Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

1985 4runner value?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 4runner value?

I have a 1985 4 runner which is a deluxe model Auto w/A/C. Do not ask who might order something like that back then but I guess he did not like the power options as found on upper end SR5 model - right?

Anyway, I am trying to determine a fair value. Interior is flawless, a few dings on hood and one small ding right rear quarter ( Hardly noticeable.) All original except CB installed in dash below stock stereo - looks stock. Engine had 200,000 miles when totally rebuilt on original block back to stock and where some new parts might upgrade since 85 that was done. 10K miles on new engine runs incredible and starts 1st crank... While in rebuilding replaced Torque converter and installed new heavy duty Flex plate. I think what they call "heavy duty" is really just original stock spec flex plate as compared to one I got originally which was quite thin and not even close to the one that was in it. Most all external motor parts also replaced like 02 sensor, temperature sensors, EGR valve ect ect... Original paint Crème color with some fading and the decals are also faded. Rear top in perfect shape and good tires. Muffler system all new from exhaust manifold back - stock. Heavy duty deep cycle battery last 12+ hours and cranks if you leave lights on

Any other questions ask if you have an idea you are willing to share go for it... I have seen less vehicles go for crazy amounts just want to get an idea....

I was going to put this in for sale but it says not to use that for testing water. I am tentatively considering trading for similar PU and get some cash...

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 1985 4runner value?-taco.jpg  
Old 05-26-2017, 07:50 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I'd say $8500-10, i could be way low, but more pics would definitely help.
eBay or another auction site would be your best bet for most $$. At least search there to see what some have gone for.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my honest opinion here, I don't mean anything by it: I know I, and many many others are afraid of the automatic transmissions in these trucks. The value is going to ultimately be up to how much someone wants to pay. I think most guys are gonna want a manual. If it had one I'd say 10K EASY it's so nice. But the auto kills it for me. Then again I don't have $10,000! Lol... What I'm getting at, is wait for the right buyer. If you end up taking $8500-9000 for it, you'll probably be OK with that down the road. Good luck with the sale boss!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
Just my honest opinion here, I don't mean anything by it: I know I, and many many others are afraid of the automatic transmissions in these trucks. The value is going to ultimately be up to how much someone wants to pay. I think most guys are gonna want a manual. If it had one I'd say 10K EASY it's so nice. But the auto kills it for me. Then again I don't have $10,000! Lol... What I'm getting at, is wait for the right buyer. If you end up taking $8500-9000 for it, you'll probably be OK with that down the road. Good luck with the sale boss!
Yes no doubt about Auto. I figure anyone who got this would definitely switch to manual which is no big deal really. I cost it out and depending the sourcing of parts pretty cheap actually. A donor vehicle could be sourced cheap by just looking around CL. CL would be best vs a junk yard...
Old 05-26-2017, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
eBay or another auction site would be your best bet for most $$. At least search there to see what some have gone for.
I'll get more pics up soon but thanks for the reply. I am going through vehicle and having all the liquid and goop replaced so to whoever does buy/trade can "plug and play" down the road....
Old 07-19-2017, 03:12 PM

More Pictures:
Old 07-19-2017, 03:16 PM

More Pictures of truck ...........
Attached Thumbnails 1985 4runner value?-img_2113.jpg   1985 4runner value?-img_2119.jpg   1985 4runner value?-img_2121.jpg   1985 4runner value?-img_2123.jpg   1985 4runner value?-img_2124.jpg  

1985 4runner value?-img_2126.jpg   1985 4runner value?-img_2136.jpg   1985 4runner value?-img_2137.jpg   1985 4runner value?-img_2138.jpg   1985 4runner value?-img_2140.jpg  

Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow that 4runner is pretty. I hope mine can come out like that
Old 07-22-2017, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
Changing over to 5 spd as we speak
Old 07-22-2017, 03:49 AM

Above more pics...Plus it will be a 5 spd here shortly
Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That's awesome that you're 5-speeding it. 5 years ago when I picked mine up, I was looking for this exact truck. A clean '85, m/t base model with a/c. My thinking at the time was that all the fancy options were more things that'll break. Unfortunately I didn't have even half of $10k to spend, so got what I paid for.

Someone will want it for the higher figures listed here. Good luck on the sale, looks like a really nice vehicle.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 58rennur4
Changing over to 5 spd as we speak
Just out of curiosity why do the conversion if you have it for sale?
Lot of work

I would love to have this thing just to drive
Old 07-23-2017, 03:02 AM

Just out of curiosity why do the conversion if you have it for sale?
Lot of work

I would love to have this thing just to drive
A few reasons: Although "for sale" I want a pickup and $$, so not so likely as a straight sale. I found an 87 rusted pickup ( more then I want to get into restoring) only needing front brake calipers and shifter bushing but otherwise ok - mechanically. If I buy the pickup for 500, do the switch to my truck, but switch the auto to the pickup, I can have my cake ( 85 4 runner) and eat it too ( auto pickup for sale). So basically get paid to do transfer if I sell pickup for 800 or so, and the value of the 85 increases - right ?
Old 09-07-2017, 10:52 AM

IT IS A 5 SPEED NOW!

Good Bye Automatic hello 5 Spd..All went smooth good install...

Just waiting on some leather to widen gap between leather boots so I can install and clean up shifter area. Need to wire reverse lights and 4WD light - might run to clutch as well. I have the neutral safety switch jumped, but generally need to clean up all the wires.

I also ordered the 65 in steel wrapped clutch hydraulic line I hope works well - looks clean...( See picture)

The transfer box and manual tranny sound good and acting well. I am running some standard gear oil now but once the MT90 gets here will switch out to that in both. I also ordered some new fill/drain plugs from Marlin to install.

Since engine rebuild not a drop of oil burned - loving that!
Attached Thumbnails 1985 4runner value?-4spdclutchline.jpg   1985 4runner value?-11-shifters.jpg  
Old 09-07-2017, 12:15 PM

Nice job! That 65" braided clutch line should work well and looks good too. I still have my stock hard lines, but just replaced the short rubber hose to the slave cylinder with a braided line and no problems so far.

​​​​​I have to ask because it's how I'd feel at this point: you wanting to keep it yet? Such a nice truck.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by gsp4life
Nice job! That 65" braided clutch line should work well and looks good too. I still have my stock hard lines, but just replaced the short rubber hose to the slave cylinder with a braided line and no problems so far.

​​​​​I have to ask because it's how I'd feel at this point: you wanting to keep it yet? Such a nice truck.
Well I was offered 10k in a parking lot and given a card to call him. That gets me thinking, but not acting. I would buy a 1st gen pickup if I sold it...
Old 09-07-2017, 01:26 PM

I'm sure you can get at least 10k if the entire truck is in the condition of what we can see in these photos.

There are times I wish I had a truck bed, but not enough to make me want to get rid of my 4runner.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by 58rennur4
IT IS A 5 SPEED NOW!

Good Bye Automatic hello 5 Spd..All went smooth good install...

Just waiting on some leather to widen gap between leather boots so I can install and clean up shifter area. Need to wire reverse lights and 4WD light - might run to clutch as well. I have the neutral safety switch jumped, but generally need to clean up all the wires.

I also ordered the 65 in steel wrapped clutch hydraulic line I hope works well - looks clean...( See picture)

The transfer box and manual tranny sound good and acting well. I am running some standard gear oil now but once the MT90 gets here will switch out to that in both. I also ordered some new fill/drain plugs from Marlin to install.

Since engine rebuild not a drop of oil burned - loving that!
Is the 4Runner nicer to drive with the 5-speed?

With the work you put into it, you have too keep it now!

I'm sure you can get at least 10k if the entire truck is in the condition of what we can see in these photos.

There are times I wish I had a truck bed, but not enough to make me want to get rid of my 4runner.

This is why you buy a truck AND a 4Runner.

Except that is how you catch the Toyota hoarding disease!

It is not too bad for your physical health but your wallet may not feel so good.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota

Is the 4Runner nicer to drive with the 5-speed?

With the work you put into it, you have too keep it now!

Except that is how you catch the Toyota hoarding disease!

It is not too bad for your physical health but your wallet may not feel so good.

I like the 5 spd better as it makes the engine come alive.
Haha, worky worky that is all I know... If I am not working on "this" I am working on "that".
Old 09-08-2017, 03:33 PM

So what would you think an asking price would be?

The vehicle is what you see. Engine totally went through and redone on original block w/ 10lk miles now and not a drop of oil leaking. All the engine components are new like O2 sensor, temp sensors, Distributor wires, and all that kind of stuff. Converted to 5 spd now W56 with gear driven transfer box and as pictured in other threads and runs out incredible. Interior new as can be with the cool rubber floor lining. A/C converted to R134a and blows cold.

The only thing I would say that needs getting done is pulling the windshield out and replace with the new rubber lining. Everyone says put headers on it, but I am all stock so I wouldn't do that - but someone might...

As with any truck sold at any given time there are little things that could be done, but that is the life of owning one.

I would seriously consider a cash/pick up trade for this 4 runner...

Search this Thread