Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

To keep, or not to keep?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To keep, or not to keep?

Hi all,

Just looking for opinions here.

about 6 months ago, I picked up an '88 4Runner "SR5" with the 3.0 and auto,
ac/ dual heat, that I overpaid for.
I've put about 400 miles on it since I bought it - it has 160k, and supposidly the timing chain was replaced.
Here's my problem- the body is good ( it got a repaint that covered some body cancer, that wasn't done right) , but the frame is perfect. Interior is "okay", everything works except a squeeky speedo cable, the pass hub will not lock, and the PS window sometimes likes "down" better than up.
I bought this thing as a fishing truck- for trips to the mountains for fly fishing, canoeing, and weekend truck camping.
I have some limited skills for repair, and a few tools. ( I can pull the hub, for instance, whenever I have time, and I have the intake off to replace the TVV that's leaking, but I have mental block against fuel injection)
I've now found that parts are expensive, mechanics are REALLY expensive, and my time is limited. The dealership wants 100 bucks for the TVV!
It's hard to start, and idles poorly for the 1st 20 seconds or so...I think maybe its an injector issue.

Now you have the picture: here's the question:
I've got about 3 grand sunk into this thing already, between buying it, paying a mechanic to replace valve cover gaskets , a new radiator, and a few other things.
my GOAL is a decently reliable weekend fun truck...that will fit a 9' rod without tearing it apart, has decent power, and doesn't eat gas at 3mpg.

Should I try to sell this thing, take a loss ( probably 500-1500 bucks) , and get something that has more parts availability and ease of maintenance?
or am I better off working through the problems myself, or trying to find a decent mechanic to work through it all?
As an FYI, just like everyone else, money IS an issue- but I'll have maybe another $1000.00 I can put into it by March. the bi^&h of it is I love this thing, even bone stock.

Thanks for your input!

Jim

Last edited by puddlejockey; 01-16-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: edit- fixed a few typos.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sidenote:
"Thanks" to whomever moved this post to a more appropriate forum from the original- there are so many threads on here that navigation and proper placement is a challenge
Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
In my opinion, almost every other vehicle you buy in the price range you are looking for is gonna have issues. If not then then the seller is lying. lol.

For inspiration look at 92 Toy's rebuild thread. He sounds very similar to yourself in mechanical knowledge etc etc, but with the help of this site, has been able to do a headgasket job on his 92 Pickup and pull the 3.0 motor from his son's 88 4runner among some other things here and there.

Granted he did take a while to do these things, but juggling 2 kids, a wife and a stressful long hour job it's understandable.

Some inexpensive tools for some jobs are worth their weight in gold when compared to labor rates to have a mechanic do some things. Like a valve cover gasket for one.

Your in the right place for help and Toyota knowledge so I say keep it and work on the little things here and there and it won't seem like a big challenge nor will it seem like it costs so much.

These are only my opinions though.