Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Costa Rica by way of Mex. and Cent. Am.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica by way of Mex. and Cent. Am.

Not sure that I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes.

I am a student in the Natural Resources Dept. at Hocking College in Nelsonville, Oh. I have the opportunity to spend winter quarter in Costa Rica (Jan-Mar, 2011).

Long story short, I want to drive down there and back. I own a '95 runner that is essentially bone stock. It's a 3.0L w/auto trans.

Mods: I plan on 4:10s and ARB Air Lockers (front and rear), fabricating front and rear high clearance bumpers w/reese style recievers for a winch mount, a roof rack and front and rear spare tire hangers. (I weld) I am not new to wheelin' or yotas (owned 2 fj40s), but am new to the 4runner.

Also I am a little longer in the tooth than most students (will have had my 40th B-day before the trip). Any advice from anyone who has been south of the boarder would be much appriciated. Additionally any words on mods not concidered that have worked (or not) that might help. Look forward to going and will post pics and maybe blog it.

Jay
Old 04-07-2010, 06:00 PM

I've driven Connecticut to Southern Baja in a 4Runner. 4Runner is the perfect vehicle for the trip, parts were readily available in Mexico.

Try this site for more tips.
http://www.drivetosouthamerica.com/index.html
Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 AM

Thanks Todos,

Great link and a wealth of information. Also good to know there's a source of parts south of the boarder.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Lots of 4runners running around Mexico/Central America is that's any indication.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CR trip

It's been quite a while but I've ridden--as a kid--several times both down and up from Costa Rica (we lived there from 1969-1974). I travel a fair amount in Mexico now.

First, NO mods are necessary at all unless you are really going out-of-the-way places (and have the time to do so). Occasionally more minor roads might be closed for rockslides or flooding during the rainy season but mods are of questionable use in these cases. I don't know how much you've searched but the major roads are really pretty good and in some cases, from more recent experience, can be even better than those here.

As in any travel, carry some spare stuff but with a Toy parts and repair should not be a problem. I do usually carry two spares but I do that here too. Unleaded is readily available but know that gas stations are full-serve. I have never gotten bad gas but do carry a handheld calculator and run the numbers before paying (usually cash, exchange available at most banks (safer); know general exchange rates before you go but know they will fluxuate) so you know what the final cost is and what your change should be. Attendants Will try to squeeze the absolute most into your tank, not sure why.

Use common sense in all things. I have NEVER had a problem but a friend of mine just returned from Costa Rica, Caribbean coast, and was held-up at gunpoint. My Costa Rican aunt says things are more dangerous than they used to be. But DO NOT, under any circumstances, carry a gun of any kind or any ammo; do not try to hide them in your vehicle. I would not carry other weapons either. There will be lots of military or police checkpoints but you'll usually be waved through--if you have nothing to hide (for sure no drugs) you should be fine.

Clearly you should research the importation/entry laws for each country you'll go through. Carry several dupluicate copies of all your vehicle, insurance, and personal docs. I don't worry much about leaving my vehicle for a bit but preferably not overnight and try to park it somewhere you can keep an eye on it (often you can pay a kid or someone to watch it and they have always done me well--the large majority of people you encounter will be friendly and honest, just don't be an "ugly American" and try to speak Spanish, helps). Don't be concerned, you'll have a good time but be prepared for some challenges, delays, and aggravations.