Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

Be Careful Wheeling -Tacoma Rollover at Tellico (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scofco
That's a day wrecker
and a Toy wrecker!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by init6
You are right, it happens. I think all of us in the wheeling community should use this incident to evaluate our safety equipment. We spend a lot of money on truck mods, but often forget about the safety aspect of wheeling.
which is why this is often over looked and VERY much neccesary---

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...e+extinguisher

<hi jack off>
Old 08-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Gotta wonder, seems awful dumb to be wheeling without the doors on:

1) Body parts hanging out of the cab to be crushed when it rolls over
2) Added structural support? I wonder if the door would have provided any additional support to the cab?

Glad to see no one got serioiusly injured, and provides a good lesson to the rest of us, both as spectators/spotters and drivers!

I totally agreee with you! I had thought about the doors for keeping body parts in (foot and ankle in this case) but hadn't yet thought about the structural impact. I'm sure having the doors in place would have helped. Perhaps not a huge amount, but I'm sure it would have helped significantly.

-Sherpa
Old 08-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Shoot, that would never happen to me!

Yeah, right! Honestly, how many of us are sitting in front of our computer thinking that? Well, we should all be saying, "Shoot, I HOPE that would never happen to me!" It really doesn't take much to roll a vehicle. I am very thankful to say I've never rolled, or even been in the presence of a rolled vehicle, but I've come very close. I saw someone else on his way over and had it not been for the quick reactions of several of the spectators and his spotter, he would have gone over for sure. Did this guy make a mistake? Yes. Could he have rolled without making a mistake? Yes, that is possible as well. Any of us could take the proper line, drive it just right, and have a rock shift or earth crumble under a tire at just the wrong moment, sending us into a roll.

I'm glad the guy didn't loose his leg. I think he was extremely unfortunate to have rolled, but at least he will live, and walk, to tell about it.

-Sherpa
Old 08-19-2005, 09:02 AM
JGM

Does anyone know if this guy was using a locker in the rear (sure doesn't look like it in the front). Any opinions on what the outcome may have been if he chose to use it?

I know there are time when wheelspin is an effective strategy, but looking at the terrain (I've never been there), I would have opted to at least try lockers. Maybe that's wimpy, but I go for less wheelspin and more control.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by JGM
Does anyone know if this guy was using a locker in the rear (sure doesn't look like it in the front). Any opinions on what the outcome may have been if he chose to use it?

I know there are time when wheelspin is an effective strategy, but looking at the terrain (I've never been there), I would have opted to at least try lockers. Maybe that's wimpy, but I go for less wheelspin and more control.
He is locked front and rear with automatic lockers (so yes, both were engaged). Both front tires would not have been spinning if he wasn't locked, only one. Keep in mind, pictures rarely do inclines justice, especially when taken from the top of the incline looking down. That obstacle (Guardrail) is very steep, especially at the bottom, and the rocks at Tellico are by no means grippy. On such terrain, it's often an extremely fine balance between wheelpsin and control.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:21 AM
JGM

Thanks. Makes sense. Pic's also make it hard to see how much wheel spin is actually going on.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

glad to see he's healed up and doing ok, does anyone know if theres a write up or more pics of the "cab mod"
Old 08-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 82trekker
...but I think the point has been made...get a cage!
He finished his cab swap and had it running Monday (started late Saturday afternoon, at a friend's house), trailered his truck home Tuesday, and was at EOR getting an in-cab cage on Thursday.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JGM
Thanks. Makes sense. Pic's also make it hard to see how much wheel spin is actually going on.
There was a ton, no doubt. But on that type of terrain it's necessary, as you have to heat up your tires to get 'em sticky so you can actually get up stuff. Unfortunately, as soon as his got sticky and got traction, it slung him across that lip/ridge, which sent him tumbling.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are some videos of that obstacle of other vehicles (different trip). The line is to the left if you are looking from the top towards the bottom and this is where he was before a bump threw him to the side (same bump almost got Zman2day on here)-he stopped just inches from that same roll. Rolls are very common on this obstacle, so a guardrail (hence the name of the obstacle) was put in place to keep people from rolling all the way down the mountain. The guardrail has been replaced by the cables you see which do a much better job at saving you from rolling down the mountain and almost certain death.

On the vids, anyone with the name "guardrail" is of theis same obstacle. You'll see that it's impressive that he got as far as he did with IFS, and that it is a very difficult obstacle b/c everyone in the vids took the same line he did, except for Jon from AllPro who went right in his buggy (only buggies can go right). Zman2day (mentioned above) is in the white '85 4Runner.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...0&page=9&pp=20
Old 08-19-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by dwh91102
glad to see he's healed up and doing ok, does anyone know if theres a write up or more pics of the "cab mod"
There wasn't a write up done about it, he/we were working within time constraints and didn't have time to really document much.

Here's my pics: http://pics.rickbeatty.com/cabswap
And a friend's pics: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...24915795ABmwjt

There was another recent thread on TTORA about swapping a double cab onto an extra-cab frame. Here's that link: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=14777
Old 08-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

Having only flopped I know that I do not want to flip.

Looking at the pictures I would have to say the guy was crazy and it was plain stupid. After watching the the video of others going up the gardrail, I would have to say anyone thats tried it is crazy and plain stupid.

All kidding aside, that looks seriously hard. From my exsperiance and backround tirespin has never been assosiated with wheeling in good form. It appears to be the MO in tellico however.

I know alot of you are really deffensive about it, but it really looks like he relpaced finess with power. A Hero or Zero approach to the obstical. Had he made it without rolling over, I would be sitting here going " That was f%&$ing awesome, he just plowed up and over blah blah blah" with little thought to the other possibility.

Putting these pictures up for the world to see is taking the risk that people will bad mouth and critisize. My opinion is that I am glad he is okay, It sucks his truck got crushed, and that he pushed a truck harder than it was prepared for( i.e. roll cage, doors, etc ).

edit: attempting to fix spelling and grammer

Last edited by phorunninduke; 08-19-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Dang, that guy is lucky to be okay, I know I'm 5 years late, but just stumbled apon a link to this post today. I rolled my truck a few months back and let me say from experience, that it happens way to fast to react.