Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Any Oregon offroaders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by courtgordon
you didnt miss it the trips on April 13th in a few weeks if your wantin to go click the link below

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/...g-trip-278723/
Ended up going earlier this month.
Went up to diamond Creek it's pretty close to sourdough but took all of a day, went swimming was a blast I'll keep ya posted when I get another meet set up.
This is in southwestern Oregon btw
Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Wow it has been a couple years since I have been on here. Taco is still running with 440k miles on it. It has a strange rough cold start up and then smooths out after 10 seconds and it is fine the rest of the day. For some reason I am thinking a slow leaking injector. Deposits too much fuel causing the shaky start up but once it clears it is fine!?! Not really a clue. Not sure what is going on there but have been so busy I haven't had time to look at it.

Work sucks as usual.

McGrew trail is for all wheelers. There is the hard parts and the medium and then there are easy spots too. I took my 96 Stock Taco up it just fine. i took it through Picket Creek which is basically a creek bed. Just have to take it slow but McGrew trail is totally makeable.

Even though I am basically an hour away from Medford in Sunny Valley i would go for being in a Yota club
Old 12-03-2014, 08:20 PM

is there anyone around Medford OR that likes to wrench on Toyotas? I am in the middle of a build probably through the end of next year before I am trail bound but sure would like to be around a few people who like to work on them. I am pretty handy and know a fair amount plus I am usually pretty good at research and application of said research. It would be cool to have friends into this stuff as most mine are not.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:07 PM

Raises hand

I am in Sunny Valley. About and hour away. I wouldn't be able to make it there often because I have so many vehicles lined up to work on at the moment but I am willing to help out wherever I can and when I am available.

I just did a fuel pump on a 2000 Chevy S10 and tomorrow I am working on a 1957 Unimog. Send me a message and I will get back to you when I can
Old 12-05-2014, 11:23 AM

I'm 2 hours away, Brookings trying to get people to plan a wheeling trip over here is a pain, bunch of flakes
Always wanted to try Mcgrew
Old 12-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Yeah I am by no means quiet ready to wheel as my truck is in many parts and I am doing a full rebuild from the ground up and using a 2wd to do it. I am on my way for sure as parts are starting to get ordered and the front axle is slowly being cleaned up. No offense but brookings is a ways away to try and set something like that up. I would be interested when I am ready but I don't want to lead you on like that is happening anytime soon. I was more hoping to find local Toyota guys who wanna hang out maybe get a club going. Though I still can not even be a major contributor to that until I actually have 4 wheel drive haha.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:09 AM

I'm in Portland looking for yota guys who know these trucks better then I. Mainly drive up to mt hood and check old forest roads in search of trails and good camping sites. I've got a stock 86 sr5 single cab long bed with 31"s but new locker coming soon wondering if I should upgrade gears for future tire size upgrade before I install the Aussie locker. Anyways wanting to do the back country discovery route from Washington to California this summer. Any one ever done the whole thing?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:21 PM

well if you are going to have it out for the locker and can afford to buy new gears I would do it. If you are not planning on switching out tires very soon then I am not sure it would be worth it. I have heard alot of things about this trail. I would totally be in but my build is looking like its a year maybe a year and a half out!!! wish I could be done tomorrow but thats how full builds go. Lots of time or money but never both!
Old 12-23-2014, 11:28 AM

Well I can pick up a locker for 300 but gears I don't feel like it's worth the money until I buy bigger tires. I could do a locker in a day in my brothers garage installing 2 sets of gears will wait till nicer weather. I just know I'm gonna have to take the locker out when I put new gears in but I just bought new tires this last spring so I have some rubber to really burn until I go out to get new tires. Plus I'm in the process of putting a Zuk mod and trying to figure out best way to do the front ifs for 35s I want to have as little lift as possible for no rubbing. The trail seems pretty amazing just a nice overland survivalist trail
Old 12-23-2014, 04:19 PM

putting a locker in and then regearing and putting 35s on ifs??? so what happens when you tuck your tires on like 7 inches of travel? I have owned both an IFS 4runner and a straight axle and I would never put the money for new gears a locker and 35s on my IFS system. though it could wheel just as well in order to run 35s you will be killing your ball joints and the travel is so limited with out throwing alot of money at it. I guess if all you are looking for is a logging road truck with big tires it could be ok but be prepared to spend money pretty frequently on axles and ball joints and get to know them well. Im not a "you need to have a straight axle to wheel a truck in the woods" type guy but you better have some money behind an IFS system to have it perform well. The trail is in my dreams for sure. I will be on it one day but I have three kids and a wife so its 4 years out for me. I have to first build mine and then hers. At least shes totally on board and has less to do on her truck might be able to squeeze 3 years for that one!!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:39 AM

Yea I know the IFS is a pita to lift right with out killing the cv and the ball joints. I thought about just cleaning her up real nice and trying to trade for a straight axel

Any Oregon offroaders?-image-2282805180.jpg

That's it right now
Rear end has a sag
Engine has idle issues I'm working on
Old 12-24-2014, 02:50 PM

thats a pretty clean ride man. looks a lot nicer then mine at this time haha

Name:  2014-10-17180634.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  97.8 KB

Ill be on the road just not for sure when. I am fully rebuilding mine from start to finish. got a garage full of parts and a financial plan but with three kids and a wife its a little bit slow. Ill have a full expedition truck when its done though pretty much all brand new with a lot of extras for probably right around 10 grand. Ill be on that trail not to long after. Ill be lifting the wifes jimmy and we will hit the oregen back country discovery route but like i said still probably three years away.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by chosenchange
putting a locker in and then regearing and putting 35s on ifs??? so what happens when you tuck your tires on like 7 inches of travel? I have owned both an IFS 4runner and a straight axle and I would never put the money for new gears a locker and 35s on my IFS system. though it could wheel just as well in order to run 35s you will be killing your ball joints and the travel is so limited with out throwing alot of money at it. I guess if all you are looking for is a logging road truck with big tires it could be ok but be prepared to spend money pretty frequently on axles and ball joints and get to know them well. Im not a "you need to have a straight axle to wheel a truck in the woods" type guy but you better have some money behind an IFS system to have it perform well. The trail is in my dreams for sure. I will be on it one day but I have three kids and a wife so its 4 years out for me. I have to first build mine and then hers. At least shes totally on board and has less to do on her truck might be able to squeeze 3 years for that one!!
I have to disagree with you on the ifs with 35's argument. My '94 has been running 35's for the past 4 years and I haven't had an issue with ball joints or cv axles at all. This pickup is my daily driver as well as my weekend wheeler and hunting rig (fairly mild to intermediate trails). I have a 4 inch rough country lift with the 2 inch ball joint spacers from Brian at wabfab. I did regear to 4:56's and am running a detroit tru trac in the rear. I personally have not had much experience with wheeling in solid axle rigs so I can't make a good comparison there but as far as the suspension parts wearing out I've yet to experience this. Just my two cents
Old 01-06-2015, 05:42 PM

well mudd duck maybe you are lucky or I have been around unlucky people not really sure. Like I said though I am not a Straight axle is the only way to go guy" I just know I spun three axles in my 94 4runner and I had a small lift and 32s. It could have been the parts could have been poor driving or the truck not sure. I have yet to break an axle in a straight axle set up but it happens. sometimes when working with older trucks it is better to swap and run all new rather then constantly replacing parts or even replacing all of your ifs gear to new. I have just ran into a lot of people who after spending the money on their ifs set up they still don't get the articulation and travel an axle can give and they kick themselves a little. Its all preference in reality. They wouldn't have switched to an IFS setup if it wasn't better on the road overall.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:39 AM

I really think it all comes down to what you want to do with the rig. I mean if you are gonna be climbing rocks slow then I would do a solid axle. For on/off road good cv axles and a decent suspension lift should do ok with lockers. I feel like there is more to go wrong with ifs just because there's more moving parts needing more lubrication and more attention.
Have any of you seen that show on the history channel Alaskan off road warriors? There's a 1st gen runner with 35s and ifs not sure about lockers but they have a winch and they keep up alright in it.
My big thing with ball joints is that you have to cut the uca. The 4crawler site states that the outer lip is just extra from the molds at the factory. So then how else to lift the front? Extended uca lots of work and money! Or torsion bars cranked now the truck rides like a brick ? So what's the best option for ifs on a cheap budget ?
I think ball joints with the cuts welded back to make it strong again would be the best option for the money
Old 01-10-2015, 10:09 PM

Plenty of wheeling in Obrian Oregon.

Went on a new years run in Obrian and had a blast.
Quite a few water holes, hill climbs, and rock quarrys with a couple water falls to drive up for mild to wild.
About a hour drive for me in Brookings its just west of cave junction i know the place pretty well if anybody wanted to make plans?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:17 PM

I know this is an old thread but is anyone from the Salem area? Just moved here from the coast and am looking for some new places to wheel.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:20 PM

Any Oregon offroaders?

Check out la dee flats outside Estacada mt hood in hood river county has some sweet trails to check out mololla are as well
Old 09-21-2015, 11:35 AM

What about these trails around willamina? I'd defiantly be down wheel up there. A lot closer then molalla
Old 09-22-2015, 02:12 PM

Any Oregon offroaders?

Haven't been up there yet post about trails and meeting up come winter I'll be a little more ready I'm putting in a gm alternator soon and looking for new rear springs so I can get rid of the zuk mod. November I'll be up on hood I think at badger lake. It's quite the drive and really awesome sights if ur not affraid of heights

Quick Reply: Any Oregon offroaders?