California SoCal California SoCal Chapter

New Here

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Here

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the whole 4wd scene. I just picked up an 00 4runner SR5 with the sport package. Oh, it's a 5spd too. The whole concept of going off road (minus riding quads, but that doesn't count) is pretty new to me, considering I come from a performance car/ road racing type background. I've got a helluva lot to learn, that's for sure. I basically have no experience in the off road stuff, but it looks pretty damn fun, the only place I know of down here is Ocotillo Wells, not sure if that's a good place to learn or not. I did a little bit of research and it appears to me that using a manual tranny off road is much more of a pita than an auto. Oh well, I like a good challenge. Anyways, sorry for the lengthy intro, but, my name is Brian, and I'm down here in San Diego.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 PM

Welcome to YotaTech, Brian! You will undoubtedly learn anything you need to know from this forum. These guys are great!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome...
Don't be bummed about your manual. In fact, if it wasn't so expensive and time-consuming, I'd love to swap a 5 speed into my DC Tacoma.

My best advice to you about learning is to read, read, and read. The search function is very handy when you have a question, and there is a load of info already archived on the site.

Enjoy your truck the way it is, get to know it, and as you do, you'll find what you want to improve or modify. Good luck and welcome to the world of four-wheeling!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome Brian! I've been here for about a year and LOVE this site! Like Tacoclimber said, you really can lern alot here. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

More San Diegans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awsome. Sounds like an excellent base vehicle to wheel. You will have to come out and play with the Socal/San Diego crew. I will warn you though there are a couple guys in this group that are nuckin futs! Just search san diego crew and start reading.

Actually we have a few things going on in the near future if you are interested.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/superstition-9-whos-going-98243/

and a non off roading dinner thing at a new micro brew joint
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/socal-san-diego-meet-n-greet-2-electric-boogaloo-100802/

Welcome to YT!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to yotatech