Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

It's desert season-So Cal run planning thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just went out to ocotillio wells for an overnight camp out last night. the weather was awesome not cold at night, not hot during the day, no wind.....
we gotta do another trip soon..............
Old 11-15-2004, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

I checked to see if Los Coyotes was still open, it has been shut since Labor Day.
I say either we go to the Superstitions or Truckhaven-both will have something for everyone.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Marc P
I checked to see if Los Coyotes was still open, it has been shut since Labor Day.
I say either we go to the Superstitions or Truckhaven-both will have something for everyone.
Sounds good to me! I'm still hoping to head out that way this week to fart around and visit some of the scenic areas in the anza park or ocotillo area.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:33 PM

When and where are you guys going to meet?

Also, are there any 1-3 trails? I have an 04 Taco with TRD, 31's and 2" lift.

Jim

Originally Posted by Darx
Sounds good to me! I'm still hoping to head out that way this week to fart around and visit some of the scenic areas in the anza park or ocotillo area.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Smiling_Jim
Also, are there any 1-3 trails? I have an 04 Taco with TRD, 31's and 2" lift.

Jim
There are plenty of things in Ocotillo to do with that setup. It's a fun place because you can just wander around and try and get yourself into trouble, not with the law but with your truck. There are some areas that are restricted and you should keep to the roads/trails but other than that you will have fun out there.

As for Superstition I've never been so I can't comment.

For some pics of the last big outing to Ocotillo back in March you can check out my gallery at http://users.adelphia.net/~mattkeen/...ls20040320-21/

Here's the thread from the last trip out as well. Should be some other pics there taken by others who went towards the end of the thread.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/san-diego-anza-borrego-yota-jambo-3-19-3-21-a-26950/
Old 11-16-2004, 05:54 AM

superstition is a blast because there is a little of everything for everyone
Old 11-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

I am leaning more towards Truckhaven now, because in January is the big organized run to Superstitions. Truckhaven is a huge 4x4 playground with easy and difficult areas. I am still open to other ideas, but it looks like it will be a small group.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

I am leaning more towards Truckhaven now, because in January is the big organized run to Superstitions. Truckhaven is a huge 4x4 playground with easy and difficult areas. I am still open to other ideas, but it looks like it will be a small group.
Marc do you still have coordinates to some of the things in Ocotillo? I remember you were using GPS to get us around.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Matt
I have some on my GPS, but they are all in the So Cal backroads and 4x4 trails book. You should run to Barnes and Noble and get one---tons of waypoints!

I hope you make out with us--otherwise you better get down here for a Carveacre run!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Matt
I have some on my GPS, but they are all in the So Cal backroads and 4x4 trails book. You should run to Barnes and Noble and get one---tons of waypoints!

I hope you make out with us--otherwise you better get down here for a Carveacre run!
Yeah I have to so cal 4x4 trails book coming and it should be here by early next week but I'm hoping to head out there maybe Thursday just for something to do. I'm going to try and make this one.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:02 PM

Have we decided on a date yet?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

I am planning on the weekend of the 11th.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

here are some pics from Truckhaven--there is something for everyone--

Truckhaven Hills
Old 11-17-2004, 08:20 PM

I was out in Anza Borrego last weekend.

It was awesome, the weather was perfect! Mide 70s with a ton of sun.

My brother and I did a ton of trails,

Truckhaven
Calcite Mine
Coyote Canyon (at night, all 9.5 miles)
The Squeeze -> Pinion Drop Off -> Sandstone Canyon
Octillo Wells area -> Pumpkin Patch

I'd never been out to Anza Borrego, it was a most interesting trip!

Old 11-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sveltax
It was awesome, the weather was perfect! Mide 70s with a ton of sun.

My brother and I did a ton of trails,

Truckhaven
Calcite Mine
Coyote Canyon (at night, all 9.5 miles)
The Squeeze -> Pinion Drop Off -> Sandstone Canyon
Octillo Wells area -> Pumpkin Patch

I'd never been out to Anza Borrego, it was a most interesting trip!
Very Cool! You had a busy weekend!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:39 AM
Contributing Member

How was Coyote Canyon? I heard the storm we had washed a lot of the trail away.

I have done all the trails you did, just not in 1 weekend!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:22 PM

Coyote Canyon

Coyote is pretty washed out but very doable. Most of the hard parts are very short, 10 - 15 ft. Large rocks were the biggest obstacles on the climbs. We ran into 2 toyotas on the way up on Thursday night. One was an older 4 runner with open diffs, it was having problems with a few areas with large rocks especially if it had a turn.

The scariest part of the weekend was Pinion Drop Off. We stood at the top and visualized the line, there's no turning back at that point. My bro made me turn off the camera.. didn't want any carnage to be captured on video. I did get the 10 minutes of video needed to get through the squeeze.

We actually did all the trails in 2 days, Thursday and Friday. Drove down on Thursday morning, hit Truckhaven then the Calcite mine, then back down to Truckhaven. It was about 5pm by the time we decided to head for our camp up at the top of Coyote Canyon. Got to Sheep Canyon at about 8pm.

On Friday morning, we headed down Coyote to Borrego Springs, got gas and hit the long haul around to the Pinion Trail. Finished Pinion at around 3pm, headed over to Sandstone Canyon. The bro and I wanted to see Pumpkin Patch (it was a total let down!). We camped Thursday night near S22 after visiting Pumpkin Patch.

It's really weird camping now with the sun going down so soon. We had eaten dinner and looked at our watches and it was 6:30pm and we were ready for bed by then. I hate the sun going down so early! We headed back to LA on Saturday morning. Got home about 11 am. What a great weekend, and we still had half of Saturday and Sunday left. I'm ready to head back out, I love the desert in the winter!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

I had the same feeling about Heart attack hill aka Pinion dropoff--my wife got out of my truck and closed her eyes as I went down, then walked down. The first hole flips you back tire up like 3 feet.

I want to do that trail again, but I dont want to be responsible for people banging up their trucks on the squeeze.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

I got my book a couple days ago and it has a few of the Anza/Ocotillo trails. The book I got is called "Backcountry Adventures - Southern California". It's a big book and not only has trail information but history about the towns in the region and notable people.

Trails for Anza/Ocotillo(their rating system is 1-10):
  • Grapevine Canyon Trail(3) - Starts off S22 and makes it's way into Anza-Borrego
  • Mine Wash Trail(2)
  • South Coyote Canyon Trail(6) - Three water crossings but the first is usually dry.
  • Truckhaven Trail(5 detour around washout rates a 7 and is the only way around) - Not to be confused with the Truckhaven Hills area in Ocotillo.
  • Fonts Point Trail(2)
  • Arroyo Salado Trail(3)
  • Calcite Mine Trail(7)
  • Fish Creek-Sandstone Canyon Trail(3)
  • Arroyo Seco del Diablo Trail(5)
  • Vallecito Wash Trail(3)
  • Dos Cabezas Road (3) - Wanders in and out of Anza-Borrego Park
Pretty cool book. Most of the trails seem easy enough but there are some tough spots on some whcih bump up the rating. They also list ratings, 1-10, for scenery.

Oh yeah, I got my Hella Black Magics wired up today so some night wheelin' sounds like fun too! Hope I can make it!

Last edited by Darx; 11-21-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:57 AM

i just did the arroyo seco del diablo solo last weekend that's pretty easy if you go down diablo dropoff if you go up it could be hard for unlocked vehicles, but nothing a tow strap could'nt help with. the scenery up off of hwy s2 is just beautiful too.

Quick Reply: It's desert season-So Cal run planning thread