93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

questions from new owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions from new owner

hello just bought a t100 96 with 230k miles 4x4 extended cab automatic trans. question 1: on the 4wd stick it looks as though its in 4L which is all the way up if i come down where i can move the stick left to right indicating 2H the 4wd light comes on and its in 4wd it binds up in 4L it does not bind up maybe im just not understanding how it works ive looked for material on this issue and shift patters for the tcase and could not find anything on it any advice would be much appreciated. question 2: would the recall for the steering rod be worth giving Toyota a call and do you recommend i get it done? thank you for your time.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Congrats on your T!
As far as the shift patterns go it goes
4L
I
2H N
I I
4H __I

I went from having a manual to an auto and I found that I had to shift to neutral on the trans before I went from 4H to 4L. This seemed to take the load off the t case when shifting.

Regarding the steering rod, absolutely get that done if it hasn't. It's a safety thing. The dealer and pull your vin and be able to tell its been done.

I bought my 98 with that many miles and it has no signs of stopping now so enjoy it and I hope that helps a little.

Last edited by jskijoe; 12-28-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Diagram didnt show up correctly
Old 12-29-2016, 03:05 PM

Thank you i got it figured out I'm doing the recall on it soon. Having issues smogging atm trying to get this figured out.