Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

april 7th - 9th san diego crew superstition or somewhere run

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marc I think you are tired because you are repeating yourself! LOL
Old 04-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
Marc I think you are tired because you are repeating yourself! LOL

Stupid computer I need another beer
Old 04-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah whatever. That is how you pad your post count.
Delete? Oh great now people are gonna wonder what the heck I am talking about!
Sorry back on topic.

Last edited by ecchamberlin; 04-04-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marc- that is a sick GPS you got, I looked it up online. Nice stuff! congrats.

Eric- If you didn't have to core that axle, would it be rebuildable?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:57 PM

Oh yeah, Eric what about the inner boot off of your axle that you're gonna return? Would I be able to replace the torn one on my spare CV with that?
Is it very hard to change them out?

I wonder if the desert is gonna get any of this rain?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 PM

Drunken Josh says: I'm really bummed iI cant make it out this weekend. The 1st gen roll bar will make a great extingusiher mount Mikey heres the gps coords and map.....

hope this helps. Hope this isnt really the "last" run of the year. I'm always down for a carvacere run. Hey before you you guys are at super ill post the coords to the breakdown spot so you guys can relive yourselves to regain the superkharma. rock the waterfall!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:32 PM

Speaking of getting ready, I'm putting on some Downey shackles, greasable bolts, and some custom extended brake lines on the Taco. It's her turn. I Seafoam'd the hell last oil change so she's running pretty freakin good. Tested it on the 4Runner first of course and it actually made a slight difference. Anyway 72 hrs and counting......
AG
Old 04-05-2006, 12:44 AM

Hey Josh, which coord is the waterfall? I don't want mikey climbing the wrong waterfall.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

I took it apart to see how it all works in there and it is not actually broken. It just angles so much that the ball bearings on the outer popped out and chipped the outer star looking thing. So Yeah as a core they can rebuild it. It was a 130 core so I will be taking it back tonight.

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Marc- that is a sick GPS you got, I looked it up online. Nice stuff! congrats.

Eric- If you didn't have to core that axle, would it be rebuildable?
Old 04-05-2006, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobT2k
Oh yeah, Eric what about the inner boot off of your axle that you're gonna return? Would I be able to replace the torn one on my spare CV with that?
Is it very hard to change them out?

I wonder if the desert is gonna get any of this rain?

As a mater of fact yes. The inner boot is good to go and you are welcome to have it. I actually was real careful at removing the clamp straps and they are good also. I was really suprised at how simple the CV's go together and come apart so I think you could easily do it yourself. I'll send a pic of what I have.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
I was really suprised at how simple the CV's go together and come apart so I think you could easily do it yourself.
What, you're gonna make me do it??!!??

Old 04-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

What, you're gonna make me do it??!!??

LOL I will help you out with it. I will say in all fairness that I have never completely put one back together. Cannot be that hard.

I will bring all your stuff to Superstition this weekend
Old 04-05-2006, 12:25 PM

Gents & Ladies, looks like we'll be heading out on Friday evening as well. Probably no later than 7pm.

Just got my cb this morning and I should have it working by Friday night.

Just curious, where did you guys mount your cb radio especially, you guys w/3rd gens? I don't want to hard mount it so that I can move the cb & antenna from vehicle to vehicle.

Anyone have an SWR meter and know how to tune the cb & antenna?

-Cesar
Old 04-05-2006, 12:55 PM

I have a meter and at least a dozen tuning hours under my belt. I gotta say, I don't like tuning antennas with non-tuneable tips. So if your antenna is not adjustable, bring something to cut it......hacksaw if prefered and some other tools.

I'll bring my meter, but to make it as easy as possible, leave us some access to the coax.

There are alot of factors that come into play when tuning a system, so don't be surprised if we can't get it by just adjusting the antenna. For instance, my buddies XJ setup was a pain. First he had a bad antenna (We verified it). Then his new antenna showed that there was not a propper ground at his location, so we had to run a 10 gauge ground wire to the frame. Then the antenna was electrically to short, so we were able to correct it by having the adjustment almost all the way out and not using the rubber end cap.

So, as you can see sometimes there is more to it than just tuning. If we're lucky yours will be easy like mine was. Anyway, I'll bring it out for anyone who wants to get tuned.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:40 PM

I got a Wilson "Little Wil" magnet mount antenna. It says that it is tunable. Hopefully, it shouldn't hard to tune it. Thanks for helping me out on this.

BTW, are you guys taking off on Fri night as well? What time?

-Cesar
Old 04-05-2006, 02:19 PM

I may be able to make this now!! have to do a server upgrade Fri/Sat so I'm not going to AZ for WE Rock. if everything goes smooth I may be able to get out there Sat afternoon/evening. just in time to have a few beers and eat!! then go riding Sun.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Seth I may take you up on this alsol. I am gonna go see if I can get a better antena at Circuit City. Mine works okay if we arer close but I am sure you could get me out there much better.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:22 PM

I have the cobra cb that has everything built into the handheld mic, I forget the model #, so I have it mounted behind my stereo console and store the mic in the center storage area.

I also have that same magnetic mount, got it at "mudshack" cb shop on ec blvd. The antenna says it is tunable by trimming the length. the old guy at the shop swore up and down that it wouldn't need to be tuned, as they come from the factory "optimally tuned"

I've had mine for over 2yrs and no problems transmitting or receiving. Even after I lost the set screw that holds the antenna in the base. I've been using electrical tape

I'm leaving Fri night, shooting for 7:30pm.

Last edited by RobT2k; 04-05-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:08 PM

SD Crew

I have the cobra cb that has everything built into the handheld mic, I forget the model #, so I have it mounted behind my stereo console and store the mic in the center storage area.

I also have that same magnetic mount, got it at "mudshack" cb shop on ec blvd. The antenna says it is tunable by trimming the length. the old guy at the shop swore up and down that it wouldn't need to be tuned, as they come from the factory "optimally tuned"

I've had mine for over 2yrs and no problems transmitting or receiving. Even after I lost the set screw that holds the antenna in the base. I've been using electrical tape

I'm leaving Fri night, shooting for 7:30pm.
Hey, maybe we can coordinate to meet someplace. I'm going to my friends after I pack up. He lives in Kearny Mesa area. From there, we'll following each other out.

That's where I got my antenna too, Mud Shack. The old guy is a bit brash, but he seems to know what he was talking about. He said that they've been in business for 30 years. Pretty cool place.

Have you had issues with the paint rub on your rig?

Paint rub was my biggest concern about having a magnet mounted antenna. Again, the old man swore that it will never move 'cause it's got a 100 lb. pulling capacity. So, I went with that antenna.

BTW, I decided that I'm bringing a few of these for the SD Crew. My treat!

Let me know what house keys you have. Kwikset, Schlage, Weiser, or Baldwin. You can come by my shop to get it cut later, or take to your nearby locksmith, or keyshop to get it cut. Notice, I didn't include Home Depot in there? You're taking your chances if you go there, Lowes, Long's, Dixieline, or a liquor store.

-Cesar
Old 04-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

The nice thing about mag mount antennas is that you can tuck the antenna inside your truck when you're not using it. I run mine through my divided rear windown in my Tacoma when I'm using it and I put the antenna inside my cab when not wheeling.

The Cobra handset you talk about, Rob, sounds like the 75WXST. I love that CB.

Quick Reply: april 7th - 9th san diego crew superstition or somewhere run