Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Need some advice...Moab and CO

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice...Moab and CO

My brother and I (at least) will be taking our trucks out west finally to run some of Moab and some stuff in CO. Two week trek, leaving around the 15th of June '12. Mainly for the experience of driving our great country, see the incredible views, and have a good adventure.

We both have Tacomas, however that is where the similarities stop. His is a 00 V6 5-spd TRD with Allpro coilovers and rear springs and front bumper. Mine is an 04 4cyl 5-spd SR5 that will be a little more armored than my sig says by the time we leave. I will probably add a front and rear bumper and a limited slip for the rear.

Do the ABS axles, front or rear, swap with non-ABS? We will have to grab a couple of things like thermostats and that sort of consumable, but does anyone think we will need spare rear axle shafts? I would almost rather get some chomoly ones installed than have to pack something like that.

We are still in the stage of planning and figuring the outfitting and maintainence before hand cost as we as the actual trip cost. Any input from those that have done this sort of thing would be great, I am sure that I we will forget something.

Thanks folks,

Brandon
Old 10-19-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Front axles are the same as long as both trucks are ADD or both trucks are manual hub.
Rear axle shafts and hubs do not interchange between abs and non ABS. I highly doubt you'll need rear axle shafts. I've been wheeling on 35's for a year and haven't had any issues (and that wheeling consists of Moab, the Hammers, Arizona, etc..).
Also, forget the limited slip. Go with an actual locker.