivot...back tire about a foot and a half off the ground because I stupidly dropped the driver side front tire into a huge rut off this drop off. I should have aimed more for the middle. FJ owner was in the passenger seat and wasn't worried until I started trying to set it down and only felt the rear come higher off the ground and I went "Oh ☺☺☺☺..." put just let out the brake slowly and steer hard left and it hopped back on all 4. I decided I HATE the visibility in that FJ and will never get behind the wheel off road again...way too scared to make it less pretty.

We missed the other FJ. We got stopped by the Sheriff up there, he just wanted to comment on the FJ being up there, lol. I later caught the Sheriff trying to jump his Expedition in the 2nd pit, LOL...

Last edited by wa4x4; 05-06-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 AM

Expedition was it? I'll have to give Dane a hard time about that

Was the FJ a Voodoo Blue. I past him going the other way on my way up to the pit. He may have thought it was me but by that time we were way you the trail.

Next time we'll have to coordinate better and try to get some better notice so others can join in.

I'll be trail cleaning (cleaning out dead fall) at Trout Creek out of Index next weekend if anyone is interested. Compared to the May Creek trail Trout Creek is nothing.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 AM

I'll probably come along if I have nothing else going.

He wasn't neccisarily jumping it, but going over bumps and lifting the front tire, just having a little fun. They really are doing more good than harm out there, so I'd let it be.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:50 AM

I'm still down for whenever..my sliders should be here in a couple of weeks and I'm on my way soing shackles and recovery stuff. Still trying to find a place to keep that beast of a high lift jack i have.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by wa4x4
I'll probably come along if I have nothing else going.

He wasn't neccisarily jumping it, but going over bumps and lifting the front tire, just having a little fun. They really are doing more good than harm out there, so I'd let it be.
I work with Dane so I have to give him a bad time. It's my duty all in good fun.

Last edited by KD7NAC_07FJ; 05-07-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Alright, if you haveta. He seemed like a good guy. I was just going down one of those gravel roads with my seat belt off and when I saw him coming I snapped it on (he totally saw it) and when I drove by he just smiled and waved. He looked like he was just trying to have a little fun while doing his job. I know I would be doing the exact same thing if it were my job to be out there.

"Sorry sir, I don't know how my Expedition got all that body damage...." lol...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 PM

Doh!
I forgot prom is on saturday!!!
Whoops!

Quick Reply: Newbie run, WA